Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Bob lamb with massive bloat

• 11-04-2018 8:57pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,970 ✭✭✭

As title says, I went to feed the lambs not long ago and one was swollen massive. I put down a stomach tube but it didn’t do anything-does the rounded edge at bottom of tube need to be cut off so any gas can rise up inti the tube? Or any other advice?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,258 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

As title says, I went to feed the lambs not long ago and one was swollen massive. I put down a stomach tube but it didn’t do anything-does the rounded edge at bottom of tube need to be cut off so any gas can rise up inti the tube? Or any other advice?

Never tried a stomach tube, usually give them 5ml liquid parafin.
    What milk are you using, we'd get very little of it here, they get milk ad lid so wouldn't be prone to big feeds of milk, just little and often

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,970 ✭✭✭farawaygrass

wrangler wrote: »
    Never tried a stomach tube, usually give them 5ml liquid parafin.
    What milk are you using, we'd get very little of it here, they get milk ad lid so wouldn't be prone to big feeds of milk, just little and often

There are getting nourish milk. Ya I gave him liquid parafin, 10mm. He’s not the first lad to get bloat so maybe I’m doing something wrong, but he’s probaly one of the worst. There are getting about 300ml of milk each In one go, was four but three times a day now. Getting access to straw to pick at and lamb pellets. Hopefully the liquid parafin works

There are getting nourish milk. Ya I gave him liquid parafin, 10mm. He’s not the first lad to get bloat so maybe I’m doing something wrong, but he’s probaly one of the worst. There are getting about 300ml of milk each In one go, was four but three times a day now. Getting access to straw to pick at and lamb pellets. Hopefully the liquid parafin works

we've never had a case since we changed to feeding cold milk adlib, don't know if that's down to lamlac or adlib feeding but pet lambs are notorious for bloating

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,970 ✭✭✭farawaygrass

wrangler wrote: »
    we've never had a case since we changed to feeding cold milk adlib, don't know if that's down to lamlac or adlib feeding but pet lambs are notorious for bloating

When do you switch from hot to cold milk? And what system have you to feed them ad lib? Ya I’ve been doing a bit of looking up and they say bob lambs ate a lot more susceptible to it.

When do you switch from hot to cold milk? And what system have you to feed them ad lib? Ya I’ve been doing a bit of looking up and they say bob lambs ate a lot more susceptible to it.

We use a bucket like this.
    https://www.agridirect.ie/product/lamb-feeding-bucket-3-teat

Feed them on warm milk from the bucket four times a day for two or three days. leave the bucket with some milk in it with them on the third day after feeding, they'll usually drink away on their own.
    change over to to cold after another couple days.
    Very important with lamb milk to mix properly
    We use a bucket with one teat for training them as you need to be measuring that they are drnking enough before you join them to the rest of your orphan lambs

• Advertisement
Advertisement