Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Housemate staying unknowingly to letting agency??

Options
  • 11-04-2018 10:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11

Sorry if I'm posting this in the wrong forum. I'm staying in what is meant to be a 3 bedroomed house. However there are 4 occupants in this house. There is one occupant the letting agency does not know about and every time we have an inspection they hide. They do not pay rent. They stay in the room with one of the other occupants in the house. They have been here for 7 months. Are there any laws again this? Any information would be appreciated. Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,599 ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

Michlon wrote: »
    Sorry if I'm posting this in the wrong forum. I'm staying in what is meant to be a 3 bedroomed house. However there are 4 occupants in this house. There is one occupant the letting agency does not know about and every time we have an inspection they hide. They do not pay rent. They stay in the room with one of the other occupants in the house. They have been here for 7 months. Are there any laws again this? Any information would be appreciated. Thanks.

The law would stay out of it beyond regulating the contract you agreed to. If your contract forhids rhis behaviour it coule be grounds for the eviction of all occupants.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Michlon

The law would stay out of it beyond regulating the contract you agreed to. If your contract forhids rhis behaviour it coule be grounds for the eviction of all occupants.

It does forbid it. Eviction of all occupants including myself? So if I was to complain about this to the letting agency I would also get evicted? Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,524 ✭✭✭✭ted1

So you are paying rent and another tenant isn’t ?
    What’s he doing in the house ?

ted1 wrote: »
    So you are paying rent and another tenant isn’t ?
    What’s he doing in the house ?

Basically they are siblings. They share a bed together and pay for rent for one person only. This is student accommodation. It is not ran by a student complex but is instead ran by a letting agency that takes students only for these specific houses. I wouldn't mind but living with them is such a nightmare.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,667 ✭✭✭Klonker

Do the 3 of ye pay straight to the estate agent individually or all together?

• Advertisement

Klonker wrote: »
    Do the 3 of ye pay straight to the estate agent individually or all together?

We pay individually. These two siblings were here before I came.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,667 ✭✭✭Klonker

Tell the estate agent immediately, you won't be kicked out, just them two as it seems you are all renting rooms individually as you didn't move in together and also pay individually.

That is a very unthoughtful and selfish thing that they are doing, I know people can be stuck for money but still.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,510 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

Report it, simple as. They are taking the piss out of you and the other housemate.
    Room will be filled the day after they are evicted

Klonker wrote: »
    Tell the estate agent immediately, you won't be kicked out, just them two as it seems you are all renting rooms individually as you didn't move in together and also pay individually.

That is a very unthoughtful and selfish thing that they are doing, I know people can be stuck for money but still.

Will I have to provide some kind of proof for them? The other person I'm staying with seems to be covering for them too as they are long term friends.

Will I have to provide some kind of proof for them? The other person I'm staying with seems to be covering for them too as they are long term friends.

Give them permission to come round and do an "inspection" when they are going to be there but tell no one else
    Won't take a genius to check the bedroom and realise there are 2 people living in the room

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,524 ✭✭✭✭ted1

It’s not illegal to have more occupants than bedrooms. It’s very common for people to share rooms, otherwise must families in Ireland would be braking the law.
    It’s just depends what’s on the lease. And then the landlord needs to determine if they are licencees could if they are not eviction could be a painful process. What they may just do is increase the rent to cover additional wear and tear.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,568 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

I’d seriously be either reporting this or asking them to pay their share.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭4ensic15

It is contrary to Section 16 (n) of the Residential Tenancies Act, whatever the contract says.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,739 ✭✭✭Xterminator

Hi Op

You are paying the landlord for your room. They are paying landlord for their room ( but 2 are sharing). how does this affect you? Why would you get involved?

What could be the possible negative consequences of getting involved.

Lads could be made homeless,
    you could get a bad reputation with your remaining housemate, and in college.
    And if the lads don't get evicted with them too
    Things around the house could become uncomfortable

What would the possible benefits be?

......<tumbleweeds>......

IMO you mind your own business.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,834 ✭✭✭Captain Flaps

Hi Op

You are paying the landlord for your room. They are paying landlord for their room ( but 2 are sharing). how does this affect you? Why would you get involved?

What could be the possible negative consequences of getting involved.

Lads could be made homeless,
    you could get a bad reputation with your remaining housemate, and in college.
    And if the lads don't get evicted with them too
    Things around the house could become uncomfortable

What would the possible benefits be?

......<tumbleweeds>......

IMO you mind your own business.

Assuming OP is in a room with shared common space/facilities, there's an extra body in the property. Another person queuing to use the cooker, a longer wait for the shower in the morning, another batch of food taking up fridge space, another set of mates vying for predrinks on a Friday evening, someone else wanting to watch other stuff on the TV, more lights in use, more rubbish produced for the bins... all of which OP is paying for but freeloader isn't. Unless the siblings are literally halving their impact elsewhere they're not being fair to their housemates.

That said, I agree with the posters saying that your enjoyment of your home may be compromised by bad blood if others hear you got housemates turfed out. I'd be reporting it but I wouldn't let on to anyone you did so. If your lease is up at the end of the academic year you might be better off sucking it up and waiting them out, but if it's any longer than that I'd be shooting an anonymous tip off to your LA.

These two siblings were here before I came.

Either live with it or move out

• Registered Users Posts: 4,119 ✭✭✭Gravelly

Basically they are siblings. They share a bed together and pay for rent for one person only. This is student accommodation. It is not ran by a student complex but is instead ran by a letting agency that takes students only for these specific houses. I wouldn't mind but living with them is such a nightmare.

:eek:

Gravelly wrote: »

Well, it’s a good indication of how desperate they must be.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,965 ✭✭✭Help!!!!

How are bills divided? Per room or per person?
    If its per person I'd have no problems with the extra person, per room then there would be problems

• Registered Users Posts: 37,300 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Less space in fridge/freezer, more time waiting for the bathroom to be used. If paying bills, the OP and the other person are paying a third each, and the other two are jointly paying a third, instead of everyone paying a quarter.

Also, when cooking in the evening, there'll be less space to do so, and any arguments in the house will be the two against the OP and other housemate, and not the one person versus the OP and other housemate.

Essentially, it's the scenario of a couple and two people; if the couple does anything, and the others don't like it, a vote will lead to a stalemate. I'm guessing that this has happened, and is the reason that the OP is looking to get rid of them.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 14,121 Mod ✭✭✭✭pc7

Is college ending in the next month or two? If so why cause stress and hassle for yourself at this late stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

pc7 wrote: »
    Is college ending in the next month or two? If so why cause stress and hassle for yourself at this late stage.

Exams coming up?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 942 ✭✭✭Ghekko

Are all bills split 4 ways? If not report. If the utility bills are split fairly between ye all while it's not ideal, if the person is nice, helps around the house and doesn't hog the bathroom, then for the sake of the rest of the academic year I'd probably leave it.

Gravelly wrote: »

I am in total agreement with all the posters, no way would I put up with someone not paying rent or bills. However, I would not see any issue with same sex siblings sharing a bed? Ok most people don't so it every night but many do it on holidays, when friends stay over etc etc.

Since the other party in the house is friends with the "couple" I'd be wondering are they doing a 3 way with the rent/bills

Sexual inuendo's not intended

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,070 ✭✭✭Franz Von Peppercorn

It doesn’t really matter about rent payments.

The extra lodger can cause damage and not be legally responsible. Yes in this case bring a sibling (s)he’s traceable but any damage is the responsibility of the people on the contract unless proven otherwise.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,739 ✭✭✭Xterminator

okay ill bite.

OP is staying in a 3 bed house.

He agreed to pay 1 third of bills. Does the heating cost more if there is an extra guy staying over? Cost of running the fridge, TV etc? Putting on the hot water? Most of the bills wont get up in price.

Okay maybe the kettle gets boiled a little more, and perhaps the bins are 1kg fuller? Putting that in a monetary loss you risk making 2 people homeless for less than €3 euro a month. ? really?

you suggest the fridge is fuller or q for bathroom is longer. Fair enough. But the OP did not raise any of these as issues. Again would occasionally having to wait 5 mins to brush your teeth be worth making someone homeless or lose friends & tarnish your name? Not for me it wouldn't.

Finally student accommodation, - its not in perpetuity and school year is very nearly over. If the same situation was going to happen next year, then that would be a good opportunity for OP say hang on a minute. But now?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,760 ✭✭✭C3PO

okay ill bite.

He agreed to pay 1 third of bills. Does the heating cost more if there is an extra guy staying over? Cost of running the fridge, TV etc? Putting on the hot water? Most of the bills wont get up in price.

Okay maybe the kettle gets boiled a little more, and perhaps the bins are 1kg fuller? Putting that in a monetary loss you risk making 2 people homeless for less than €3 euro a month. ? really?

you suggest the fridge is fuller or q for bathroom is longer. Fair enough. But the OP did not raise any of these as issues. Again would occasionally having to wait 5 mins to brush your teeth be worth making someone homeless or lose friends & tarnish your name? Not for me it wouldn't.

Finally student accommodation, - its not in perpetuity and school year is very nearly over. If the same situation was going to happen next year, then that would be a good opportunity for OP say hang on a minute. But now?

On that logic there could be 5 people sleeping on the floor of the bedroom and they should only pay 1/3 of the bills between them?
    However I do agree that if the OP is going to leave after in June then I would just let it go until then .. who needs grief in the run in to exams!

okay ill bite.

If they don't want to be made homeless they should keep the rules. The fact they would be made homeless wouldn't bother me in the slightest if its something that affecting my enjoyment of the house I am living in.

An extra person makes far more of a difference than you are making out, having lived in a 4 houseshare and a 3 person houseshare there is a significant difference in both the cost of bills and the amount of footfall in the kitchen, living room etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37,300 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

If they don't want to be made homeless they should keep the rules. The fact they would be made homeless wouldn't bother me in the slightest if its something that affecting my enjoyment of the house I am living in.
    Agreed. If they were sound, this thread wouldn't exist.

Advertisement