Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Let go from work, without notice.

Options
  • 12-04-2018 3:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 22

Hi all,

About a month ago I was let go from work, a job that I was only in for about 4 weeks. I longed to work for this company since the day I graduated from college, and I suppose now that i'm gone from it make its hard for me to understand and still find it disappointing.

When I started the job, I was given daily tasks that where outside of my job role and contract, I did not mind and performed them without any hesitation and to the best of my abilities.

The one problem was that there was one guy on the team that took a disliking to me, and I kinda felt that he was threatened by me. He was a complete "pig" and a "rat", behind my back. On numerous occasions he sabotaged my work deliberately, to make me look incompetent.

On the final week, I had enough, so I approached my project manager and discussed my job role, and asked if it was possible if I could work to the job role set out in my contract. I never mentioned anything about the other guy or anything personal. He agreed to let me work away and took me away from working with the "pig"

Later on that day, the PM approached me and told me to leave my stuff on the desk and head home, that there was no job for me.

I was gutted, and very disappointed. I am an honest guy, and always work giving 100% and very helpful to others. For them both to do is annoying.

Thanks.:(

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

By law you should have been given a minimum of either one week or the duration specified in your contract. Are you saying you got neither? What did your contract specify about notice?

Otherwise there is little you can do until you are employed a minimum of one year in any job.

But there probably is more to the background. Somehow you haven't fitted in and you're missing the reason why, though based on your post, it looks like you weren't willing to put in effort apart from what is in your contract. You didn't mention your issues to them.

I'd suggest contacting their HR via email about the notice and also ask if it is possible to get some feedback on why they let you go so abruptly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,926 ✭✭✭davo10

By law you should have been given a minimum of either one week or the duration specified in your contract. Are you saying you got neither? What did your contract specify about notice?

Otherwise there is little you can do until you are employed a minimum of one year in any job.

But there probably is more to the background. Somehow you haven't fitted in and you're missing the reason why, though based on your post, it looks like you weren't willing to put in effort apart from what is in your contract. You didn't mention your issues to them.

I'd suggest contacting their HR via email about the notice and also ask if it is possible to get some feedback on why they let you go so abruptly.

One week notice is only required if you have been employed for 13 weeks to 2 years. Op was only there 4 weeks so no notice required.

Op, going to management and stating that you only wanted to work within the exact confines of the job description probably wasn't the brightest thing to do after only 4 weeks. Aptitude and attitude are important.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,574 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

davo10 wrote: »
    One week notice is only required if you have been employed for 13 weeks to 2 years. Op was only there 4 weeks so no notice required.

Op, going to management and stating that you only wanted to work within the exact confines of the job description probably wasn't the brightest thing to do after only 4 weeks. Aptitude and attitude are important.
    I’d say this.
    The last thing any workplace needs is another jobsworth who wants to tell the company what they are going to work on rather than doing the job they are tasked with.

• Registered Users Posts: 22 Duke77

Thanks for the replies, I can see a different picture now.

For 4 weeks, everyday from the moment i walked in the door to when i left each day, my colleague done nothing but, in my eyes, harass, victimize and sabotage everything I done. I found it hard to get up in the mornings to go into work.

By going to management and asking if it would be possible to move to a different sector or do other stuff, was me trying to get away from working with that nasty piece of work and maybe i should have outlined any issues i had, I agree totally it was stupid and i shot myself in the foot.

One last thing, even though I did get the bullet, I did sleep a lot better after all that, maybe it was for the best.

Cheers

Advertisement