Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

My wifi router died - Need new one

Options
  • 12-04-2018 10:25am
    Registered Users Posts: 7,865 ✭✭✭

So my trusty Linksys WRT54GS finally died.

We've been through a lot. She's been absolutely bulletproof for years on end! I suppose its my own fault for pushing her, with custom firmware and boosting the power output for range etc...

So anyway, I'm over her and looking for a newer, younger model.

Can anyone recommend a "high class" router. I'd say I'd spend €150 on it no bother. I'd go €200 if it was absolutely worth it, but I don't need anything except stability and at least the same range as the old WRT54GS.

Having had a quick look on Amazon, there's one ranging up to the 100's of pounds, with file servers and gaming stuff (like those NightHawks). I don't need that. I just need it to be rock solid, and actually it'd be preferable if it could run OpenWRT or some other custom firmware on it.

I have Virgin Media/UPC internet and have their wifi router with no external antenna, so I had the Linksys connected to that via ethernet cable, and I plan to do the same with this new one. This was downstairs. It's a corner house with an attic, so not much other wifi interference, but it needs to go through 2 floors to the attic.

Cheers.

Comments

Advertisement