Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Standby/last minute flights

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,022 ✭✭✭Cosmo Kramer

Pat Dunne wrote: »
    What a completely crass and heartless comment to make.
    The loss of a loved one is a extremely tough at the best of times. So your preference is that someone's nearest and dearest should languish on a Mortuary Slab for a forthnight or so.

Completely accurate more like. The turnaround times for funerals in Ireland are absurd by international standards. A couple more days to let people orgainse things and grieve privately wouldn't hurt anyone.

Anyway, back to aviation...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,691 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Pat Dunne wrote: »
    What a completely crass and heartless comment to make.
    The loss of a loved one is a extremely tough at the best of times. So your preference is that someone's nearest and dearest should languish on a Mortuary Slab for a forthnight or so.

People miss funerals of loved ones because of the undue haste. There is absolutely no reason to have funerals as quickly as we do here; and it is basically unheard of outside the Islamic world to do so.

For a country with such a large diaspora and historical emigration patterns it is very likely that there are people who will want to be at a funeral to mourn and grieve and effectively either can't or have to spend huge sums of money to do so for, what exactly? What benefit is the two to three day turnaround?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,748 ✭✭✭Captain_Crash

Staff travel has been mentioned a lot here. I don't work in aviation myself but because of family ties I've had staff travel my whole life, and still have it today. I can count on one hand how many times we didn't get onto a flight and the last time I used it I arrived in DUB at 5:50am, went to the ticket counter and was seated in 5A headed to LHR by 6:30am.

Although I've never used it to European destinations (excl last minute LHR) because its normally so cheap to book and have some reassurance.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,201 ✭✭✭Doltanian

I know four Irish American relatives of mine who recently spent close to $20,000 to come to a funeral in Kerry and the most absurd thing was they had to fly in to Belfast as it was during the huge snowfalls in the US. Crazy money but they didn't mind as they are large earners but unless it was a parent I wouldn't shell out that sort of money.

• Advertisement
Advertisement