Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

HELP

Options
  • 12-04-2018 3:44am
    Registered Users Posts: 2

Is it hard to change levels for the Junior Cert cause I wanted to do higher level for my junior cert, but now I want to do ordinary level because my teacher said that she strongly advise me since I didn't do well in my mocks back in February, and I mistakenly tick higher for my JC

IS IT IMPOSSIBLE TO CHANGE

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,222 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

It can still be changed.

BUT......

Make sure that if you choose Ordinary Level and do well in it, that your school will allow you to try Higher in 5th year. People mature at different rates and something that you don't 'get' now might be very clear in October.

Do you think you would have a chance of getting a D in Higher, or are you a long way from passing? If there is a chance of passing, I would say stick with the Higher. If you complete the Higher course for Junior, you will have a lot of the Leaving Ordinary level course already done.

That said, if you really want to change level, your teacher needs to ask the Principal to write to the SEC in Athlone and tell them. They often send a few extra papers on the day, but it is much better if you are already on the OL list.

Will you be changing class, or does the teacher teach both levels in one?

• Registered Users Posts: 2 _answer me

spurious wrote: »
    It can still be changed.

BUT......

Make sure that if you choose Ordinary Level and do well in it, that your school will allow you to try Higher in 5th year. People mature at different rates and something that you don't 'get' now might be very clear in October.

Do you think you would have a chance of getting a D in Higher, or are you a long way from passing? If there is a chance of passing, I would say stick with the Higher. If you complete the Higher course for Junior, you will have a lot of the Leaving Ordinary level course already done.

That said, if you really want to change level, your teacher needs to ask the Principal to write to the SEC in Athlone and tell them. They often send a few extra papers on the day, but it is much better if you are already on the OL list.

Will you be changing class, or does the teacher teach both levels in one?

I don't think my junior cert will have extra papers on the day, because people say you'll get the paper of your level

I was wondering do the teacher's check if you've tick the right level

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,222 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

They can ask and find out what paper you took onthe day and the lists are usually given to teachers to check students have entered the right level.

It is easier for everyone, including the Superintendent, if you are on the right list before the exam. If your teacher thinks you should switch and you agree, the Principal can fax Athlone today and sort it out.

As I said in my other post, just be aware there may be consequences in terms of taking HL for LC if you choose OL at JC.

I hope you don't stay up late all the time. That is not good for you at your age. Don't stress about the exam. Your teachers want what is best for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,511 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

_answer me wrote: »
    I don't think my junior cert will have extra papers on the day, because people say you'll get the paper of your level

I was wondering do the teacher's check if you've tick the right level
    They'll hand you the paper you're registered for.

But they always have a few spare papers (of both levels) to deal with contingencies - e.g. someone spills a bottle of ink. It's generally possible, even at the last minute, to indicate that you want to take the OL paper, and they're likely to have one they can give you. Probably.

But there's no need for brinksmanship. Since the issue has been raised by your teacher, you can make a considered decision now about which paper to sit, and have the school let the Exams Branch know, rather than making a panicked decision on the day.

The advice spurious has given is sound. The JC is a huge stress now, but in years to come it won't matter a damn how you did in the JC. The real issue is what impact the choice you make now will have on the options open to you going into the LC. Are you thinking of taking the HL course in this subject in the LC? Is that an option you want to keep open? Talk to your teacher about whether taking the OL paper would rule this out, or make it very difficult. Subject to that, if your teacher thinks OL is the right choice, and you think so too, and you decide to change, yes, you can. And it's better all round to do so now than on the day of the exam.

Advertisement