Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Harp Lager cans anywhere?

Options
  • 12-04-2018 11:50am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,599 ✭✭✭

Are cans of Harp to be found anywhere in the city anymore. Not in Dunnes or Tesco.

Has it been replaced with this Rockshore sh1te?

Comments

99% certain I saw them in carry out on Bandon Road last week

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭Richmond Ultra

The offie on Douglas Street has them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,239 ✭✭✭physioman

RINO87 wrote: »
    Are cans of Harp to be found anywhere in the city anymore. Not in Dunnes or Tesco.

God that brings me back. It was so bad we use to call it 'harp burn.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,286 ✭✭✭-=al=-

I think there was some back in1995

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,681 ✭✭✭Try_harder

Sally O Brien, and the way she might look at you

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,037 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

What is it that you don't like about Rockshore?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,599 ✭✭✭RINO87

Got them in an independent after... None of the supermarkets had it! I'm off to a music festival later today and a slab of harp is a tradition at this stage!

Rockshore? It's the marketing crap. "Its influenced by the west of Ireland" Me hole, its Harp re-branded and brewed in Dublin.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27 Nahthanks

The offie at the corner of Lough and Bandon Road by Lennoxs does 7 for €8 last time I was there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭AwaitYourReply

I thought Harp Lager had ceased production altogether as I had not noticed it on sale in pubs or being promoted for quite a while so; I'm surprised to discover it still exists in the off-licence trade.

I assumed that "Hop House 13 Lager was Guinness/Diageo's replacement of Harp lager to be honest. Harp and Tennents were not so popular as lagers in Cork in my experience - I always got the impression that in terms of lagers Heineken, Carlsberg, Budweiser, Coors Light, Miller, Fosters, Amstel, Stella Artois, Carling would probably have been consumed more down here on Leeside and that is probably mainly in draught form as you have other popular bottled lager products too such as Becks and Corona Extra and so on.

Not sure how Diageo's "Hop House 13 Lager" is selling in Cork versus the other options referenced although; things have fragmented with the explosion in various micro breweries with all of their unique craft beers on the market nowadays too.

Are you looking for stomach ulcers? :confused:

• Advertisement

I thought Harp Lager had ceased production altogether as I had not noticed it on sale in pubs or being promoted for quite a while so; I'm surprised to discover it still exists in the off-licence trade.

I assumed that "Hop House 13 Lager was Guinness/Diageo's replacement of Harp lager to be honest. Harp and Tennents were not so popular as lagers in Cork in my experience - I always got the impression that in terms of lagers Heineken, Carlsberg, Budweiser, Coors Light, Miller, Fosters, Amstel, Stella Artois, Carling would probably have been consumed more down here on Leeside and that is probably mainly in draught form as you have other popular bottled lager products too such as Becks and Corona Extra and so on.

Not sure how Diageo's "Hop House 13 Lager" is selling in Cork versus the other options referenced although; things have fragmented with the explosion in various micro breweries with all of their unique craft beers on the market nowadays too.

Up to a certain year (probably around 1985), Harp was the best selling lager in Ireland.
    Heineken then took over that role. It remained popular in Dublin for quite a while but is now really only popular in Ulster.

I believe it's still quite popular in USA and Americans are often surprised by how rare it is in the Republic of Ireland.

Are you looking for stomach ulcers? :confused:

Why do you ask that?
    Do you really consider Harp as much different from any other mainstream lager?
    When did you last drink it?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,394 ✭✭✭ofcork

Harp was very popular up to the 80s and smithwicks too.

Why do you ask that?
    Do you really consider Harp as much different from any other mainstream lager?
    When did you last drink it?

I've heard of pubs banning it down these parts because people were becoming Ill from it.

I've had a can or two in the past and it was enough. Compared to Amstel though it's holy water

I've heard of pubs banning it down these parts because people were becoming Ill from it.
    r

That's nonsense. It just gradually went out of fashion as Heineken and other brands came into the market.
    I tasted it again a few years ago. It's just another lager.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,575 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

At one time harp was my pint of choice, went to college in Dundalk and there were always good specials for students.

But it was rough enough stuff, serious after taste.

Still widely available in the north and I occasionally have a pint of it when I’m up.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,691 ✭✭✭corks finest

Hope not,for after 20 yes in Derry,stuff nearly shagging killed me,got back to the beamish,and off it now a few years,but the thoughts of harp,,,,,even now bring back the pain

That's nonsense. It just gradually went out of fashion as Heineken and other brands came into the market.

People who I have conversed about lagers and beers with with says it was horrendous. Each to their own and all but I would doubt several people could be too far off the mark. It went out of fashion because it was cack

• Registered Users Posts: 8,691 ✭✭✭corks finest

r

awful, awful

Nothing wrong with harp, it's much nicer than the likes of hineken and carlsberg but not as nice as Bavaria which is by far and away the nicest larger.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

Dunnes do sell Harp. Only in six packs though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,438 ✭✭✭j8wk2feszrnpao

People who I have conversed about lagers and beers with with says it was horrendous. Each to their own and all but I would doubt several people could be too far off the mark. It went out of fashion because it was cack
    Exactly. Each to their own, but it didn’t stop selling cause it was doing well. It’s gone cause people stopped buying it as it wasn’t as good/nice than the alternatives. Nonsense to suggest otherwise.

Exactly. Each to their own, but it didn’t stop selling cause it was doing well. It’s gone cause people stopped buying it as it wasn’t as good/nice than the alternatives. Nonsense to suggest otherwise.

So you are saying that the best selling products are always the best quality products? Really?

Think about that for a while.

It became less popular and stopped selling because people were fed up of drinking poison. The army barracks in Clonmel got rid of it completely because four regular drinkers of it developed stomach ulcers

• Registered Users Posts: 3,985 ✭✭✭mikeym

Hop House 13 is mank.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,869 ✭✭✭NewbridgeIR

Pint bottles of Harp are lovely drunk by the neck. Last had one in New Ross about four or five years ago.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,438 ✭✭✭j8wk2feszrnpao

So you are saying that the best selling products are always the best quality products? Really?

Think about that for a while.
    Didn't say that, but hey, don't stop making up stuff at this point.

Advertisement