Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Harp Lager cans anywhere?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,987 ✭✭✭tabby aspreme

Never drank the stuff, but from what I can remember pint bottles of Harp were usually accompanied by a 20 pack of Major. The last memory have of anyone drinking Harp was a pal of mine collapsing from a stomach ulcer outside his future mother in law's house after a skinfull of the stuff, we took one of the entrance gates and used it as a stretcher to carry him into her house, she wasn't impressed

• Registered Users Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

Tommy Tiernan had a great bit a few years back about how you'd go for a few pints of harp and next thing you know you'd be stood over your cousin with a shovel in your hands screaming 'TAKE THAT BACK'

And he's spot on

• Registered Users Posts: 1,245 ✭✭✭Mumha

You might be able to buy a few from the travelling fans, when Dundalk and Drogheda come down to play Cork City....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,122 ✭✭✭killanena

Both my local fine wines and carry out stock them.

• Advertisement

Patww79 wrote: »
    Can't find it on Youtube and not sure which show but....I'm sure it happened...I think

• Registered Users Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭Nonoperational

Gas how there are so many people saying it's piss and I bet they never drank it. It's grand, like any other mainstream lager. Still widely available in the North.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,036 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Gas how there are so many people saying it's piss and I bet they never drank it. It's grand, like any other mainstream lager. Still widely available in the North.

This is exactly the point I was trying to make.

A fella my dad knew's cousin in the seventies gotted an ulcer so Harp is pish.

Or it must be pish or it wouldn't have fallen out of fashion.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,783 ✭✭✭KungPao

I’d love a few Steiger.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,438 ✭✭✭j8wk2feszrnpao

As you doubt others, I'll doubt you and say you never drank it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭wandatowell

Thank god I'm not the only one. Down the local its absolute muck, tastes of fizzy water but across the road the apricot taste shines through and it lovely.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭Flesh Gorden

It's funny someone mentioned the phrase 'Harp-Burn', used to get cheap cans of it when there was nothing else left around Dublin or further north, back in my late teens/early 20's.

Only Royal Dutch and Harp used to have that odd feeling of it stripping my insides.

The difference being Harp would keep repeating on me with a burning feel.
    Thank god I'm not the only one. Down the local its absolute muck, tastes of fizzy water but across the road the apricot taste shines through and it lovely.

Wouldn't be a drinker of Hop House 13, but something I've learned the hard way with Murphys and Beamish, is in the more touristy pubs where they neither pint would be as popular as Guinness, they leave a horrible aftertaste.

If it's not selling as much as the Buds and Heinekens, I wonder if the servicing of the taps is less frequent and the kegs going a bit stale. (if that's even possible)

I now tend to stick to the very bland, but reliable pint of Guinness if it's a more touristy pub.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭kooga

just grab a few cans of that new rockshore lager - had a pint of it on Tuesday night in the briar rose - reminded me of harp

• Registered Users Posts: 1,122 ✭✭✭killanena

Can confirm that they are sold in my local fine wines, just picked up an 8 pack for €9. I've never drank it before but my uncle drinks it religiously on tap in his local so I'm curious to see what its like.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,460 ✭✭✭✭MEGA BRO WOLF 5000

I've drank many many different beers and none as bad as what comes out of a can of Harp.

I've drank many many different beers and none as bad as what comes out of a can of Harp.

I bet a blind tasting might give interesting results.

I bet a blind tasting might give interesting results.

I bet it doesn't. It smells like mould.

I bet it doesn't. It smells like mould.

Unless you do it, we'll never know.

I always pick up a new beer when I'm in the offie. I've tried hundreds over the years and Harp remains the only one that was undrinkable. Granted I've only ever had it from a can, but still it was awful.

Think I'll have to pick up 6 Harp over the weekend and give em a whirl

• Advertisement

Should we organise a Cork City Harp blind taste test? Is this the time for action?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,869 ✭✭✭NewbridgeIR

I always pick up a new beer when I'm in the offie. I've tried hundreds over the years and Harp remains the only one that was undrinkable. Granted I've only ever had it from a can, but still it was awful.

Try it at room temperature or "off the shelf"

qsNzXas.jpg
    Time to give Harp a fair try.
    I'm expecting great things

Well, how is it?? Don't keep us waiting!

stink right?

One can down, there's a very noticeable metallic taste from the can. Much more so than you'd get from Dutch, Tuborg etc
    Saying that, what I can taste from the beer is fairly inoffensive.
    The second can I'll have from a pint glass, see if that makes a difference.
    To be fair to Harp, I had my expectations set low but it's pleasently surprising me, especially at a budget price

Halfway through my second Harp, this one from a glass.
    As Hunky Monster suggests, there's a bit of a waft off it.
    Metallic taste that I'd mentioned earlier is gone but it's been replaced by a fairly manky smell. Admittedly, it tasted the same going down but I can't deny there is an odour from the beer
    To be honest I'd get over it as the Harp is doing its job and it's doing it cheaply

Halfway through my second Harp, this one from a glass.
    As Hunky Monster suggests, there's a bit of a waft off it.
    Metallic taste that I'd mentioned earlier is gone but it's been replaced by a fairly manky smell. Admittedly, it tasted the same going down but I can't deny there is an odour from the beer
    To be honest I'd get over it as the Harp is doing its job and it's doing it cheaply

It's a few months since I got the 6 pack of cans and I found it really metallic. I can get over the waft even but there's a lot of other cheaper beers I'd buy before it. Have a look at the ALDI/LIDL offerings - far nicer.

Advertisement