Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Power Issues with Desktop

Options
  • 12-04-2018 11:41am
    Registered Users Posts: 907 ✭✭✭

My self built desktop began powering off and back
    on all of a sudden last week. It would stay on for maybe 20 mins to 1 hour then power off.

The 650w PSU I was using was 5-6 years old, thought it must be that.
    Replaced it with a EVGA 600w, same issue still happening.

I guess I'm looking at the motherboard next? Kinda slow in just replacing it in case that's not the issue either.

I guess I should cardboard it on my desk and test with various amounts of RAM, a different GFX card etc? I'm a bit rusty when it comes to troubleshooting power issues, things were going well for so long :)

Specs

Mobo - ga-p67x-ud3-b3
    i7
    8GB DDR3 (4 x2GB)
    1TB HD
    GTX 770

Any practical advice would be great. I hope this is the right section

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 882 ✭✭✭moneymad

Youre on the right track. Boot to bios only with the 1 stick of ram.
    Check for bulging capacitors.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,249 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

Are the CPU temps okay? Are the fans spinning correctly?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,122 ✭✭✭killanena

In my own experience if a system shutdown randomly but soon after booting its usual an issue with RAM or temps like mentioned above.

• Registered Users Posts: 907 ✭✭✭Den_M

An update on this...

No bulging capacitors as far as I could see.
    Temps were low and stable last time I checked and whenever I had checked before that.

Disconnected and removed everything from the case and cardboarded it this morning...

When I flicked the switch on the PSU to 'on' the gfx card LEDs are green, the mouse LEDs light up.

When I hit the case power switch I heard a quick "phut" sound like a light pop or a crack from roughly the center of the motherboard. Needless to say it didn't power on and hasn't since.

The phase LEDs at the top right of the motherboard flash quickly when the machine is attempted to be powered on, as far as I can tell the colour from top to bottom are Red, Yellow, Yellow, Yellow

I've tried with different RAM in each slot, with the HD connected and disconnected - same result

I'm gonna point the finger at the motherboard at this stage? I installed a cooler master CPU fan before Xmas - a large and heavy one with a mounting bracket behind the motherboard. I often wonder if the weight and stress of such a component could exasperate existing structural or power related minor issues with the motherboard.

Note - I also tried with my old stock intel cooler whilst cardboarding

Thanks for the advice so far, lads

• Registered Users Posts: 18,706 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Worst-case scenario, the PSU died & took the motherboard with it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,122 ✭✭✭killanena

That sucks bro, sounds like a dead motherboard alright. Do you still have a warranty for it? I'd also replace the PSU just to be safe. Lucky they are inexpensive components at least.

Does anyone know where I could get a LGA 1151 and DDR3 compatible motherboard before Tuesday 24th of April? It needs 4 memory slots. Have been scouring Adverts, Donedeal, Ebay, Amazon etc. The only 2nd hand ones I've seen take too long to ship from China and haven't seen any new ones.

The DDR3 and 4 slot combo rules out virtually all of the results. Any help would be appreciated!

The company I work for are offering to pay for a basic DDR4 motherboard and RAM rather than hold out for a 2nd hand part.

Could someone advise if the following are compatible and will work with my i7 2600?

Motherboard

RAM

I'm usually confident about these things but to be honest my heads gone after spending so much time scouring different websites looking at components :o

Edit - Oh my gawd, that motherboard ain't compatible despite being 1151, the chipset only supports recent generations of i3/5/7

Can anyone link a motherboard compatible with a i7 2600? I don't want to have to buy a new board, RAM and CPU :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Be easy find a 1155 board on Adverts as well I would imagine.

You won't find any new at any sort of reasonable price really outside of China, because that socket type is from 2011.

Depending on where you are located you'd possibly even find an entire S1155 based machine for about €100 on adverts and just drop your i7-2600/extra ram into it.

• Advertisement
Advertisement