Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish girls names

Options
123457»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,135 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

nikkibikki wrote: »
    And I know a girl with the fadas and pronunciation as above! :)

Names and spellings change over time. Fadas get dropped which is a bug bear of mine. All my kids have fadas in their names and without the fadas, their names are not spelt correctly. We've probably subjected them to a lifetime of mis-spelled names.

So many people calling their daughters Aoibhinn now and pronouncing it Ay-veen, it has become the norm. E with a fada makes an "ay" sound. "Aoi" makes a kind of an "ee" sound.

Ah yes , I wasn't correcting you ! Sorry ! Yes names evolve and change and I am a bit like you I hate to see them mispronounced !
    Two of my big bug bears is Sorcha now becoming Sore Cha !
    And Dónal Skeehan not pronouncing his own name correctly and it drives me mad !

Advertisement