Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Shoes off.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭Teyla Emmagan

I don't understand this shoes off thing at all. My shoes are part of the amazing outfit I have carefully curated to come over to your house, my whole mojo will be ruined if I have to take them off!

• Registered Users Posts: 855 ✭✭✭mickoneill31

I grew up where we didn't really take off shoes coming into the house. But now I can see the amount of crap on the roads and paths so I take of my shoes when I come in. I know dog crap is meant to be picked up but not everybody does, and some people have an amazing capacity to generate spit in Ireland. It's impossible to avoid. I don't really like walking today around my house.

I don't ask anybody else to but people generally do when they see our shoes are off.

So didn't vote in the poll. I do have a shoes of policy but don't ask others to follow it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,881 ✭✭✭Peatys

Life is too short to have a shoe policy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,383 ✭✭✭topmanamillion

castor 1 wrote: »
    It’s more hygienic to take the shoes off at the door.
    You don’t want to be bringing in dirt with small amounts of dog excrement, spittle, grit, crushed bugs etc and spreading it around on the carpets.
    Bring a clean pair of socks to put over your ‘everyday socks’.

This kind of "logic" is a contributing factor to the rise in allergies and asthma.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,595 ✭✭✭hairyslug

I would love if the flooring in our house was good enough to justify asking someone to take their shoes off.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 432 ✭✭iHungry

People worried about dragging in **** should know that everytime you or somebody in your house wipes their ass lots of microscopic ****/paper dust floats off around your house and lands on everything like your toothbrush and your kitchen work top.

So for me talking shoes off is an unnecessary inconvenience if the rest of your house isn't a laboratory clean room.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

it's takes more than a little fecal matter on the carpet to worry the Irish

• Registered Users Posts: 793 ✭✭✭ImARebel

I've a shoes off policy upstairs (carpet) but none downstairs. Even when the kids were small I didn't ask people to take their shoes. Kids rarely got sick. I think it boosted their immune system if anything as I said they were rarely sick (still aren't)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,545 ✭✭✭Martina1991

Shoes very much on at home for everyone. I'd find it weird to ask guests to take off their shoes.

I prefer to go around in my socks when I'm at home, to my mothers disgust.

"Put on a pair of shoes, you're going around cleaning the floor" and "I'm getting cold looking at ya, put on a pair of shoes".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,157 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

I do appliance repair and I get asked to remove my shoes from time to time. I can't do this. My shoes are part of my uniform and I must keep them on, on safety grounds. I could break a toe if I dropped a tool on my foot. The rubber soles also protects me if I get an electric shock. I have no problem wearing shoe protectors if the client provides them but at size 12 & a half no homeowner has had anything to fit.

It is plain wrong to expect a tradesman to remove protective clothing on entering your home. I have no problem walking away from the job if it becomes an issue as my personal safety is more important to me than anyone's floors

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,033 ✭✭✭✭bnt

Your house - your rules. But if it's a party, the floors are going to need cleaning afterwards anyway, so I wouldn't be strict about it.

Death has this much to be said for it:
    You don’t have to get out of bed for it.
    Wherever you happen to be
    They bring it to you—free.

— Kingsley Amis

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,158 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

Sleeper12 wrote: »
    I do appliance repair and I get asked to remove my shoes from time to time. I can't do this. My shoes are part of my uniform and I must keep them on, on safety grounds. I could break a toe if I dropped a tool on my foot. The rubber soles also protects me if I get an electric shock. I have no problem wearing shoe protectors if the client provides them but at size 12 & a half no homeowner has had anything to fit.

It is plain wrong to expect a tradesman to remove protective clothing on entering your home. I have no problem walking away from the job if it becomes an issue as my personal safety is more important to me than anyone's floors

Why not get your own plastic overshoe covers . We had Virgin Media here a few weeks ago on a wet dirty day .Both without asking took out over shoe covers and wore them throughout . I was really pleased as my carpet is cream

https://www.lenehans.ie/disposable-shoe-covers-pack-of-30.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,039 ✭✭✭tabby aspreme

Do any of these shoe off houses, have pets

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,158 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

I was visiting in BC last year and its the done thing to take off shoes . Everyone had a metal of plastic tray just inside for shoes , but my guess is because for 5 months they have snow on their boots coming in so its a practical thing

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭PhoenixParker

This is ridiculous.
    Whoever provides your uniform should provide appropriately sized overshoes. They're cheap and readily available.

Its a simple solution and there's no justification for trekking street dirt across a customers floors because youre not equipped.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,398 ✭✭✭facehugger99

Never wear shoes in my house.

I wouldn’t make adult visitors take theirs off but I’ll usually insist that kids do. Christ knows what kind of **** they may have been walking through and I’m not having them traipsing it on my rugs and upholstery.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,909 ✭✭✭Gwynplaine

Unless the house is on a farm. Or if there's white carpet,which is ridiculous. Funny coincidence, for New Year's last year we were invited to a friend's house for a party, but were asked to bring slippers. House is in an estate, so no dirt tracks, horse sh1t. Also the house was all tiles, so what was the point of the slippers. Was funny, but strange bopping around a house having a few cans wearing slippers.
    Only time I'd ask someone to remove shoes would be if a woman in those high heels like needles were to come in. House we're in, the floors upstairs are destroyed in pinch marks from high heels from previous owners.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 302 ✭✭Muscles Schultz

Tops off for and baps out is the policy for any lasses coming to my gaff

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭flatty

I feel awkward wearing shoes in anyone's house these days unless it's manky. I take mine off and the kids take theirs off unless specifically told not to.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

Shoes on in my house, I'd rather clean a floor than have someone's horrible feet out.

I wouldn't go into a house if they asked me to take them off.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,325 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

I hate walking on a cold floor in my socks. And when I'm at a friends house and they have a no shoes policy my feet are really cold.

However when I'm at home I always wear slippers. They're just comfier and I can put my feet up on the couch. It's not that I have a no shoes policy. It's just comfier.

I'd have no problem with a shoes off policy if I'm provided with cosy slippers so my feet don't get cold. Or even told to bring my own with me.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,731 ✭✭✭jam_mac_jam

Its a bit disgusting actually the more I think of it to have people in their socks in your house who don't live there. The athletes foot and general sweatiness. Also in the summer I would not be happy in my bare feet in somebody else's house as I would usually wear sandals.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,897 ✭✭✭CelticRambler

In my own house it never bothered me until I had children. Crawlers and floor play etc motivated it.
    bsloepro wrote: »
    I can see their point if they have young kids going around on hands and knees.

Never quite understood this logic. Children'll pick up far more dirt and germs when they're crawling around in the back garden/in the park/at the beach ... or do modern parents not do that anymore?

I have a no-shoes policy in my campervan, which caused a bit of trouble when I told the customs officer he had to take his boots off before he came in to check my storage spaces for illegal immigrants. He never asked again ... :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,157 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

This is ridiculous. Whoever provides your uniform should provide appropriately sized overshoes. They're cheap and readily available.

It's not up to me. If the homeowner wants me to wear shoe covers then it's up to them to provide them. The homeowner is then liable if you slipped going upwards and down the stairs. These things have zero grip on the carpets. Every health & safety course I have been on says not to wear them at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 793 ✭✭✭ImARebel

Some dirt is good. I'm not saying they should be licking the floor but some dirt and grime is good for kids

Places can be too clean imo

Just clean your floor?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,872 ✭✭✭Deebles McBeebles

Won't somebody think of the flat footed people!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,462 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

Verrucas.

Also carpets are so 70's.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,825 ✭✭✭LirW

We take our shoes off and change into slippers. If I get visitors I'd usually not ask them to take their shoes off when they're not going upstairs into one of the rooms.
    But they're more than welcome to, most people I know prefer to take them off.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭PhoenixParker

It's not up to me. If the homeowner wants me to wear shoe covers then it's up to them to provide them. The homeowner is then liable if you slipped going upwards and down the stairs. These things have zero grip on the carpets. Every health & safety course I have been on says not to wear them at all.

So its even more important they provide you with a type that have decent grip.

This isnt rocket science.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,793 ✭✭✭coolisin

I have no shoes policy for our sitting rooms/bedrooms.
    Our kitchen is and hallway is fine, as they are floored different!

I'm sorry my house my rules, and if I was in someone's property and they requested the same then fair play I do not have a problem.

Ps we have e a dog.
    He's not allowed in the rooms with carpet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭Dakota Dan

Myself, my husband and the kids would not wear shoes in the house. And I would expect my kids to take off their shoes in someone else's house not to be trawling dirt through the house. I would generally offer to remove my shoes or follow suit of what I know they'd prefer. In my own house I never ask any visitors to but I'd certainly prefer it.

In my own house it never bothered me until I had children. Crawlers and floor play etc motivated it. But that said I would never expect anyone to at a party - There's food and toys strewn all over the floor. The clean up is inevitable anyway in that case.

Do you also wrap your children in bubble wrap? They need to come in contact with dirt and germs to build their immunity.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,438 ✭✭✭j8wk2feszrnpao

ceadaoin. wrote: »
    I never wear shoes in the house, it's weird tbh.
    It’s weird to wear shoes in the house? Don’t get this mentality.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭Dakota Dan

A pair of good smelly sweaty socks would quickly cure those gobsh1tes.

Why are people going around with sweaty socks? Maybe from the gym or from sport, but what else?

My phone tells me I do 10,000 steps a day while I'm at work, and when I take them off at night, they don't smell, even if it's over 35c.

Do ye forget to actually wash your feet in the shower?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 23,646 ✭✭✭✭qo2cj1dsne8y4k

I don’t like people wearing shoes inside but wouldn’t ask anyone to remove their shoes

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭Foweva Awone

I always take off my shoes and coat as I come in the door of my own home, my son knows to do the same.

I generally wouldn't do so in others' homes unless asked to do so, or unless they did so - it seems a bit overly familiar or something?

I don't ask my guests to remove their shoes. I would hope if the shoes were visibly dirty they'd have enough cop on to take them off. As for invisible dirt, I have a cat who has full run of the apartment, so I'm sure the carpet is riddled with germs anyways (even though I hoover it daily and clean it every couple of weeks.)

One thing I hate though is when my dad visits and lies with his shoes up on my lovely clean couch. That is NOT okay, I don't have the heart to give out to him though. :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,149 ✭✭✭Ariadne

In my own place I wear slippers at home, never wear shoes. I find shoes uncomfortable and it's usually cold so I have sort of ugg boot slippers on. It's a heat thing though rather than a hygiene thing. I don't mind if people leave their shoes on or take them off but I do offer slippers for comfort/warmth. I'm living at home at the moment and my dad would have a fit if I didn't have something on my feet. The house is always freezing and he hates putting on the heating so once again going shoeless is not an option, the warm slippers come in handy. In my parents house people aren't asked to take off their shoes and I know they'd find it odd if they were asked to take theirs off elsewhere but they'd do it.

My partner is German and when I've been to Germany I take off my shoes when I see others doing the same. In fact I felt like a barbarian for not realising it right away, the uncivilised mucksavage with her shoes still on :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 837 ✭✭✭crossmolinalad

Why are people going around with sweaty socks? Maybe from the gym or from sport, but what else?

My phone tells me I do 10,000 steps a day while I'm at work, and when I take them off at night, they don't smell, even if it's over 35c.

One of the reasons we stopped with that crapp
    Loads of them have after walking/working the whole day with their shoes on smelly feet
    Me also
    So again we stopped with that rule because of the rotten egg smell some people came in with

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,498 ✭✭✭BrokenArrows

There are shops and classrooms in Vietnam with a shoes-off policy.

Personally, I even hate to put my shoes on at the couch before leaving since I'm walking with them on inside.

Not sure why anyone would mind taking them off. It's so much more comfortable not wearing shoes in a house.

Assuming your floors are warm.

My floors are like ice.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

I wear shoes inside and always did. But I come from a country where you would be often offered slippers and I have no problem with that. It's especially handy when it's snowing.

What I don't get is people putting down carpet and then wearing shoes. It's manky and can't be properly cleaned.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,872 ✭✭✭Deebles McBeebles

"Shower", you say?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

I see it in Slovakia when visiting. Always take shoes off or people have slip overs or indoor shoes when going into doctors surgeries or hospitals.

Over here my wife take her shoes off. I don't. When we have visitors , the kids with Slovak parents take their shoes off automatically.

We have tiles and wood throughout the house.

People's bodies sweat. At more times then the gym and sport. Of course people's feet sweat, they have sweat glands don't they. Even if you wash them the likelihood is that you will sweat. Hence having a shower in the first place, having a shower removes sweat, it does not grant magical power to feet to never sweat again.

I never wear shoes in the house but i don't ask others to take theirs off. maybe when i own a house!
    a friend always has some guest slippers to wear over your socks when you go over which is nice.

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭bsloepro

Never quite understood this logic. Children'll pick up far more dirt and germs when they're crawling around in the back garden/in the park/at the beach ... or do modern parents not do that anymore?

I have a no-shoes policy in my campervan, which caused a bit of trouble when I told the customs officer he had to take his boots off before he came in to check my storage spaces for illegal immigrants. He never asked again ... :p

It’s good to be able to see other people’s points even if they are not your own :)

But yeah when you start talking about outdoor space and then for example someone having dogs running in and out willy nilly but the humans have to take off their shoes - it starts to lose credibility. When someone put it to me before that you were in and out of the jacks in the nightclub last night in those shoes and up here visiting the toddler today I could see where they were coming from....but then when I got home and thought about the fact they’d two dogs in and out, licking themselves etc.......but then 4uck it’s your house so I can roll with it....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,547 ✭✭✭Agricola

I grew up in a house where the idea of taking off your shoes would have been ridiculous. A generation before men were coming in from the fields with wellingtons still on. In fact, they only took them off to go to bed and mass.

But I think it's a fair ask. If you have a nice light coloured carpet in your hallway or living room, it won't be very nice very long if people are coming in with shoes on, especially in winter. Doesnt matter how well you wipe them at the door. (Which is never very well)

• Registered Users Posts: 33,754 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

Too much hygiene is making people's immune systems weaker, once there isn't muck or worse on ones shoes there is no need, it is not like people eat their meals off their floors...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

Omackeral wrote: »
    This surprisingly got very heated on the last thread a few months ago. People getting really personal and all!

It seems that people living abroad get used to it and then expect Ireland to follow suit. I’d have no problem at all removing my shoes in someone’s house if they asked. I don’t wear shoes in my own house. But it’s not a general cultural expectation in Ireland so I wouldn’t think to remove my shoes in someone else’s house unless asked to.

I've friends with no shoe policies, many of them from countries that routinely have six foot high drifts of snow over the winter months, so I can see why they'd want to keep wet dirty shoes at the door. They'd usually have shoe racks with a few pairs of different sized slippers to offer people.

I take my shoes off anyway as do the others. The OH changes into a battered pair of slides at the door, I wear nothing on my feet usually if it's warm, and something furry if it's cold.

I've no problem taking my shoes off for other peoples houses, it's their house and they're entitled to their rules whether or not agree with them. If I'm dressed up, I'd rather not have to.

• Advertisement
Advertisement