Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advice on what to plant

Options
  • 12-04-2018 12:19pm
    Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Hi all,

I'm in the middle of overhauling my garden, and when done I'll have roughly 17m worth of relatively narrow bedding bordering it that I want to plant in.

About 12m of that is running up the right-hand side, and I'd like to fill it with flowers or small shrubs.

The remaining 5m is along the back and I want to put climbers all along there to eventually cover up some fairly dull fencing (which is about 2m high).

I'd also like to put something a bit bigger in the corner between the two (a tall-ish shrub?) partly as a feature bit also to cover an ugly junction between fences.

The house is south-west facing so the bit running along the side doesn't get great sunlight (especially the big closer to the house). The back wall gets plenty of light, though.

Can't say for sure but the ground seems to be relatively well-draining, too.

In terms of specifics, I don't mind if what goes on the long bit take a few feet of height but I'm more interested in them growing out to cover as much of the bedding as I can.

Would also like to keep things as colourful as possible for as much of the year.

Colour would be great in the climbers - but most of all I want to avoid something like ivy that will try to takeover.

Other than that some nice smells and attracting a bit of wildlife would be no harm... we have a dog too so would need to avoid anything harmful to him (and if there are any plants out there known for their calming effect on pooches...)

I've had a bit of a look online and in garden centres to see what catches my eye - but if anyone can give pointers on what they'd recommend or what might fit the bill in terms of what I want I'd be very grateful for your suggestions.

Thanks!

Advertisement