Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Carrigaline road - Speed limit change

Options
  • 11-04-2018 11:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 302 ✭✭

Not sure if it's been posted but be aware that the main Carrigaline road from the top of Carrs Hill (where it gets narrow) is now 80 kmh until the road gets wide again. (Most times actual getting to 80 would be an achievement)

This is in a safety camera zone and the camera van is normally based by the famine memorial cross, surprisingly there are no New Speed Limit signs or other warnings that limits have changed and been reduced.

Just watch your speed if travelling at a quiet time as they will probably have the camera van in place almost permanently now. Would have thought a few "New Speed Limit" signs could have been put on the road to let road users know.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,546 ✭✭✭kub

This was part of a roll out by TII, all they have done is replaced the 100 signs to 80 ones.
    Says a lot when the road between the City, the port, the major employment area in the South and what is now the countries largest commuter town is no fit for purpose.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,419 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

All roads deemed too narrow for 100km/h running have been reduced to 80km/h or will be soon. Parts of the N22 around Macroom and the N20 around Buttevant have also been reduced.

What it mainly shows is exactly how much of our national primary road network is unfit for purpose. The main road between Cork's main industrial area, biggest commuter town and deep sea port should not have to be reduced to 80km/h because it's too narrow.

Perhaps we could replace the N28 with a motorway? Anyone agree?

• Registered Users Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

marno21 wrote: »
    All roads deemed too narrow for 100km/h running have been reduced to 80km/h or will be soon. Parts of the N22 around Macroom and the N20 around Buttevant have also been reduced.

What it mainly shows is exactly how much of our national primary road network is unfit for purpose. The main road between Cork's main industrial area, biggest commuter town and deep sea port should not have to be reduced to 80km/h because it's too narrow.

Perhaps we could replace the N28 with a motorway? Anyone agree?

You'll open up a can of worms with that one. :pac:

But ya, I agree, there should be a motorway from Carrs Hill all the way to Ringaskiddy given the infrastructure down there and the size of Carrigaline which is still expanding.

Squeezing that volume of traffic onto the 2 lane N28 has to be addressed sooner rather than later, it probably needed to be started a decade ago truth be told.

The opposition around Douglas/Maryborough for a motorway would be fierce though.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,553 ✭✭✭AugustusMinimus

GavRedKing wrote: »
    You'll open up a can of worms with that one. :pac:

But ya, I agree, there should be a motorway from Carrs Hill all the way to Ringaskiddy given the infrastructure down there and the size of Carrigaline which is still expanding.

Squeezing that volume of traffic onto the 2 lane N28 has to be addressed sooner rather than later, it probably needed to be started a decade ago truth be told.

The opposition around Douglas/Maryborough for a motorway would be fierce though.

This isn’t true at all. Most people around where I live what to see this scheme go ahead. Opposition is linked to about 20 home owners who are trying to whip locals into a frenzy, based on misinformation.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,712 ✭✭✭roundymac

That section is an accident black spot, up to 6 people at least have been killed there since we moved to Carrigaline in 2005. It is also where the speed van parks so now he might have a chance to catch someone. At peak times cars tend to back up there due to volumne, and somtimes the ghoul making an illegal right turn.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

This isn’t true at all. Most people around where I live what to see this scheme go ahead. Opposition is linked to about 20 home owners who are trying to whip locals into a frenzy, based on misinformation.

Brilliant so. :)

Like any major development though there will be objection when and if it gets the go ahead but it is badly needed.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,177 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

Is that a fact. By Cheeses they make enough of noise. That motorway is badly needed down that direction, if only to make it that teensy little bit easier for us Bishopstown types to nip over to the Bosun with Woman for the ol' lemon sole, Squire. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27 Nahthanks

Some nice common sense changes from the council. 100km/h was far too fast on that stretch during heavy and fast flowing traffic if anything went wrong.

Carrigrohane Straight was also reduced from 100 to 80 in the last few days. Can't say I disagree. Going 100km/h always felt wrong with all the people, narrowness and high traffic levels.

The 80km/h zone extends right up to Ballincollig though so it's a very nice trade off. Doing 80km/h on that stretch feels very odd, up from 50km/h which I never felt inappropriately low.

Also nice changes to the speed limits out by Sliverspring a month or two ago.

One can only dream the M28 will be built sooner rather than later. Would be mighty for commuters and business along with the Dunkettle upgrade that's already started.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,546 ✭✭✭kub

Nahthanks wrote: »
    Some nice common sense changes from the council. 100km/h was far too fast on that stretch during heavy and fast flowing traffic if anything went wrong.

Carrigrohane Straight was also reduced from 100 to 80 in the last few days. Can't say I disagree. Going 100km/h always felt wrong with all the people, narrowness and high traffic levels.

The 80km/h zone extends right up to Ballincollig though so it's a very nice trade off. Doing 80km/h on that stretch feels very odd, up from 50km/h which I never felt inappropriately low.

Also nice changes to the speed limits out by Sliverspring a month or two ago.

One can only dream the M28 will be built sooner rather than later. Would be mighty for commuters and business along with the Dunkettle upgrade that's already started.

It was not the County Councils decision, It was Transport Infrastructure Ireland.
    It was a National roll out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27 Nahthanks

kub wrote: »
    It was not the County Councils decision, It was Transport Infrastructure Ireland.
    It was a National roll out.

Ah interesting. I presumed council had the say on limits. Thanks.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,419 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

It was a joint venture between the local authorities involved, Transport Infrastructure Ireland (in conjunction with RPS and Tobin as consulting engineers) and An Garda Siochana.

Each county/local authority area was done individually and results of the review will be posted over the summer before the nationwide changes are implemented.

National thread in the Roads forum here for anyone interested: https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057646229

• Registered Users Posts: 5,394 ✭✭✭ofcork

I see silversprings has dropped from 100 to 80 now near the flyover used to be 60 iirc.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,278 ✭✭✭mordeith

ofcork wrote: »
    I see silversprings has dropped from 100 to 80 now near the flyover used to be 60 iirc.

Yeah, a more gradual reduction

Advertisement