Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advice on stolen iphone

Options
  • 11-04-2018 9:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9,005 ✭✭✭

My daughter had her iPhone lifted from her pocket 2 weeks ago. Usual in back pocket (I know stupid) gets bumped and its gone, outside a place on Georges street.

Its been reported to guards who were great btw. They have cctv footage already of area and are reviewing it. So 2 weeks forward and this morning her find my iPhone thing kicks in and gets an email to say her phone is in Romania!!!

Phone is locked , she gets a couple of emails to say the Sound has been activated, phone erased, and a message will be shown so they can contact owner.

2 hours later and I get a text from apple support saying the find me phone was activated and click on link. It totally got me this link as it looked so genuine, and just as I sent it to my daughter I realised it was a scam. But I was to late as she already clicked in and put in password. I got her on phone and told her to goto her icloud through laptop and change password again

This was all within 3minutes. Low and behold as soon as she went in after changing her password again the iPhone that was stolen has disappeared from find my iPhone. I cant get over how advanced they have their setup.

Anyway she has changed all passwords on everything she can think of and changed apple id on her new phone she got yesterday. Is there anything else she should be doing.

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,678 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Was there a passcode/touch ID enabled? If so the passwords for other things, personal details, etc should be okay. The phone was probably wiped successfully via Find My iPhone. And even if it wasn't they probably would have had to wipe it to get past the passcode. In that case, changing the Apple ID password and security questions, backup email, etc is the main thing.

What your story highlights is that contact details should NOT be entered if putting your phone into Lost Mode unless the phone actually is lost rather than stolen as it can be exploited. Apple should remove this option by right. The reality is that once your phone is stolen it's pretty much gone and protecting your personal details is the most important thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,005 ✭✭✭mad m

Was there a passcode/touch ID enabled? .

Yes both on. It just grates me now that they have got an unlocked iPhone. We knew we were never going to get it back and at very most they would break it up for parts but the sophistication of their operation has surprised me.

Anyway thanks for reply onwards and upwards.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,408 ✭✭✭naasrd

That's unfortunate. I had mine stolen a few weeks ago, the scumbags hadn't a clue about iCloud. I logged in at home, located phone, called cops, they tracked it down and retrieved it about 5 hours later.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,005 ✭✭✭mad m

naasrd wrote: »
    That's unfortunate. I had mine stolen a few weeks ago, the scumbags hadn't a clue about iCloud. I logged in at home, located phone, called cops, they tracked it down and retrieved it about 5 hours later.

That's brilliant. But this was a whole other world. It was like something out of the movies.

Advertisement