Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bin Weight Charge Seems Impossible

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 29,550 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

Is it time we all leave packaging behind in the shops?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,083 ✭✭✭Rulmeq

Wanderer78 wrote: »

They set up repak to make sure you can't

Rulmeq wrote: »
    They set up repak to make sure you can't

to be fair, it does seem like this behavior is increasing, we probably should all start doing it, including myself, it might put more pressure on supply chains to reduce waste rather than pushing it all mainly out to the end user

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

You can try but it's illegal littering.

You can try but it's illegal littering.

i believe theres groups already doing this, id like to know what problems theyre running into, our waste issues are not solely the problem of the end user, our materials and products supply chain systems also play a part, and should also play a part in reducing it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Some shops allow it, not sure if it is still the case but currys had a sign up about it when I got something maybe 2 years ago.

I still wonder if there is a way to legally litter shops the way they litter my house. e.g. if I have an old box can I glue on a dunnes flyer which came into my house unsolicited can I dump the lot back into dunnes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 870 ✭✭✭Kuva

We average 80kgs a bin and I would guess that 75% of the bin is nappies btw.

What on earth is going into the bin to bring it above 130kgs?

AHH nappies, never had them.

Them and broken tiles(?) would do it I guess.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 772 ✭✭✭the dark phantom

Or in the fireplace, public bin or side of the road ?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,634 ✭✭✭CalamariFritti

For what its worth; from personal experience the weight of bins can differ greatly from one collection to the next. Some day all you have is a 3/4 full bin with bags of light house rubbish. I can roll the thing out with one hand no problem.
    Next time there may be a few bags of ash in there, a couple of jars of gone off stuff and one or two other bits and the thing is full and its hard to even tilt it onto its wheels.

Unless you 'control' what every person in the house throws in there its difficult to make a statement like 'it's impossible'.
    What is definitely impossible is to prove it either way now that the rubbish is gone. Only solution would be getting suitable scales and weigh the bin yourself before collection.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,599 ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

this is anecdotal but my bin man always looks to be leaning on the bin as it's being weighed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,866 ✭✭✭daheff

We average 80kgs a bin and we've received a few warnings that the max weight of the bin is 40kgs. The bin is always full when put out for collection, as I refuse to put out a bin that's only half full to keep it at 40kg. I would guess that 75% of the bin is nappies btw.

What on earth is going into the bin to bring it above 130kgs?

are you charged by lift or by weight? If its by weight, it shouldnt matter to you whether bin is full or half full.

If you are charged by lift then i fully understand.

this is anecdotal but my bin man always looks to be leaning on the bin as it's being weighed.
    I would think the weight has to be somewhat stable before it registers, like a supermarket till. It would be very difficult to apply perfect static pressure, he would be better off lashing a weight on top and taking off again, if he did have some reason to do this.
    daheff wrote: »
    are you charged by lift or by weight? If its by weight, it shouldnt matter to you whether bin is full or half full.

I am charged both per lift and weight.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭ct5amr2ig1nfhp

This is a bit of a rant, advanced warning!!

A yearly charge, a black bin lift charge and soon weight charge also. So three charges. From 19th April, the green bin will be 80 cent per lift and 4.5 cents/kg. I am with Panda.

The proposed pricing by Panda back in 2016 was crazy - € 86/year annual charge + 3.20/lift + 0.27/kg. That was just the black bin. The brown bin which is currently included for free was to be 2.56/lift + 0.16/kg.

We put out our black bun every two months. My average 80kg bin which currently costs me about € 28/lift, would have cost about 40/lift. ~40% more at a minimum for the black bin.That does include the additional charges for the brown bin of about € 5/lift. Taking the black, brown and recently announced green bin charges together, my waste charges could have (and most likely will be) 65-70% more each year. :mad:

* I prorate the annual charge onto my average lifts for a year.

Our green bin is always full and goes out every 2 weeks. Our brown bin is the same, a little less frequent in winter perhaps.

I wonder if the the CER would allow that sort of increase in energy prices over night? :rolleyes:

Crazy stuff going on in the waste industry.

Edit: Factored in the green bin charges.
    daheff wrote: »

• Registered Users Posts: 2,953 ✭✭✭D3V!L

On a bad week I weigh nearly 110 kilos myself !! There isn't a chance my bin would move with me in it. My black bin has been pushing 50kilos when heavy and I struggled a little with it. I'd be very surprised if the bin could physically cope with the weight of 110 kilos in it. Surely it would burst from the weight.

D3V!L wrote: »
    I'd be very surprised if the bin could physically cope with the weight of 110 kilos in it. Surely it would burst from the weight.

I have seen several people fill the bins to the brim with water to clean them. 240L bin holds 240kg of water.

If the weight is in the bottom it is easy enough to shift, just like those hand trolleys

34cdfc16887061f08f75bb1edaa65769--beverages-trucks.jpg

We had free bins from panda for a while, a friend did too who was renovating his house and had loads of rubble in it, well over 100kg.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,152 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

image.jpg

A lot of this going on in all fairness. They put bin on lift and press down on it with hand until it registers and then it empties. They add 40 kg plus each time they do it, free money.

rubadub wrote: »

We had free bins from panda for a while, a friend did too who was renovating his house and had loads of rubble in it, well over 100kg.

OP had no rubble or water in bin. For it to be 100 kg plus she's have to have a dead body in there. Far too heavy. Guy who weighed it probably pressed down on it while it was on scales to add 40 kg

• Registered Users Posts: 5,528 ✭✭✭ShaShaBear

OP had no rubble or water in bin. For it to be 100 kg plus she's have to have a dead body in there. Far too heavy. Guy who weighed it probably pressed down on it while it was on scales to add 40 kg

Had a good, hard think and honestly the heaviest thing that could have been in it was nappies to be honest. But one of our kids is only wearing one at night and the other one is in creche 4 days a week so most of her nappies are being disposed of there. Definitely no rubble or anything like that as it is rented property and we couldnt do any major works.

My reply was to the guy saying the bin would surely split.

Not sure why a bin man would risk his job for no personal gain. It's not like some independent dodgy trader on a fruit stall putting their finger on a scale. I very much doubt the bin men are getting % of the bin collection money.

The details of how exactly its weighed should be available for all to see. Does truck register every time it gets heavier , or is each individual bin weighed.
    It's not full proof that's for sure. People should put bin on a scales to weigh it themselves to catch them out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 983 ✭✭✭The Royal Scam

Not sure why a bin man would risk his job for no personal gain. It's not like some independent dodgy trader on a fruit stall putting their finger on a scale. I very much doubt the bin men are getting % of the bin collection money.
    I would presume there is probably a camera pointing to the rear of the truck that would catch this kind of stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,495 ✭✭✭✭guil

Bang on the money there, the lads emptying the bins get paid per hour or per day in some places.
    The details of how exactly its weighed should be available for all to see. Does truck register every time it gets heavier , or is each individual bin weighed.
    It's not full proof that's for sure. People should put bin on a scales to weigh it themselves to catch them out.
    Yes each and every bin is weighed regardless or previous weights.

I would presume there is probably a camera pointing to the rear of the truck that would catch this kind of stuff.
    Yes there is.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,634 ✭✭✭CalamariFritti

A lot of this going on in all fairness. They put bin on lift and press down on it with hand until it registers and then it empties. They add 40 kg plus each time they do it, free money.

But I couldn't think of any reason why some employee would do that. It makes absolutely no sense. There is no gain.
    If this was ordered by management there is no way this would be kept a secret and there'd be a sh1tstorm. If he was doing it just because he'd risk his job.

Only reason was if he knew the person he collected the rubbish from and thought he was a d1ck.

So I call bull on that statement, sorry. Sounds like one of those stories about me vs. 'the man'.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,087 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

loyatemu wrote:
    I don't trust the truck scales - they had our recycling bin listed as 50kg one week - there is no way a bin full of cardboard and plastic could weigh that much, it's generally less than 20kg. There's no method for joe public to verify the weights either.

There is a government agency, I'm not sure what it's call now but it used to be weights and measures. They randomly test things like petrol pumps, taxi meters and believe it or not bags of coal. They would also check the scale of the bin trucks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,900 ✭✭✭clint_silver

I went through my lift weights online, I have 2 black bins that go out every second wednesday. Can go back 2 years online of weights.
    Last december I had one of the bins at 85kg that I know some building rubble in it. I had filled it and it was filled to the brim with rubble, there was maybe a couple of normal rubbish bags at the bottom taking up some of the bulk but I could see how if Id replaced those rubbish bags with heavier build rubble then Id be approaching the 100kg point.

If you're adamant you didnt have heavy goods in it, Either
    1. someone else put something in it/or its fluid/rain
    2. the scales are faulty
    3. the binman sat on it when being weighed

Whilst 2 and 3 are possible, they are however, not probable and youd need to get a copy of the video to prove.

That leaves number 1. How do you prove that?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,528 ✭✭✭ShaShaBear

I went through my lift weights online, I have 2 black bins that go out every second wednesday. Can go back 2 years online of weights.
    Last december I had one of the bins at 85kg that I know some building rubble in it. I had filled it and it was filled to the brim with rubble, there was maybe a couple of normal rubbish bags at the bottom taking up some of the bulk but I could see how if Id replaced those rubbish bags with heavier build rubble then Id be approaching the 100kg point.

If you're adamant you didnt have heavy goods in it, Either
    1. someone else put something in it/or its fluid/rain
    2. the scales are faulty
    3. the binman sat on it when being weighed

Whilst 2 and 3 are possible, they are however, not probable and youd need to get a copy of the video to prove.

That leaves number 1. How do you prove that?

Our neighbour has CCTV coming out of his ears, so he's offered to go back and look at that day (since we have the date from the online records) to see if anyone tampered with the bin. It likely won't make a difference to our waste company, but we might at least be able to figure out wtf was put into it and maybe even who!

Advertisement