Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Comfortable Bike For Man

Options
  • 12-04-2018 4:23am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,342 ✭✭✭

Hi. Just looking for a comfortable bike for leisurely cycling. Any suggestions? Have looked online, but wouldn't mind some suggestions from you guys. Budget, no more than €800.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,453 ✭✭✭✭greenspurs

You do realise how open ended questions like that are ?

Leisurely cycling ? - What is that ? Fast ? Slow ? from 20km to 150km ?
    Frequency of use -
    Type of cycling -

Go into your local BikeShop, and ask for help/information there, as you can give them the info that would be required before buying a bike.
    Fitness level, distances you would cycle, type of roads you would cycle,
    There is no one definitive bike that suits everyone due to a budget , as what suits me wouldn't suit you, and vice versa

"Bright lights and Thunder .................... " #NoPopcorn

• Registered Users Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Yep, your best bet is to start in your local bike shop. They'll be able to sit you up on various bikes which suit your needs.

• Registered Users Posts: 942 ✭✭✭outfox

greenspurs wrote: »

When I saw the thread title, I thought the OP was referring to a comfortable bike for humankind.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,342 ✭✭✭Zak Flaps

Leisurely cycling ? - What is that ? Fast ? Slow ? from 20km to 150km ?
    Frequency of use -
    Type of cycling -

Go into your local BikeShop, and ask for help/information there, as you can give them the info that would be required before buying a bike.
    Fitness level, distances you would cycle, type of roads you would cycle,
    There is no one definitive bike that suits everyone due to a budget , as what suits me wouldn't suit you, and vice versa

It's not as open as you're making it out to be my angry friend.
    Leisurely ? I think it's self explanatory. Hardly fast!
    Frequency of use? That has nothing to do with it.
    Type of cycling? Along the road of maybe a gravely path.
    I suppose some sort of mountain bike or hybrid.
    The wider wheels for arse comfort!

Of course the bike shop option is next, but I haven't had time. Thought I'd ask here to see if anyone could make a suggestion or 2 that I could look into.

I'm sorry if I ruined your day. To be honest I feel deeply ashamed of myself for asking such an abhorrent question.
    All I can hope for is that you can some day forgive me.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,248 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

Zak Flaps wrote: »

Of course the bike shop option is next, but I haven't had time. Thought I'd ask here to see if anyone could make a suggestion or 2 that I could look into.

I'm sorry if I ruined your day. To be honest I feel deeply ashamed of myself for asking such an abhorrent question.

. but a road bike. Alu frame with a carbon fork. What’s your budget? Are you able to use the bike to work scheme?

• Advertisement

07Lapierre wrote: »
    . but a road bike. Alu frame with a carbon fork. What’s your budget? Are you able to use the bike to work scheme?

Not sure what ".but a road bike" means!

Budget approx €800.
    Possibly can use BTW scheme. But unsure.
    Can it be used twice from same employers?
    Did it before, then bike got stolen by a scumbag c*nt.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,730 ✭✭✭Type 17

You can use the bike to work scheme every five years, regardless of employer.

If your trips will be under about two hours, and will include urban/heavy traffic situations, get a hybrid (hands always near the brakes, no need to change positions for comfort)

If you'll be out for more than around two hours, consider a road bike (drop bars), as you'll have the option to reposition your hands to stay comfortable on longer runs.

If your trips might include off-road work, consider an MTB or, for longer off-road trips, a cyclo-cross bike.

Your LBS can show you options for each of these choices...

• Registered Users Posts: 24,995 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Zak Flaps - you're being a bit harsh on greenspurs for giving the response that most of us were thinking.

If I asked you to recommend a comfortable car, I'm sure you would ask a few more questions before providing suggestions.
    ...Frequency of use? That has nothing to do with it.
    It has everything to do with it. Spending 1 hour a week on a bike or 8 hours a day on a bike. Both can be 'leisurely' but there's a hell of a difference.

Type of cycling?
    Pottering around a flat city or heading over the Stelvio Pass? Both are leisurely for some people but there's a huge difference.
    Many would not consider a mountain bike or hybrid bike to be 'comfortable' unless you consider wasting energy to be 'leisurely'.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,283 ✭✭✭youtheman

Think you need to adjust your sensitivity levels there mate.  If you come on here and ask "How long is a piece of blue string" then don't be surprised if someone suggest that maybe you should have thought that the answer contains sentiments like "it depends".

As others have pointed out, you seem to be the angry one!

But, you are welcome.
    And its not the question you should be ashamed about, its your reply to mine !

• Advertisement

Zak Flaps - you're being a bit harsh on greenspurs for giving the response that most of us were thinking.

If I asked you to recommend a comfortable car, I'm sure you would ask a few more questions before providing suggestions.

It has everything to do with it. Spending 1 hour a week on a bike or 8 hours a day on a bike. Both can be 'leisurely' but there's a hell of a difference.

Pottering around a flat city or heading over the Stelvio Pass? Both are leisurely for some people but there's a huge difference.

Many would not consider a mountain bike or hybrid bike to be 'comfortable' unless you consider wasting energy to be 'leisurely'.

Thanks for answering , saved me having to do it !! :)

Not sure what ".but a road bike" means!

Budget approx €800.
    Possibly can use BTW scheme. But unsure.
    Can it be used twice from same employers?
    Did it before, then bike got stolen by a scumbag c*nt.

It was a typo error...I meant to type “Buy a road bike”

As others have pointed out, you seem to be the angry one!

But, you are welcome.
    And its not the question you should be ashamed about, its your reply to mine !

I don't know much about bikes and came on here for some advice. I did't know the question was as open ended as I now know it is. So apologies for that.

But opening with "You do realise how open ended questions like that are ?" comes across as arrogant and superior....that i should in fact know how open the question is! (i don't know much about cycling)
    Anyway, slight change of plan which i'll put in another message. Maybe the wrong option but advice still welcome from you.

Leisurely cycling means mainly flat ground, maybe 2 hours max, but mostly less than that. Shorts trips to the shop, outside to get a bit of fresh air etc...an hour out making the most of our long sunny summer evenings!!!!
    A good comfortable saddle.
    I have sciatica at the moment, so handlebars that could be raised so i'm not bending my back too much.
    I had a Giant (the brand) hybrid bike before and i found it sore on the arse on the roads. So something with good suspension i suppose.

But here's the thing, i like the sound of a Brompton! Are they comfortable enough for short journeys, anything else in my descriptions?
    I like the fact that i can fold it up and throw it into the car.

Saddles are like shoes... very personal. What one person finds comfortable, another will find painful. In fact I’d go as far as saying that there is no such thing as an uncomfortable saddle. If a saddle is too high or too low, too far forward, too far back, tilted too far up, tilted too far down, too small or too large, it will be uncomfortable. Whatever saddle you choose, make sure it’s level and start from there.

What kind of bike? Sounds to me like you just want something to potter around on, so maybe a hybrid or even an old “high Nellie” style bike is what you want.

Saddles are like shoes... very personal. What one person finds comfortable, another will find painful. In fact I’d go as far as saying that there is no such thing as an uncomfortable saddle. If a saddle is too high or too low, too far forward, too far back, tilted too far up, tilted too far down, too small or too large, it will be uncomfortable. Whatever saddle you choose, make sure it’s level and start from there.

What kind of bike? Sounds to me like you just want something to potter around on, so maybe a hybrid or even an old “high Nellie” style bike is what you want.

I think "something to potter around in" is the best description so far!!
    I read somewhere that there are a few Brooks saddles that are regarded as very comfortable but i suppose that's personal....

I think "something to potter around in" is the best description so far!!
    I read somewhere that there are a few Brooks saddles that are regarded as very comfortable but i suppose that's personal....

Yes... brooks saddles have a reputation for good quality and that also have to “bed in”. That is, they are very hard when new, but they do soften up the more you use them. So you make find it uncomfortable for a while, but over time it will get better.

Advertisement