Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish girls names

Options
  • 12-04-2018 11:27am
    Registered Users Posts: 28

Hi I am currently pregnant on #3. We are keeping the gender a surprise. I have my boys name decided but I am so stuck on girls names. It has to be Irish and I want it different and unusual. The only ones I can think of so far is Lile and I also like Rua but I'm not sure if it's for a boy or girl. All help greatly appreciated. Thanks 😊

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭Clashmore

Rua would be more of a boys name.
    Saoirse
    Sadhbh
    Éadaoin
    Orlaith
    Cliodhna
    Gráinne
    Eabha
    Roisín
    All lovely Irish girls names

• Registered Users Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭wench

The CSO have a tool that will tell you how popular any name is, if you want to try and make sure half the class won't have the same name!

http://www.cso.ie/en/interactivezone/visualisationtools/babynamesofireland/

• Registered Users Posts: 28 Ckpippa

Thanks a lot but I've heard of all those before. I want something very different.

Clashmore wrote: »
    Rua would be more of a boys name.
    Saoirse
    Sadhbh
    Éadaoin
    Orlaith
    Cliodhna
    Gráinne
    Eabha
    Roisín
    All lovely Irish girls names

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,764 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

I really like the names Muireann, Aifric, Ailbhe,

Personally wouldn't be a fan of Lile, it doesnt look or sound so Irish to me, unless there is supposed to be a fada there on the i?

Edit: Líadan is another one

• Closed Accounts Posts: 77 ✭✭Anne1982h

wench wrote: »
    The CSO have a tool that will tell you how popular any name is, if you want to try and make sure half the class won't have the same name!

http://www.cso.ie/en/interactivezone/visualisationtools/babynamesofireland/

Definitely look at the CSO baby names app! I have had about four people so far tell me they called their girl ‘Fiadh’ as it’s so unusual. I hadn’t the heart to tell them it was currently Ireland’s 20th most popular girls name - 400 girls called it in 2017.

If you want an unusual name consider unusual for the child’s generation by looking at the app (case in point the name Brian - we would all say oh sure I know tons of Brian’s but I’d you look on the app it shows only 8 boys were called Brian. Same with girls - only 9 called Christina. so if you have a Brian or a Christina they will have a very unusual name in secondary school surrounded by Noah’s and Fiadh’s! You might find some Irish names you know and like are now very rare for New babies.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,908 Mod ✭✭✭✭shesty

Ones I've come across....Ainnir, Criona (Crina?) And Saorfhlaith (the variety of spelling on that one varies wildly), Realtin (I'm not 100% convinced that's meant to be a name mind you).
    Cliodhna I haven't heard often at all, it's nice.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,764 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

Anne1982h wrote: »
    Definitely look at the CSO baby names app! I have had about four people so far tell me they called their girl ‘Fiadh’ as it’s so unusual. I hadn’t the heart to tell them it was currently Ireland’s 20th most popular girls name - 400 girls called it in 2017.

If you want an unusual name consider unusual for the child’s generation by looking at the app (case in point the name Brian - we would all say oh sure I know tons of Brian’s but I’d you look on the app it shows only 8 boys were called Brian. Same with girls - only 9 called Christina. so if you have a Brian or a Christina they will have a very unusual name in secondary school surrounded by Noah’s and Fiadh’s! You might find some Irish names you know and like are now very rare for New babies.

I didn't realise Fiadh was a name, I just associate it with a fulacht fiadh or deer

• Registered Users Posts: 797 ✭✭✭Tiercel Dave

Iseult or Isolde, an Irish princess.....

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Iseult

Yes it is spelt Líle and it's the Irish version of Lily. My sons are Kealan & Dallan so want something to sound nice with those also...all our family have so many Irish names it's hard to find ones that havn't been used.we already have muireann and ailbhe.
    I really like the names Muireann, Aifric, Ailbhe,

Personally wouldn't be a fan of Lile, it doesnt look or sound so Irish to me, unless there is supposed to be a fada there on the i?

Edit: Líadan is another one

I know of 3 Fíadhs born in the last few years.
    I didn't realise Fiadh was a name, I just associate it with a fulacht fiadh or deer

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,276 ✭✭✭emo72

As someone who was born with an unusual name, you are cursing your child to be spelling their name forever. It's not a problem for me, just something to consider!

Fiadh itself actually means wild but I also didn’t have the heart to point this out to the parent happily telling me it meant little deer 😂

• Registered Users Posts: 1,005 ✭✭✭reap-a-rat

What about Etain? I've only ever met one.

I have a very unusual Irish name and my husband. As much as I corrected people when I was younger now I am so proud to have a strong Irish name. It will most definitely not be a curse to them. They will be a unique individual.
    I'd love to hear some more of people's suggestions, thanks
    emo72 wrote: »
    As someone who was born with an unusual name, you are cursing your child to be spelling their name forever. It's not a problem for me, just something to consider!

Checked out the CSO app. What about Eilidh - apparently pronounced Ayley (like Hayley without the h) and means bright one. Apparently Irish version of Helen. Only 3 girls named it in 2017.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

I love Dearbhail and Siún

• Registered Users Posts: 2,066 ✭✭✭tuisginideach

fiadh is used as an adjective meaning 'wild' but has been used to indicate wild animals, inc deer, from very early - as evidenced as far back as 12th century manuscripts.
    see Dictionary of the Irish Language http://www.dil.ie/21886

Oisín means a little deer

• Registered Users Posts: 22 Gratzi22

My sister's name is Cushla. She loves it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,029 ✭✭✭SusieBlue

I really like Síofra and Aoibhinn. Would avoid Niamh, Aisling, Ciara etc. Beautiful but very very common.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,177 ✭✭✭✭Purple Mountain

Meabh (dh).
    Fada on e.

To thine own self be true

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,193 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Luna

• Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭maxsmum

My husband is Irish but exempt from learning in school due to spending early years in UK. When we went through Irish names he couldnt pronounce half of the ones with all the unnecessary consonants so just be careful of e.g. Cliodhna instead of Cliona... Orfhlaith instead of Orla... give the child an easy time. It's not like many of us speak Irish regularly and care about the 'correct' spelling.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 14,121 Mod ✭✭✭✭pc7

Seoidin, Siun, Realtin (missing fadas can’t do them on phone!)

• Registered Users Posts: 28,193 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

pc7 wrote: »

Long Hold the letter you want to fádá on the phone

• Registered Users Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭nikkibikki

Long Hold the letter you want to fádá on the phone

It doesn't come out right on some phones.

Fádá

My girls name is Caoimhe but I don't think I'll be having another.

Oh I really love Siún... is that pronounced shoon?
    Moonbeam wrote: »
    I love Dearbhail and Siún

Luna is definitely a favourite of mine but could it be written in Irish?I know for a boy Luca can with a fada over the u.
    Luna

How is seoidin pronounced? Thanks
    pc7 wrote: »

• Registered Users Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭catrionanic

Some less common names I’ve heard are Croía, Saorlaith (although I do know two babies born recently with that name), Tiarna, Dearbhla, Seanín, Síomha.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭catrionanic

Ckpippa wrote: »
    Oh I really love Siún... is that pronounced shoon?

It’s more like shoo-in

Advertisement