Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What did you ACTUALLY have? (late 80s/early 90s)

Options
  • 12-04-2018 3:51am
    Registered Users Posts: 18,707 ✭✭✭✭

Simple.

What did you ACTUALLY game on? 264 votes

NES
    0% 0 votes
    SNES
    12% 33 votes
    Mega Drive
    20% 53 votes
    Micro computers (e.g. ZX Spectrum)
    25% 67 votes
    MS-DOS
    15% 42 votes
    Atari
    12% 32 votes
    other
    14% 37 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,230 ✭✭✭jaxxx

I still have my old SNES. Saw the mini-version of it in Gamestop over the weekend with its 21 odd games for €90.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,506 ✭✭✭Doctor Nick

Had one of those computers only it was Atari (cant remember the model number)not a Commodore 64. Then had a Sega Master System. Then nothing till I got my first Playstation.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,959 ✭✭✭tinofapples

Atari 2600 then onto an Amstrad CPC 464 ;-)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,847 ✭✭✭py2006

Amstrad CPC 464 (green screen version).

• Registered Users Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭SeantheMan

Atari2600 , then onto Megadrive.
    Bought a Megadrive with my communion money through the Buy'n'Sell back in the day. Musta been around 1992 ?
    I remember mine being different to my friends...as mine was bigger (musta been the original) and the ones they got the following year or so had red buttons or something on the front whereas mine had white I think.
    My friends had NES and SNES, so we would often swap consoles and games for a week or so.

The same thing continued on with the swapping consoles throughout the PS1/PS2 - N64/Gamecube generations.

Just google it...

I had the above, they had the below.
    Dunno the versions or difference

?url=http%3A%2F%2Fdiepresse.com%2Fimages%2Fuploads%2F6%2F7%2F0%2F292464%2FthumbDi_07-sega20070321194633.jpg
    sega-megadrive-2-sega-21645022-429-303.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,248 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

Amstrad CPC 464, Green screen version too. I've a vague feeling my mother still has it in the attic.

Super Nintendo

some IBM PC I think around 1994/95

Playstation and pretty much repeated after that

• Registered Users Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭quad_red

Is that poll a little misleading?

As in, I’d a mega drive and an MsDos ‘gaming pc’ :)

Voting for both splits reduces both of them as a percentage (if the percentage is supposed to indicate something)

• Registered Users Posts: 29,842 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

C64, Nes, Master System, SNES, Megadrive, PS1, 2, 3, and now 4. Each one containing such vivid memories. Looking back, bold move out of Sega calling it the Master System. It certainly was not.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,842 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

quad_red wrote: »

Voting for both splits reduces both of them as a percentage (of the per cent age is supposed to indicate something)

Yeah I voted for multiple ones, platforms I actually played on. Was it meant to be 'first gaming platform'?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,881 ✭✭✭Peatys

130xe, then a 520st.

Joust and quix mostly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭gizabeer

Zx48k , Zx128K , 1040st , Master system , Megadrive , SNES , Gameboy , Gamegear , Lynx , PS 1 ,2, 3 , 4 , Xbox , X360 , XBone

• Registered Users Posts: 2,146 ✭✭✭dudeeile

We had a Pong machine but it was Joust on the 2600 that was my first real introduction to competitive multiplayer.

Decathlon was another favorite when the house was full. We used to remove a door from one of the cupboards so you could have that on your lap and suction-cup the joystick down so you could really give it welly.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,449 ✭✭✭Rob2D

I remember as a young kid staying with my grandparents for the summer, I got really bored one day and started rooting around in their old wardrobe. Suddenly, I find a box of something. I pull it out, a complete Atari 2600. Belonged to my uncle who had recently moved out. Like mint everything in box. Took it out and played Yar's Revenge and Pac Man all summer. Amazing.

At that time I was gaming on friends' NES and Master Systems. I only had a Gameboy. Then I remember my Mom agreeing to get me a Megadrive. But I remember we could only afford to pay it off in installments. We used to go in every Friday and pay off a few pound. After what seemed like forever, Sonic was finally mine. I don't think I've ever been so excited as the day I got that Sega.

Ever since that day I've paid for my own machines and I'll be a gamer until my death bed.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,367 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

I had my second gen Mega Drive, which i gave to my cousins when I got my Playstation.

Really regret that now.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,046 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

Pong machine initially, then we had a few Atari 2600s (they really don't like liquid). Had a long loan of a NES, then got a SNES, PS1, PS2, PS3, Xbox 360, gaming pc and now PS4. I'll always remember the moment I got the SNES and PS1, very few memories have stuck with me like that. Gamer4Lyfe or whatever the cool kids these days say.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,278 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Atari 2600, ZX Spectrum followed by a SNES for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

I grew up in Eastern europe and gaming there was a bit of a mess. We never had official Nintendo support there.

So we all started out with "Zilitonas", which was just a hacked famicon in different shells. We would still go to market places to buy pirated versions of games. Majority were not even in English and something more rare was extremely hard to come by. For example I never even knew there was Mario 2 until I moved here.
    After that if you were lucky, you would get Sega Mega Drive 2. Again, unofficial and hacked, but we bought games in same shops. At some point we sow official Sega shop in Capital city, but it did not lasted long. Proper Sega costed as much as 3 months wages. Games were not much different.
    And then PlayStation came out. Hacked of course. Was so expensive, that we would only play in these "gaming places", which were just a basement with few Tvs, PlayStations and chairs. Payed hourly to play it. Only very rich kids could afford to have one themselves. After good few years I finally got my own and played the **** out of it. Again, a lot of asian versions of games. You were lucky to get English one or Russian hacked translated. For example I played Parasite eve 2 in Japanese up until a safe in that desert town place and had to quit. Just, because I had no clue what to do and couldn't read where to go next, obviously. And thats just one game. A lot of them we actually finished without having a clue what is written in a whole game. :pac:

Only sow one Snes in my whole life until I moved here at 19. It was never officially available and never sow one hacked. The only one that I sow was at my class mates house, whos parents were very rich. Dont know what his father did, but he went to Germany on regular bases.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,276 ✭✭✭readyletsgo

I had a C64 for years which I adored, my uncle got it for me from the offices in Dublin airport as they had updated all their computers in there, came with loads of books called 'Input', how to code. Then i got a Sega 'Scorpion' that my mam got me in Dublin, shop on Parnell Street, used to be in there all the time, name of the shop is gone from me just now.
    Found out YEARS later I could play all region games on it, but it was gone by then.

My little friend has an NES and another friend had a SNES, so we'd swap systems and be over in eachothers houses all the time.

N64, Saturn and PS1 bypassed me at the time. I was 15 and lost interest in games until maybe 2005 with the Xbox GameCube and PS2, then the love affair started all over again.

• Registered Users Posts: 413 ✭✭Skittle

I had a C64 for years which I adored, my uncle got it for me from the offices in Dublin airport as they had updated all their computers in there, came with loads of books called 'Input', how to code. Then i got a Sega 'Scorpion' that my mam got me in Dublin, shop on Parnell Street, used to be in there all the time, name of the shop is gone from me just now...

I started with a ZX Spectrum which was bought for £50 from Apollo 1 on Moore street!. Graduated to a VIC 20 then C64. I was an avid collector of those Input magazines, they were brilliant, I had them all and then foolishly threw them all out when cleaning out the attic.

I think the shop on Parnell Street would have been Peats...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,276 ✭✭✭readyletsgo

Skittle wrote: »
    I had a C64 for years which I adored, my uncle got it for me from the offices in Dublin airport as they had updated all their computers in there, came with loads of books called 'Input', how to code. Then i got a Sega 'Scorpion' that my mam got me in Dublin, shop on Parnell Street, used to be in there all the time, name of the shop is gone from me just now...

I started with a ZX Spectrum which was bought for £50 from Apollo 1 on Moore street!. Graduated to a VIC 20 then C64. I was an avid collector of those Input magazines, they were brilliant, I had them all and then foolishly threw them all out when cleaning out the attic.

I think the shop on Parnell Street would have been Peats...

PEATS!! Yes that's the one. Always dragged my poor mam in there to get very cheap games for the c64, like between £2 and £5 for ok games on tapes. Virgin on the Quays had a great selection of C64 games too, but they were expensive there.

Input was great. I did use them over the years trying coding with them to change colours on the screen, very exciting at the time.
    That was one thing, mam didn't want to get a console so she thought a computer would be better for learning, she was kinda right, bless her. I know my way around pc and consoles pretty well since then.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,301 ✭✭✭✭gerrybbadd

I can still remember my first gaming experiences to this day.

I never experienced home console gaming, rather my experience of gaming came from an arcade, in small town West Ireland, that had like 4 machines. One of which was Street Fighter 2.

I'll never forget my cousin telling me he had this game at home, on his Super Nintendo. I hadn't a clue what a SNES was. Getting to play that in his house was pure magic.

Later on, my dad borrowed a Sega Master System from a friend, and he only had Duck Hunt and Sonic. When we finally got our own console, it was a Mega Drive (2nd gen). I never thought gaming could get much better than that. Sonic 3 (& Knuckles) was my favorite, I played it to death. I think the Mega Drive may be buried in my parents attic somewhere

• Registered Users Posts: 33,741 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Played Atari and some MS-DOS games in cousins' houses, but my first gaming machine was a Game Gear, and then the Sega Mega Drive. All my cousins had Mega Drives too, don't even think I seen a NES/SNES until about 1997. Also had some PC games like Granny's Garden, Police Quest, Leisure Suit Larry, Prince of Persia and Duke Nukem 3D (man I was waayyy too young for some of those games).

After the Mega Drive, bought a PS1, then PS2, Xbox 360, PS3 and PS4. Never had any Nintendo machines bar a DS for a short while.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,449 ✭✭✭Rob2D

gerrybbadd wrote: »
    I never experienced home console gaming, rather my experience of gaming came from an arcade, in small town West Ireland

There has been what, like 2 or 3 generations of kids now that have never experienced the arcade? And that's really unfortunate.

I used to often go into the arcade on the Lahinch promenade. McDonald's wasn't it? My parents would be out walking the beach and I'd be inside playing Terminator 2 or something :pac:

Arcade should totally be an option in the poll.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,409 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

just spent 5 minutes staring into space thinking about the arcade game "Phoenix"

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,410 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

First computer was a Commodore 64 I got on XMAS 1990. Followed by a Gameboy in 1992. Then I got a megadrive for Christmas 1993. Got a Pentium 100 PC for XMAS 1996. Then it was a Playstation on XMAS 1998.

I was always late to the party with everything other than the PC which was a pretty decent machine for about a year or two.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,707 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

quad_red wrote: »

Voting for both splits reduces both of them as a percentage (of the per cent age is supposed to indicate something)
    Zero-Cool wrote: »
    Yeah I voted for multiple ones, platforms I actually played on. Was it meant to be 'first gaming platform'?
    No, not "first" - I'm interested in all platforms which you owned/regularly gamed on.
    =========
    My tale:
    We grew up in Munich, only now do I realise we didn't have a lot of money & how my parents worked themselves to the bone for us.

Dad got a cheap MS-DOS machine, and I still remember all the shareware disks he'd get from his workmates, and how much frustration it was to try to get them to run.
    Dad's best friend was a big gamer; he gave me his Mega Drive when the SNES came out. Had a lot of fun with the games I had. Never got many though; I still remember the sad disappointment when my Dad bought me Sonic 2 - except he'd accidentally got the Master System version & we had to bring it back :((couldn't afford the MD one)

• Registered Users Posts: 906 ✭✭✭big syke

NES, Megadrive, PS1,2, Xbox, Ps3, Nintendo Wii, Xbox360, ps4.

Gameboy, GBA, Gamegear, Various DS

Mulling over the switch but I am not gaming really anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 356 ✭✭lorcand1990

Will anything ever beat this intro?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,067 ✭✭✭Gunmonkey

Erm....probably something like:

Atari 2600 -> Amastrad CPC 464+ -> Master System -> Mega Drive II -> Saturn + PS1 + N64 -> Dreamcast + PS2 + Gamecube -> Xbox 360 + PS3 -> WiiU + PS4 + Switch

Also a Gameboy, GBA, DS and 3DS in there somewhere, and a PSP late in its life. Started onto PCs at about 2000.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,881 ✭✭✭Peatys

How did ye all get your hands on ps4's in the 80's and early 90's???????

Advertisement