Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Outright lies in Campaign

14567810»

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 20 scorching hemorrhoids

abortion only up to 12 weeks, yeah right.

abortion only up to 12 weeks, yeah right.

How is that a lie?

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 40,426 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Apparently John McGuirk is being asked to honour his personal election pledge (which will probably be another lie)...
    On March 31, Mr McGuirk tweeted that he would "never take a political job again" if Dublin Central won 75% of the vote in the referendum to repeal the Eighth Amendment.

The Dublin Central constituency has in fact closed at 76.51% in favour of Yes, just over the 3-1 margin.

https://www.breakingnews.ie/discover/calls-for-john-mcguirk-to-honour-pledge-and-retire-from-political-campaigns-845260.html

Cheerio. Hope to never hear from you again!

How is that a lie?

wait and see, abortion 13,14,15,16,17,18 weeks, we all know its going to happen

There's no evidence to suggest that at all!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,121 ✭✭✭amcalester

Only a matter of time before we have calls for abortion up to 75 weeks.

Mark my words.

^^^ South Park - Cartman's Mom is Still a Dirty Slut (1998)
    Liane Cartman: [At the Unplanned Parenthood Clinic] I want to have... an abortion.

Nurse Goodly: Oh, well, we can do that. This must be a very difficult time for you, Mrs...

Liane Cartman: Cartman. Yes, it's such a hard decision but I just don't feel like I can raise a child in this screwy world.

Nurse Goodly: Yes, Ms. Cartman, if you don't feel fit to raise a child, an abortion probably is the answer. Do you know the actual time of conception?

Liane Cartman: About 8 years ago.

Nurse Goodly: [thinking] I see... So the fetus is...

Liane Cartman: 8 years old.

Nurse Goodly: Ms. Cartman, 8 years old is a little late to be considering abortion.

Liane Cartman: Really?

Nurse Goodly: Yes, this is what we would refer to as the 40th trimester.

Liane Cartman: But I just don't think I'm a fit mother.

Nurse Goodly: But we prefer to abort babies a little earlier on. In fact, there's a law against abortions after the 2nd trimester.

Liane Cartman: Well, I think you need to keep your laws off of my body!

Nurse Goodly: Hummm... I'm afraid I can't help you, Ms. Cartman. If you want to change the law, you'll have to speak with your congressman.

Liane Cartman: Well, that's exactly what I intend to do! Good day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,356 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

There's no evidence to suggest that at all!

So what happens the women who have to travel after 12 weeks, I thought this was the whole issue people having to travel.
    This is where it's going to get tricky.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,555 ✭✭✭antiskeptic

amcalester wrote: »

Mark my words.

"Trust Women" .

"What's right for you is right for you. What's right for me is right for me".

"Bring them home so they can receive healthcare here!"

"Bodily autonomy"

"Killing can be healthcare"

Trust men as well as women. Bring em home from Switzerland rather than the UK and ... Hey Presto!

Euthanasia on request.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,397 ✭✭✭✭FreudianSlippers

So what happens the women who have to travel after 12 weeks, I thought this was the whole issue people having to travel.
    What does this even mean?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,356 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

In response to up above, abortion after 12 weeks. Will women still have to travel, under the proposed legislation they will have to

• Registered Users Posts: 2,247 ✭✭✭pauldla

Any cultures resident in our land for whom a boy is preferable (even as a firstborn) to a girl?

I hear you're a racist now, Father?

Jaysis he’s over here asking the same question too? He wouldn’t answer over on A&A, got all coy. Then came out with something about FGM. Gas character altogether.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,596 ✭✭✭Hitman3000

Euthanasia on request.

What's wrong with euthanasia? If someone wants to end their suffering I can't see a reason to deny them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,908 ✭✭✭zom

Hitman3000 wrote: »
    What's wrong with euthanasia? If someone wants to end their suffering I can't see a reason to deny them.

It perfectly matches our modern society policy - only young, pretty and healthy survive. Euhtanize all the rest !!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭The Bishop Basher

I’d support any proposal to legislate for euthanasia. I don’t understand why everyone is so worked up about abortion when euthanasia affects far more people.

I also have a major difficulty with late 2nd and 3rd trimester abortions and the way they’re carried out. Given the violent nature by which the baby is destroyed would it not be more compassionate to deliver the baby and then euthanize it humanely after birth ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,029 ✭✭✭SusieBlue

I know I sound like a broken record but late term terminations will only be permitted in cases of FFA or severe threat to the mother.

These are wanted, loved babies. They are not torn limb from limb. They aren’t abortions - the pregnancy is simply terminated early.

The mother is induced and the baby is born via labour or caesarean section.

If you look at any TFMR interview, across the board, they ALL talk about spending time with their baby after the birth, getting pictures and keepsakes.
    They also speak of the biggest stress of all, which is getting their baby’s body home. They talked about how they wish their families could have met their baby.
    For those scenarios to be reality, they would need a body to bring home and bury.

In cases of medical emergency because of the mothers health, the quickest exit route is a cesearean section.
    Once again, these are wanted babies, why would their parents allow them to be chopped up?
    They are sent straight to neonatal and given every chance and the best of care.

This talk of decapatation and dismemberment came from the No side and it couldn’t be further from the truth - these babies are grieved for by their parents and given proper funerals.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,337 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

zom wrote: »
    It perfectly matches our modern society policy - only young, pretty and healthy survive. Euhtanize all the rest !!
    Yes because someone living with an incurable disease making their life a living hell are doing it because the society wants people to be young and pretty; nothing to do with them having a say over their own body and life quality and deciding when enough pain is enough.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,908 ✭✭✭zom

Nody wrote: »
    Yes because someone living with an incurable disease making their life a living hell are doing it because the society wants people to be young and pretty; nothing to do with them having a say over their own body and life quality and deciding when enough pain is enough.

It will make easier for everyone if we could get rid of people with incurable diseases.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,420 ✭✭✭splinter65

It will make easier for everyone if we could get rid of people with incurable diseases.

Easier and cheaper. More money for the state to spread around people who don’t have incurable diseases, or disabilities...or mental illnesses...

They won’t have to travel anywhere. It’s going to be 20 weeks. Possibly more. We can’t stop now. Everyone must be looked after.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,121 ✭✭✭amcalester

splinter65 wrote: »
    Easier and cheaper. More money for the state to spread around people who don’t have incurable diseases, or disabilities...or mental illnesses...

That reminds me, forced sterilization after 2 children if you can’t demonstrate an ability to support further children.

If you don’t discover your pregnant till 12 weeks and 1 day, and you don’t wish to be pregnant, what happens then ? Can’t you just fib about your LMP date when you go into the GPs office? It’s only a little lie. How’s he/she to know?

amcalester wrote: »
    This is frustratingly confusing.

So we’re not allowed fix it so that women who can’t support children don’t have children but those same women are not allowed abort the pregnancies that will result in children.

I’ll de frustrate it for you right now by blocking you. Sleep easy now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,255 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

I mean, you do realise that euthanasia is voluntary, right?

Like, someone with an incurable or horrible disease knows they'll die in agony or misery, and instead chooses the time and place of their death?

Sonics2k wrote: »
    I mean, you do realise that euthanasia is voluntary, right?

Like, someone with an incurable or horrible disease knows they'll die in agony or misery, and instead chooses the time and place of their death?

Why do you think euthanasia is only legal in a very few countries Sonics?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,255 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

Religious dogma, if I'm honest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,619 ✭✭✭volchitsa

Because we're starting from religious cultures where for generations even suicide was a mortal sin, for one thing. The status quo is very much against legal euthanasia.

It's also a complex issue and not one that people like to think about when they don't have to. So any change is slow and uncertain. And I don't just mean in Ireland.

Reem Alsalem UNSR Violence Against Women and Girls: "Very concerned about statements by the IOC at Paris2024 (M)ultiple international treaties and national constitutions specifically refer to women & their fundamental rights, so the world (understands) what women -and men- are. (H)ow can one assess fairness and justice if we do not know who we are being fair and just to?"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,625 ✭✭✭fergus1001

amcalester wrote:

and much like the religious nuts on the no side the middle ground won't listen

It was a yes vote accept it or move to Northern Ireland DUP would love you

Sonics2k wrote: »
    Religious dogma, if I'm honest.

So religious dogma doesn’t get in the way of abortion in the UK but does get in the way of euthanasia ?
    Religious dogma prevents euthanasia in all but 5 Eu states!??
    Jesus sonic you don’t know very much about it do you?

• Advertisement

volchitsa wrote: »
    Because we're starting from religious cultures where for generations even suicide was a mortal sin, for one thing. The status quo is very much against legal euthanasia.

It's also a complex issue and not one that people like to think about when they don't have to. So any change is slow and uncertain. And I don't just mean in Ireland.

But the option has been thoroughly explored in many countries including the UK and totally rejected on many grounds and for very good reasons primarily the fact that it is completely impossible to rule out the possibility that patients may be pressurized either actually or in the patients imagination by family or healthcare workers or because of financial reasons.
    Sooner or later you’ll run out of things that can be blamed on religion, I think.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,799 ✭✭✭Enzokk

Well no law will be able to cover all eventualities and be perfect. All we can do is make laws for the majority of cases and deal with the exceptions in the best way possible. Your question is vague though so it is impossible to offer an opinion on a question that could have a lot of different answers. Do you want to be more specific if you really want to ask about woman that travel after 12 weeks to have an abortion?

Enzokk wrote: »
    Well no law will be able to cover all eventualities and be perfect. All we can do is make laws for the majority of cases and deal with the exceptions in the best way possible. Your question is vague though so it is impossible to offer an opinion on a question that could have a lot of different answers. Do you want to be more specific if you really want to ask about woman that travel after 12 weeks to have an abortion?

Well the 8th amendment is gone now which means the legislation can be introduced to allow for abortion and that legislation will probably commence with a 12 week cut off point but can and will be extended and extended to accommodate all the groups lobbying for more.
    That’s what happens everywhere and there’s no reason to think it will be any different here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,799 ✭✭✭Enzokk

Well the 8th amendment is gone now which means the legislation can be introduced to allow for abortion and that legislation will probably commence with a 12 week cut off point but can and will be extended and extended to accommodate all the groups lobbying for more.
    That’s what happens everywhere and there’s no reason to think it will be any different here.

Do you have a list of countries where a limit was set and then extended and also a list where the limit has stayed the same?

You're just wildly speculating. Once the legislation is passed, no politician will want to go near it ever again!

Just wait and see,Unlimited abortion is what we have now, no if ands or buts about it.
    We all know this, to deny it now is foolish.....
    So of course the usual suspect will be along soon to deny

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,829 ✭✭✭✭looksee

The rejoicing at the yes vote had much more to do with women's health and very little, if nothing, to do with 'killing babies'. The numbers that would have voted for abortion simply to 'get rid' of a pregnancy on a whim would have been miniscule. The enthusiasm was misleading, I doubt any of the crowds would have agreed that they were in favour of killing babies. Few would have been in favour of eliminating fetuses just as a form of contraception.

The need to pass this referendum was much more complex and had everything to do with women's health, bodily autonomy, safety in pregnancy. As an extension of that it was about a move away from the grip of religious dogmas and uncaring attitudes to 'respectability' and approved morality. It was about women's rights.

The posters and opinions of the No side were a desperate effort to retain control of society, and especially women, by use of those dogmas and attitudes. The use of inaccurate images and statistical lies were just a ruse to achieve the aim of maintaining that control. I have no doubt that many of the No supporters thought they were fighting for the rights of innocent babies, but they were being led down that path by money and influence that supported darker aims - power over society. That sounds like a conspiracy theory, I know. Fortunately the vast majority of people could see the weakness of the arguments, and voted yes for the wider needs of the health and well-being of women and their families.

The clearest argument that the No campaign was hollow rhetoric was shown by the fact that its principle supporters are the same people who have no concern for, and often a negative influence on, children after their birth. And my own opinion is that the reason the No side was so loud before the referendum, then lost so resoundingly is that the major influences - the money for posters for example - came from outside the State, they had the money but not the votes.

This attempted interference with local affairs is where the CT 'world powers' notion begins to sound a little bit convincing, and is something that we should be taking note of.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,619 ✭✭✭volchitsa

looksee wrote: »
    And my own opinion is that the reason the No side was so loud before the referendum, then lost so resoundingly is that the major influences - the money for posters for example - came from outside the State, they had the money but not the votes.

This attempted interference with local affairs is where the CT 'world powers' notion begins to sound a little bit convincing, and is something that we should be taking note of.

The crowd sourcing that worked so well for prochoice was evidence of feeling on the ground, but of course it's much easier to say that was sufficient in hindsight!

I think it's a sign of how mature the Irish electorate has become that there was no equivalent to Brexit in the end.

And to be fair to the government, setting up the Citizens' and the Dáil Committee and putting up the proposed legislation beforehand was all venue different to how the British went about the Brexit referendum so cack handedly.

But you are right that it would be unwise to be complacent about the continued potential for political interference.

Reem Alsalem UNSR Violence Against Women and Girls: "Very concerned about statements by the IOC at Paris2024 (M)ultiple international treaties and national constitutions specifically refer to women & their fundamental rights, so the world (understands) what women -and men- are. (H)ow can one assess fairness and justice if we do not know who we are being fair and just to?"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,057 ✭✭✭.......

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,279 ✭✭✭NuMarvel

....... wrote: »

I'll save splinter the trouble, because I've looked; there is nowhere else that introduced a 12 week time-frame and then extended it. Not in Europe anyway, and some of them have had it in place for decades. What has happened is that some places have introduced restrictive models, eg legislating for exceptional cases only, and then expanded into something like we're proposing. But that's completely different to what Splinter is claiming.

But as has been pointed out countless times before (so I don't know why Splinter hasn't seen it), in practice, when women who need an abortion can access it early, they will access it early.

Look at France, Sweden and the UK for example. France is on request up to 12 weeks, Sweden on request up to 18 weeks, and the UK on health grounds up 24 weeks. All different laws and timeframes, yet in each case, more than 90% of women have an abortion before 12 weeks. What's more, due to advances in medicine and changes in access to that medication, more and more abortions are happening earlier in the pregnancy. In the UK 81% of abortions in 2016 were before the 10th week. That's up from 68% in 2006, ten years earlier. In 2002 (the earliest I can find), it was 57%.

No matter what the laws actually say, the vast majority of abortions will happen within the first trimester. And due to medical advancements and increased access, that proportion will only go up, not down. Which, as an aside, is probably why none of our European neighbours are considering increasing the on-request timeframes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,057 ✭✭✭.......

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

Several posts deleted.

If you haven't done so already, please read the charter. Serious posts only please. No one-liners or bickering.

Thanks

Advertisement