Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What did you ACTUALLY have? (late 80s/early 90s)

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

I started off on a NES.

Mario and Rush N' Attack are the two standout games I remember from that era.

A few years on I got a 2nd gen Megadrive, buddy a few doors down had a SNES so every now and again we'd swap consoles.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,811 ✭✭✭Relikk

Various Pong machines, Atari 2600, C64, Game Boy, SNES, Mega Drive, N64, Playstation, Game Boy Advance, PS2, Xbox1, PS3, Xbox 360, PS4. They're all the consoles I've owned, and in that order when they were in their current generations. Everything else in between (NES, DC, PCE etc.) has been picked up over the years as retro gets.

SNES and PS1 would be my absolute favourites out of all of them, with SNES being the outright favourite.

With regards to modern consoles, I think the PS4 will be the last console I ever buy from subsequent current generations. I barely touch it. I'd much rather stick to PC gaming for anything new from now on.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Started with a 2600 went to a C64 and then an Amiga but was always a couple of years behind what was current. I'd get them second half when people were upgrading. Think I went from the Amiga to a second-hand 3D0 with a load of game before the PSOne was the first console I bought for myself. Have pretty much owner everything since then.

Had an Amstrad 464 back in the day. Loved the Dizzy games. Moved on to a SNES and have fond memories of stuff like Shadow Run, Zombies Ate My Neighbours and Zelda. Didn't game for years then, skipped PS1 but got a PS2 at launch after seeing Metal Gear and Silent Hill on my pals PS1.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭penev10

Master System
    Gameboy
    Mega Drive
    SNES

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,385 ✭✭✭Nerdlingr

MSX
    Gamegear
    Amiga 600

• Registered Users Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭✭BloodBath

Amstrad CPC 464 with colour monitor later swapped for a commodore 64. ( The Amstrad was better)
    MegaDrive
    Played Nes and Snes loads swapping megadrive for a few weeks with friends or cousins.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,824 ✭✭✭ShooterSF

I had some form of 2600 clone. Grey with 100 odd built in games I think. It was a long time ago. Never seen the same model again. Then onto the NES and Mega Drives and the 464. No longer have any of the systems but I still have my jap copy of Toe Jam and Earl attached to the adaptor because I played that one relentlessly. Finally bet the game a few years back on an emulator with no saves and my GF of the time couldn't understand the severity of the issue and why I needed to focus as the levels went on :D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

Vicxas wrote: »
    I had my second gen Mega Drive, which i gave to my cousins when I got my Playstation.

Really regret that now.

I gave my damn Nintendo (NES) to my cousins when I got my PS1. Had like 30 games with it, Duck Hunt gun and everything.

Oh, how I regret that.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,901 ✭✭✭✭briany

I must have been only about 4, but I knew the 2600 was brutal even then.

The first home console I got to call my own was the SNES. This was for Christmas, and I remember my best friend was equally excited about getting a SNES of his own, but his folks must have either not been able to afford one or just saw Nintendo on the box and assumed, so he got lumbered with a NES instead. So, for years I just thought of the NES as the cheaper, crappier alternative to what I had, and not, as it turned out, a well-remembered staple of many children's (especially American children) 80s childhoods.

I still think that the Super Nintendo + 2 controllers + All Stars + Super Mario World is one of the best bundle deals that's ever existed in gaming, at least certainly that close to its date of launch.

• Advertisement

Atari 7800
    MegaDrive
    Gen1 Gameboy

All still working. Need to get them out of my folks spare room

• Registered Users Posts: 14,046 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

briany wrote: »
    I must have been only about 4, but I knew the 2600 was brutal even then.

Ah now, the 2600 was amazing for the time. Well, in rural Ireland it was anyway. Countless hours lost to repetitive gameplay that was amazing at the time.
    briany wrote: »
    I still think that the Super Nintendo + 2 controllers + All Stars + Super Mario World is one of the best bundle deals that's ever existed in gaming, at least certainly that close to its date of launch.

Yes, all the yes! That's the one I got for Christmas in '93. Second controller didn't get used though, as it was mine and only me could play it! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 29,842 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Feel bad for all the non Nes owners who missed out on this absolute gem :) I hear so many people say how **** turtles on the Nes was but I've great memories of it.

NES_01.gif

Going back earlier on the C64, The Detective Game, Dizzy's, Spy Vs Spy, Toobin, that game where you control a baby through the jungle and the I've got a lovely bunch of coconuts song would play. Looking back, that was a strange game.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,163 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

Colour Amstrad CPC 6128 Plus
    Then an IBM PS/1
    286, 386, 486, Pentium, etc, etc

Other than a Wii, I have never owned a games console.

I used to love this game on the Amstrad:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,932 ✭✭✭YouSavedMyLife

Brother had a Commodore Amiga 64 and all the family used to game on that. Also ad the time Xtravision used to rent out SNES and Megadrive consoles and games, so would often rent them for the weekend and play stuff like Road Rash and Sonic. Last time my bro rented one he never gave it back and we had a new console! Yay!

• Registered Users Posts: 29,106 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Spectrum 128k +2
    NES
    SNES
    Amiga A600
    N64

And something google says was called a Sondic, picked up at a garden fete which had different versions of Pong.

Then later years brought the Gamecube, PS2, Wii, PS3, WiiU, PS4, Switch as well as GBA, DS, 3DS,Vita

• Registered Users Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

This was a sweet MS DOS game. We had it on PC.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,410 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Zero-Cool wrote: »
    Feel bad for all the non Nes owners who missed out on this absolute gem :) I hear so many people say how **** turtles on the Nes was but I've great memories of it.

NES_01.gif

Going back earlier on the C64, The Detective Game, Dizzy's, Spy Vs Spy, Toobin, that game where you control a baby through the jungle and the I've got a lovely bunch of coconuts song would play. Looking back, that was a strange game.

Most of the hate is due to the AVGN video. Can't say any of his criticisms aren't valid but it's hardly a POS either. Decent enough game and James Rolfe says he love sit despite the video.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,842 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Most of the hate is due to the AVGN video. Can't say any of his criticisms aren't valid but it's hardly a POS either. Decent enough game and James Rolfe says he love sit despite the video.

Absolutely love AVGN, I started drinking Rolling Rock because of him :D

• Registered Users Posts: 11,006 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

The hate for that game is not because of a video that came out in the mid 2000's.

It's because many of us got it as children, and even for a NES game, it was hard as balls.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭Venom

Zx48k
    Zx128K
    C64
    Amiga A500
    PC
    SNES
    PS1+2
    N64
    X360

• Registered Users Posts: 7,383 ✭✭✭Dave_The_Sheep

i486. Mainly player things like Wolfenstein, Doom, Chuck Yeager, X-Wing, Wing Commander, Fields of Glory. Stuff like that.

Followed years later by a Pentium 2.

was never a home console type in the 80's and 90's

acorn electron -> ibm pc (dad's business one, not mine) -> atari 520st -> commodore amiga -> pentium pc

also had some handhelds in there also -> gamegear -> gameboy pocket (looked sh1t-cool for its day)

91wvcE9vX3L._SL1500_.jpg

considering thread why are people getting carried away and going on about devices from the 2000's and later?

• Administrators Posts: 53,843 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

NES (with gun for Duck Hunt! :D) -> Sega Megadrive -> PS1 -> PS2 -> Xbox 360 -> Xbox One

PC as well.

Also had the Gameboy Color around the time of the original pokemon games which I put too many hours into as a child.

Had a PSP that I barely played. Don't think it ever really took off.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,901 ✭✭✭✭briany

Ah now, the 2600 was amazing for the time. Well, in rural Ireland it was anyway. Countless hours lost to repetitive gameplay that was amazing at the time.

Don't get me wrong, I played a few Atari 2600 games at the time, but even then it was more out of a very real sense that it was the least bad option. It was either that or having to watch RTE 1 / 2 for an evening's entertainment. I can still remember watching my older brother playing Pele's Soccer and having the thought that, yes, it was supposed to be football but it was a poor, poor, poor imitation. By contrast, Italia '90 on the Megadrive seemed like a 1:1 representation of the game.

The Atari 2600 and those terrible old handheld LCD sports games make up my first couple of years of video game memories, really, but my older brother got an Atari Lynx the next year and I remember that being a gigantic leap in sophistication. Played Batman Returns on that thing quite a bit. How I did, I don't know, because it turns out to have been rated as punishingly difficult. Again, I suppose it must have been a lack of options.

But in one way I'm glad to have experienced the 2600 because going from that to the Mega Drive was like going from black and white to technicolor. And going from that to the PS1 was the same again. Since then it's been diminishing returns, although that's probably just me being more jaded with it all as time goes on.

Advertisement