Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mick Byrne 200

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,343 ✭✭✭Daroxtar

Legs, head and wife all telling me that the 160 is a far more realistic (and still respectable) option for me this year.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,933 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Daroxtar wrote: »
    Legs, head and wife all telling me that the 160 is a far more realistic (and still respectable) option for me this year.
    You can always cave to peer pressure and do the 200 on the day, plenty f people drop down, just say it at the start :D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

8th time for me! Doozerie will be there too.

A flat run for you... ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

Looking forward to the challenge. By my reckoning it'll be a 230k spin factoring getting to Dalkey and back. By far it'll be the most distance and elevation I've done in one day. Bring it on! :D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,256 ✭✭✭Kaisr Sose

Euro Fred wrote: »
    Could have been me, I went Tallaght, Mount Seskin Road,Sallys Gap, Glencree, Enniskerry into Dalkey done the MB200 then cycled home.

Turned the 200km into 295km.

The MB is a good way to start the summer

You started out at 4am or so? Fair play to you. Quite a warm up. Most people do a few stretches ha ha

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 937 ✭✭✭Luxman

Well, look what just happened.
    My wife and children 'let me off' a trip to the zoo on Sunday
    A buddy of mine puts up a WhatsApp saying he has an entry.
    I said I'd take it.
    D'oh

I have targeted this as my main event for the last 3 years. I changed that this year and targeted the Orwell (done and just about recovered). and now I go and do this. Decision time at the 160 v 200 whether I can complete it or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭Euro Fred

go for the 200k

Euro Fred wrote: »
    go for the 200k
    And as I know the difference in the routes at that point I shall obey. My legs may rebel however

• Registered Users Posts: 8,822 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

Well, all the road markings have been sprayed around Laragh anyways, so no GPS map needed! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 24,995 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Can't remember where the 1st control point is. I know it's on a layby near a bridge/river. Any ideas where and at what distance?

(2nd is Mucklagh Bridge and 3rd Laragh).
    To sort of answer my own question, is it at The Meeting of the Waters? About 70k in.
    Luxman wrote: »
    ...Decision time at the 160 v 200 whether I can complete it or not.
    Do the 200 - it's all in the head - you'll be well able.

(Didn't you do the 200 a few years ago when I met you somewhere on the route?)

• Advertisement

To sort of answer my own question, is it at The Meeting of the Waters? About 70k in.

Do the 200 - it's all in the head - you'll be well able.

(Didn't you do the 200 a few years ago when I met you somewhere on the route?)

I will be thinking the 200. I did cramp up last year at the bottom of a climb, had to lay in the ditch till it passed. Not a sinner nearby to assist :-). That focused the mind with regard to pacing. I have bumped into yourself and Liam a couple of times alright. I love this event.

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭Sunsets On Tuesday

Tenzor07 wrote: »
    Well, all the road markings have been sprayed around Laragh anyways, so no GPS map needed! :D

Do you know if they've sprayed them on all major junctions on the route, or will we need a gps file (especially on the Southern part of the route?)

Do you know if they've sprayed them on all major junctions on the route, or will we need a gps file (especially on the Southern part of the route?)
    From experience, it's pretty well marked although there is a right turn a few kms east of Rathdrum which seems to be missed by a few each year.

For me, the most difficult part is returning to Dalkey at the end - I always seem to get lost.

There was a problem with the road markings in north Wexford a few years ago but in fairness to the organisers, they did warn in advance that heavy truck activity in the area was likely to erase markings.

You're being spoiled all the same - road markings (and foodstops) are rare for an audax event.

You're being spoiled all the same - road markings (and foodstops) are rare for an audax event.

That is very true. But to be honest, it will be tough enough for me as is, so I'll appreciate the help where I get it!
    Thanks for the info too, tells me all I need to know. I will have the route loaded on my phone incase I need to reference it :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,433 ✭✭✭Gerry

Signed up for this and now wondering.. hmm. 3000 metres of climbing! Have attached gpx of the 200 in case that's useful for anyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,450 ✭✭✭Macy0161

Is it generally a mass start? I've done bigger sportives arriving solo, but with a a smaller one I'm slightly concerned about ending up doing the bulk solo!

Macy0161 wrote: »
    Is it generally a mass start? I've done bigger sportives arriving solo, but with a a smaller one I'm slightly concerned about ending up doing the bulk solo!
    I arrived solo last time and although in a group till the first stop it was pretty much a solo effort from there onwards. Quite a few boardsies going so we will all stick togethet😜. I found pacing to be the most important factor with this spin which is not conducive to always being in the same group. I’m on a Spesh roubaix. Black with mad Fluro yellow and orange stripesðŸ‘

• Registered Users Posts: 9,450 ✭✭✭Macy0161

No idea of what I'll be wearing (forecast seems to be fluctuating the last two days), but TCR Advanced Black and with Orange and Blue decals.

I'll be wearing maynooth cc jersey ( blue and white ) and I'm on a white/black/green giant defy

Macy0161 wrote: »
    I wouldn't call it a mass start as such as the numbers doing the 200 are relatively small. Usually a few dozen head off around 8am with a few stragglers following. There's a good bit of short climbing in the first 20k or so the boys are separated from the mountain goats before the first proper climb (Old Long Hill). You may find yourself enjoying your own company for long periods but such is the nature of a long hilly event with limited participants. But don't despair, there'll be plenty of us out there plodding along and we might encounter each other from time to time.

I'll probably be slower than normal this year as I won't be trying to hold Mercian Pro's wheel (he's off doing one of those long walks across Spain).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭Zen0

Every time I look at the forecast for Sunday it seems to change. Ah well, no backing out now!

Zen0 wrote: »
    Every time I look at the forecast for Sunday it seems to change. Ah well, no backing out now!
    Just thinking that myself. It was looking promising a few days ago but not now. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 4,343 ✭✭✭Daroxtar

Just thinking that myself. It was looking promising a few days ago but not now. :(

Doesn't look too bad. Warm, couple of scattered showers and above all.....calm. I did over a hundred km into a headwind last weekend and never felt as bad on the bike. I was dreading a south wind ripping the legs off me early on and then dying all the way back

• Registered Users Posts: 3,477 ✭✭✭rollingscone

A storm on my horizon my wife got home all excited about (hopefully) celebrating tomorrow night then I said I needed to be in bed at early O'clock 😕

Anybody see the weather for tomorrow? Rain till 12pm then grand for rest of the day. Bring a raincoat!

Also, anybody know where the food stops are?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,033 ✭✭✭irishrover99

Anybody see the weather for tomorrow? Rain till 12pm then grand for rest of the day. Bring a raincoat!

Rain all day.
    Roadkill for food.

1. Meeting of the Waters (near Avoca) (I think!)
    2. Mucklagh Bridge (after Brown Mountain)
    3. Laragh (Brockagh centre)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

Eh so Ideal prep from me. Only in from the pub now :P Where in Dalkey serves brekkie rolls at stupid o'clock in the morn?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,477 ✭✭✭rollingscone

No MB for me. Back tyre fcuked 250m from home.

Thought of grabbing my other geared bike then remembered I'm waiting for a back tyre...

• Advertisement

No raincoat needed! What a day.
    I nearly died but made it through without having to get off the bike dying of cramp. Figured out how to pedal through it.
    Great event with great organising club. Good Aul spread and great encouragement and advice from Paul and the rest of the crew. Route was bit crazy but did make sense. Some really nice countryside that you'd probably never hit otherwise and the old favourites. One of the craziest bits was after the second control, road was covered in mud and stones from Motocross riders transiting it. Sally gap was an awful drag but then wierdly at enniskerry I seemed to get another wind and flew the rest of the way to dalkey. Even vico hill wasn't as bad as I had dreaded and I spun up it in 1st gear.

Total time 10:15 moving 8:49
    https://www.strava.com/activities/1600125773/shareable_images/map_based?hl=en-US&v=1527443908

Advertisement