Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Received fine in post from County Council (mistaken identity)

Options
  • 12-04-2018 5:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭

Hi, to my shock I received a fine in the post this morning from Kildare County council, informing me that I have been illegally dumping rubbish (plastic bags)

I can understand way they may think it is me, as I drop my son off for school daily at the same location where the dumping offense scene mentioned in the letter

So basically I have been accused without nay evidence

I have been in touch with them, but they are standing their ground. Any recommendations on what to do?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,700 ✭✭✭brian_t

If you don't pay and it goes to court then the Council will have to produce actual evidence.

Either a picture or an eyewitness of you removing the bags from your car.

Or papers or an envelope found in the rubbish bags which contain your name and address.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,892 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Its a lot easier to ask the council for the evidence before going to court.

If its an item with your name/address on it you are going to have extremely difficulty arguing against it. Anything should be shredded before going to the bin on the off-chance of a bin getting blown over, let alone potential identity theft.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

gluppers wrote:
    I can understand way they may think it is me, as I drop my son off for school daily at the same location where the dumping offense scene mentioned in the letter

In that case they would have to produce some evidence that it was you. Perhaps someone doesn't like you parking when dropping off your son and maliciously reported you. Challenge it, their witness won't turn up anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 264 ✭✭Magilla Gorilla

The council would not issue a litter fine because someone made a malicious complaint against someone they didn't like. Get real, please.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,781 ✭✭✭Joe Public

If KCC sent you a letter it is either because they found evidence in the rubbish with your name/address or someone reported you as dropping off the rubbish and gave your car reg. number. Another possibility is that it's a regular dumping spot and they have a hidden camera with recording in the vicinity and picked up some evidence that points to you and followed up through your car reg. number.

• Advertisement
Advertisement