Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish girls names

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,420 ✭✭✭splinter65

emo72 wrote: »
    As someone who was born with an unusual name, you are cursing your child to be spelling their name forever. It's not a problem for me, just something to consider!

This. You introduce yourself, spell it and then when your back is turned everyone rolls their eyes. My own name is 4 syllables long.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,185 ✭✭✭Kalimah

Anne1982h wrote:
    Checked out the CSO app. What about Eilidh - apparently pronounced Ayley (like Hayley without the h) and means bright one. Apparently Irish version of Helen. Only 3 girls named it in 2017.

I was going to suggest that! There's a Scottish runner I was watching earlier called Eilidh. Etain is nice too. I don't like Luna at all. I knew someone called Ciunas years ago. I'd never call a child that!

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 14,121 Mod ✭✭✭✭pc7

Showdeen is how the girl I know pronounced it and Siun was like Shoo-in (kind of rhymes with tune)

• Registered Users Posts: 42 naturalgems18

Really like Aobh (pronounced Eve) - not v. popular at all on the CSO website.

Shona is another nice one that's not too popular

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,881 ✭✭✭Peatys

Really like Aobh (pronounced Eve) - not v. popular at all on the CSO website.

Shona is another nice one that's not too popular

You like Eve so?
    Same name, but less hassle

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,514 ✭✭✭bee06

Ckpippa wrote: »
    Luna is definitely a favourite of mine but could it be written in Irish?I know for a boy Luca can with a fada over the u.

Isn’t Luna Latin for moon. I wouldn’t say picking any old name and putting a fada on a vowel makes it Irish.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,029 ✭✭✭SusieBlue

How is seoidin pronounced? Thanks

Show-deen would be the easiest explanation. The loose translation would be ‘little jewel’. It’s lovely :)

• Registered Users Posts: 28 Ckpippa

Oh no I wouldn't do that I was just wondering was there any alternative? I wonder what moon is in Irish.
    bee06 wrote: »
    Isn’t Luna Latin for moon. I wouldn’t say picking any old name and putting a fada on a vowel makes it Irish.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,177 ✭✭✭✭Purple Mountain

I know a lady called Labhaoise => La vee sha.
    Irish for Louise seemingly.

To thine own self be true

• Registered Users Posts: 42 naturalgems18

Peatys wrote: »
    You like Eve so?
    Same name, but less hassle

True, but OP is looking for Irish names...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,514 ✭✭✭bee06

Oh no I wouldn't do that I was just wondering was there any alternative? I wonder what moon is in Irish.

I think it’s gealach.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,029 ✭✭✭SusieBlue

The Irish for moon is ‘gealach’, pronounced Gyallack - wouldn’t be mad on it as a name!

I like Blaithín as well, it’s proboubced Blaw-Heen and means little flower.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,688 ✭✭✭corks finest

Hi I am currently pregnant on #3. We are keeping the gender a surprise. I have my boys name decided but I am so stuck on girls names. It has to be Irish and I want it different and unusual. The only ones I can think of so far is Lile and I also like Rua but I'm not sure if it's for a boy or girl. All help greatly appreciated. Thanks 😊
    My granddaughter's, Ciarrai,Caitlin,

• Registered Users Posts: 28 Ckpippa

Ok that's a non runner so
    bee06 wrote: »
    I think it’s gealach.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,337 ✭✭✭Loveinapril

I love Siún. I know a Sían (pronounced sheen) and a Luisne (pronounced lishna). Luisne means glow.

I also know a boy called Croí but I think it could be a girl's name too.

• Registered Users Posts: 375 ✭✭pajosjunkbox

Daire / Dara

• Registered Users Posts: 17 applesrock

Eanna is lovely & unisex, that said not as common for girls. I think it means little bird and is very low down on the cso list for popularity

• Registered Users Posts: 270 ✭✭Hani Kosti

I didn't realise Fiadh was a name, I just associate it with a fulacht fiadh or deer

Tell that to my child haha. AFAIK Fia is deer where Fiadh means wild.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,648 ✭✭✭honeybear

Daire / Dara
    Used to love that name but it’s now very common

• Registered Users Posts: 2,337 ✭✭✭Loveinapril

applesrock wrote: »
    Eanna is lovely & unisex, that said not as common for girls. I think it means little bird and is very low down on the cso list for popularity

I know a little girl called Einín and it means little bird. When I first heard it I wasn't sure but it is lovely.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,648 ✭✭✭honeybear

applesrock wrote: »

I know a little girl called Einín and that means little bird.
    Love that for s girl

• Registered Users Posts: 16,135 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

I love Siún. I know a Sían (pronounced sheen) and a Luisne (pronounced lishna). Luisne means glow.

I also know a boy called Croí but I think it could be a girl's name too.

Croía is a girls name

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭CircleofLife

Sorcha, Ceola, Liadán, or Caireann?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 348 ✭✭ifElseThen

They will be a unique individual.

Regaardless of whether their name is unusual or commonplace...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 348 ✭✭ifElseThen

honeybear wrote: »
    Used to love that name but it’s now very common

What is the problem.with having a more popular name? Do parents really think having an unusual name will bestow a life less ordinary on their child or what's the craic with the insistence on finding a name that is uber rare?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,420 ✭✭✭splinter65

ifElseThen wrote: »
    Regaardless of whether their name is unusual or commonplace...

Every baby is unique and totally individual.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,961 ✭✭✭LionelNashe

Realtin - "Little star". I've only ever met 1 woman with this name. Or, you could get an Irish-English dictionary and just look for a noun that you like the sound & meaning of.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 Ellie11

I think Daire is a boys name. I have known a girl called Dara . It became more common in recent years but I still love the sound of it. Dairíne or Daráine are girls versions that have a pleasant ring to them

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭ideb

SusieBlue wrote: »
    I like Blaithín as well, it’s proboubced Blaw-Heen and means little flower.

Blaithnaid is a variation on Blaithín and was less common in 2017 (23 babies named Blaithín in 2017 versus less than 3 babies for Blaithnaid)

How about Fionnuala? Used to be popular years ago, but less than 3 babies in 2017.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,602 ✭✭✭DJIMI TRARORE

How about Ceola,Laoise or Siobhan

Advertisement