Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Shoes off.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭Dakota Dan

Why are people going around with sweaty socks? Maybe from the gym or from sport, but what else?

My phone tells me I do 10,000 steps a day while I'm at work, and when I take them off at night, they don't smell, even if it's over 35c.

Do ye forget to actually wash your feet in the shower?
    It was a suggestion to stop people from asking visitors to remove their shoes a bit of humor thrown in as well, get it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,495 ✭✭✭XsApollo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,294 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

Sleeper12 wrote: »
    It's not up to me. If the homeowner wants me to wear shoe covers then it's up to them to provide them. The homeowner is then liable if you slipped going upwards and down the stairs. These things have zero grip on the carpets. Every health & safety course I have been on says not to wear them at all.

You are talking crap, there are appropriate covers for your shoes that are fine on carpet. I use them in work

Sounds like a combination of poor PPE choice and a 'my way or no way' attitude

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭r93kaey5p2izun

No. I thnk it's over the top in terms of hygiene and cleanliness reasons and too far removed from cultural norms in Ireand to be a reasonable expectation. However I almost never wear shoes in my house for comfort reasons and would certainly comply if requested to do so by someone else in their home. My experience though has been that I have left every single house where it was required with filthy socks. I'd be mortified if visitors left my home visibly dirtier than they arrived but it seems to be acceptable. People with certain rooms that can't have shoes are the oddest in my experience, and put me in mind of my granny and her "good" room fom the 1950s.

• Registered Users Posts: 354 ✭✭AvonEnniskerry

Dakota Dan wrote:
    Do you also wrap your children in bubble wrap? They need to come in contact with dirt and germs to build their immunity.

Not at all. My kids are used to being around animals (horses, dogs, cats ) and working with their dad outside whatever that may be from washing the cars, to building/fixing something or to doing the gardening. They have plenty of access to germs to build up their immunity. But even at this stage I still don't let them into the house with their shoes on. I also don't allow day clothes into the bed covers. And the kids all get showers before bed and they've to wash their hands when they come in if they've been digging in the dirt or after they use the loo.

In relation to tradesmen and guests. I have never asked a tradesman or a guest other than family to remove their shoes. I leave it up to them but with our living room up the stairs past our kitchen especially on a wet day I would rather it but have never insisted on it. It's personal preference.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,157 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

So its even more important they provide you with a type that have decent grip.

This isnt rocket science.

Put any spin on it you like. All safety courses that we must take part in, state that we should NOT wear anything over our shoes. This is a danger to us. There are no shoe covers with grip that we can or would wear. Nor are there any shoe covers that provide insulating/grounding in case of electric shock.Please provide a link to these magic shoe covers with rubber grips that you speak of.

I'll dumb this down for you. Protection clothing is designed for the individual job /trade. Our protection shoes have an industry standard grip/thread depth, not unlike your car tires. They also provide us with protection in the case of electric shock. Putting covers over the shoes renders the designed grip on the soles useless.

The whole "shoes off" thing is very pretentious IMO

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,176 ✭✭✭✭josip

I do appliance repair and I get asked to remove my shoes from time to time. I can't do this. My shoes are part of my uniform and I must keep them on, on safety grounds. I could break a toe if I dropped a tool on my foot. The rubber soles also protects me if I get an electric shock. I have no problem wearing shoe protectors if the client provides them but at size 12 & a half no homeowner has had anything to fit.

It is plain wrong to expect a tradesman to remove protective clothing on entering your home. I have no problem walking away from the job if it becomes an issue as my personal safety is more important to me than anyone's floors

Sleeper, has any homeowner ever requested that you use the tradesman's entrance instead of the front door?

You are talking crap, there are appropriate covers for your shoes that are fine on carpet. I use them in work

Sounds like a combination of poor PPE choice and a 'my way or no way' attitude

Typical keyboard warrior comment. You have no idea what safety courses tradesmen have to complete. We are told in all of these courses NOT to cover our protection shoes at all.

The bottom line is I have no problem walking away from a job. I don't suffer fools too easily.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,482 ✭✭✭Gimme A Pound

Not at all. My kids are used to being around animals (horses, dogs, cats ) and working with their dad outside whatever that may be from washing the cars, to building/fixing something or to doing the gardening. They have plenty of access to germs to build up their immunity. But even at this stage I still don't let them into the house with their shoes on. I also don't allow day clothes into the bed covers. And the kids all get showers before bed and they've to wash their hands when they come in if they've been digging in the dirt or after they use the loo.
    Obviously the hand-washing after loo or digging soil is standard, but no shoes indoors ever, no day clothes in bed, showers before bed for young kids - seems OCD.

• Advertisement

josip wrote: »
    Sleeper, has any homeowner ever requested that you use the tradesman's entrance instead of the front door?

In over 30 years no one has ever called it a tradesman's entrance. It's usually the back or side door & sometimes that's the door I use. However as I'm in shower repair & the bathroom is usually upstairs there's not much point bringing me in the side door when I have to go into the hall & up the stairs anyway. Even If we wore shoe covers I wouldn't be taking them off & on again every time I have to go to the van. It's nonsense really.

Wearing shoe covers climbing & ladder, getting into an attic with no flooring, just joists is an accident waiting to happen. Only an utter moron would work like that

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,158 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

Typical keyboard warrior comment. You have no idea what safety courses tradesmen have to complete. We are told in all of these courses NOT to cover our protection shoes at all.

The bottom line is I have no problem walking away from a job. I don't suffer fools too easily.

Would you be happy if i asked you to wipe your feet thoroughly and then put a foot mat down where you were working ? Because every single tradesman that I have asked nicely to do this has done so . I don't suffer fools gladly either

• Registered Users Posts: 4,731 ✭✭✭jam_mac_jam

Foot mats under somebody working in your house? Do electricians love muck or something?

Seriously, do people not have a hoover? or a mop?

Seriously, do people not have a hoover? or a mop?

I have both ! Used regularly on the wooden floors but when Virgin Media lads needed to work in my light carpeted sitting room they automatically used shoe covers and I helped them by putting a mat down where they were standing. I also put a mat down where the washing machine guy was kneeling so he has something warm to kneel on
    . They got a cup of coffee and a cake too for being polite

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

Mod note: Merged with a similar thread from earlier this year.

Enjoy.

Buford T. Justice

iamwhoiam wrote: »
    Would you be happy if i asked you to wipe your feet thoroughly and then put a foot mat down where you were working ? Because every single tradesman that I have asked nicely to do this has done so . I don't suffer fools gladly either

You can ask all you want but you'll see me wipe my feet long before the words are out of my mouth. I'm 51 & my mother showed me how to wipe my feet I'm guessing 48 or 49 years ago. If you have a 2nd & even a 3rd mat I'll wipe my feet on all three. Some people have no mat at all! This I don't understand.

I work standing in showers & baths. sometimes the client puts down plastic on the tray or bath. I take it up as it's slippy & dangerous. I then put down a freshly laundered bath towel that I supply. This gives me better grip & acts as a protector for the bath in the unlikely case of me dropping a screwdriver. While working on the shower we have to let water run through as we stand in the shower. Again you can't do this type of work in your socks. We leave the bathroom as clean as possible.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,731 ✭✭✭jam_mac_jam

I have both ! Used regularly on the wooden floors but when Virgin Media lads needed to work in my light carpeted sitting room they automatically used shoe covers and I helped them by putting a mat down where they were standing. I also put a mat down where the washing machine guy was kneeling so he has something warm to kneel on
    . They got a cup of coffee and a cake too for being polite

The cake probably cancels it out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,825 ✭✭✭LirW

In over 30 years no one has ever called it a tradesman's entrance. It's usually the back or side door & sometimes that's the door I use. However as I'm in shower repair & the bathroom is usually upstairs there's not much point bringing me in the side door when I have to go into the hall & up the stairs anyway. Even If we wore shoe covers I wouldn't be taking them off & on again every time I have to go to the van. It's nonsense really.

Wearing shoe covers climbing & ladder, getting into an attic with no flooring, just joists is an accident waiting to happen. Only an utter moron would work like that

Look, I think people appreciate health& safety regulations, it makes absolute sense. Most people are also aware that working in a trade can be quite filthy at times.

What does get people though is that there is a good number of tradespeople out there that simply don't give a sh1t leaving any traces behind. There are home improvement groups on Facebook and it comes up over and over again that some simply don't bother leaving the place in an acceptable state and many are quite cautious to point it out since everyone knows how hard it is to get them in in the first place, especially when it's a smaller job.
    I've had amazing tradesmen in leaving the space spotless. I've had others in that littered my front garden with fags, had no consideration that walls were just freshly painted and left markings. Leaving their rubbish all over the place because the way to the bin is too far. Even flushing the toilet is a big ask for some.

The same sort wouldn't care to run across a carpeted bedroom with their shoes mucky from the rain because they're in and out the door 20 times a day.
    That does make people weary and people are not happy with the godlike attitude some tradespeople show, knowing that beside getting new radiators they can also do a deep clean of the house afterwards.

I think everyone is aware that you'd hoover and mop the floors afterwards. But within reason.

You can ask all you want but you'll see me wipe my feet long before the words are out of my mouth. I'm 51 & my mother showed me how to wipe my feet I'm guessing 48 or 49 years ago. If you have a 2nd & even a 3rd mat I'll wipe my feet on all three. Some people have no mat at all! This I don't understand.

I work standing in showers & baths. sometimes the client puts down plastic on the tray or bath. I take it up as it's slippy & dangerous. I then put down a freshly laundered bath towel that I supply. This gives me better grip & acts as a protector for the bath in the unlikely case of me dropping a screwdriver. While working on the shower we have to let water run through as we stand in the shower. Again you can't do this type of work in your socks. We leave the bathroom as clean as possible.

Well done you . I must remember the bath towel trick for future reference too

The cake probably cancels it out.

Cancels what out ?

Dakota Dan wrote: »
    It was a suggestion to stop people from asking visitors to remove their shoes a bit of humor thrown in as well, get it?

Loads of posts have mentioned smelly socks. I don't get it.. It's not hard, and feels good, to throw on new ones every day.

I thought only kids went around with smelly socks.

• Advertisement

*in reference to gimme a pound siting OCD. Sorry the post didn't quote.

Or hygienic. Why would I let kids get into their bed in the clothes they've been crawling around outside in. My kids clothes are generally manky by the end of the day. Between dirty knees. Spills. Hands wiped on them and or small accidents. Not to mention snot. A shower before bed is only teaching them the general hygiene that I'd expect of any adult. That a shower a day is good for cleanliness. It just suits us better that it's evening for the kids. Nothing untoward there in my eyes.

LirW wrote: »
    Look, I think people appreciate health& safety regulations, it makes absolute sense. Most people are also aware that working in a trade can be quite filthy at times.

What does get people though is that there is a good number of tradespeople out there that simply don't give a sh1t leaving any traces behind. There are home improvement groups on Facebook and it comes up over and over again that some simply don't bother leaving the place in an acceptable state and many are quite cautious to point it out since everyone knows how hard it is to get them in in the first place, especially when it's a smaller job.
    I've had amazing tradesmen in leaving the space spotless. I've had others in that littered my front garden with fags, had no consideration that walls were just freshly painted and left markings. Leaving their rubbish all over the place because the way to the bin is too far. Even flushing the toilet is a big ask for some.

The same sort wouldn't care to run across a carpeted bedroom with their shoes mucky from the rain because they're in and out the door 20 times a day.
    That does make people weary and people are not happy with the godlike attitude some tradespeople show, knowing that beside getting new radiators they can also do a deep clean of the house afterwards.

I think everyone is aware that you'd hoover and mop the floors afterwards. But within reason.

Pay peanuts & you'll get monkeys. I'm over 30 years self employed & know how to treat someones home. Some of the biggest letting agents have used us for over 20 years & some will only use us on their very high end properties.

The problem with some tradesmen is that they were trained on building sites. This happened a lot in the 90s & 0s. They can be as messy as they like there. Eventually they try get into homes rather than sites. There was a massive influx of them after the crash but most couldn't make a go of it & part of the reason is because they treated homes like a building site. I've seen some walk into a kitchen & put their tool bag on the kitchen table of breakfast bar. I don't care if it's a shiny new tool bag you can still mark or scratch the surface.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,482 ✭✭✭Gimme A Pound

Loads of posts have mentioned smelly socks. I don't get it.. It's not hard, and feels good, to throw on new ones every day.

I thought only kids went around with smelly socks.
    Some people's feet stink easily after a few hours though.
    Or hygienic. Why would I let kids get into their bed in the clothes they've been crawling around outside in. My kids clothes are generally manky by the end of the day. Between dirty knees. Spills. Hands wiped on them and or small accidents. A shower before bed is only teaching them the general hygiene that I'd expect of any adult. That a shower a day is good for cleanliness. It just suits us better that it's evening for the kids. Nothing untoward there in my eyes.
    Ah ok I thought you meant day clothes no matter what - even if they're clean. Adults have to shower regularly though - children don't.

Ah ok I thought you meant day clothes no matter what - even if they're clean. Adults have to shower regularly though - children don't.

Children may not smell but they are in many ways much dirtier than adults.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,176 ✭✭✭✭josip

Apart from the occasional headlice infestation, is it not all sugar and spice?

Some people's feet stink easily after a few hours though.

For a lot, that's because they just stand in the shower. Mine used to till I made an effort to bend down and actually wash them properly.

I'm not being silly here. I only started washing them properly in my 20s when I really noticed they still smelled bad when I was cutting my nails afterwards.

Exfoliating scrub does the job well. I live in a country where I have my shoes off a lot so that's when I paid attention.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,913 ✭✭✭v638sg7k1a92bx

Pay peanuts & you'll get monkeys. I'm over 30 years self employed & know how to treat someones home. Some of the biggest letting agents have used us for over 20 years & some will only use us on their very high end properties.

The problem with some tradesmen is that they were trained on building sites. This happened a lot in the 90s & 0s. They can be as messy as they like there. Eventually they try get into homes rather than sites. There was a massive influx of them after the crash but most couldn't make a go of it & part of the reason is because they treated homes like a building site. I've seen some walk into a kitchen & put their tool bag on the kitchen table of breakfast bar. I don't care if it's a shiny new tool bag you can still mark or scratch the surface.

So true. I've had this bitter experience on a number of occasions. When I hired an electrician to install some sockets and switches, they bashed out and chased the walls and left the walls in bits to me to repair because they were just there to install the sockets. Another time I had a plubmer chasing out a concrete wall to run some pipe because I didn't want to see the pipe running along the top of the wall. I found the plumber standing on top of my fridge rather than use a step ladder, asked him to get down off the fridge, came back an hour later and he's back on top of the fridge.

The thing to keep in mind about tradesmen and people who work in construction in general is that they will always choose the path of least resistance and take short cuts.

Be that as it may, no reasonable minded person would expect a tradesman working in their house to remove their shoes, that just gives you an insight into the mindset of the type of person you're dealing with.

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭Marlay

Obviously the hand-washing after loo or digging soil is standard, but no shoes indoors ever, no day clothes in bed, showers before bed for young kids - seems OCD.

No it doesn't. That is not what OCD is.

https://iocdf.org/blog/2013/03/01/5-things-ocd-is-not/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,951 ✭✭✭B0jangles

I don't understand this shoes off thing at all. My shoes are part of the amazing outfit I have carefully curated to come over to your house, my whole mojo will be ruined if I have to take them off!

Get these:

zBRhTjF.png

One look at these unspeakable horrors and they'll be begging you to put your shoes back on.

WHVKWys.png
    (I'm very sorry)

Most of our house is laminate flooring at the moment.

In the past it would have been a mostly carpeted house, with some lino.

In my 30 years of life, I've never asked anyone to take their shoes off, and never will. If they want to take them off, go for it, but otherwise I think it's an arrogant thing to request. Someone's comfort shouldn't be hindered if they're coming to my house.

• Advertisement

B0jangles wrote: »
    (I'm very sorry)

You should be :(

I feel like I've accidentally seen some really dark niche porn after clapping eyes on those obscenities! My eyes!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,395 ✭✭✭1800_Ladladlad

If I ask someone to take their shoes of, its usually weather dependant. If its been pissin rain and miserable out or if its been snowing thats when they will be asked to remove their shoes.. Also when Iv just washed the floor. Most of my friends/family are not mindfull of their surroundings when visiting me ie putting their feet up on a table or against aswell ass putting their shoes on the couch etc. Thats the level of disrespect imo. So if I ask people to take their shoes off in because people are not aware of their habits that they deem acceptable in their own home while not being conscious of the fact that they are in somebody else's home.

The same people who refuse to take their shoes off or take issue with it are the sort to have a problem with or to tell you not to eat in their car. If someone asks me not to eat in their car because of the possibly that it could make a mess.I don't eat in the car because the owner of the car may have to clean it up. Its not an issue what-so-ever

Taking my shoes off is basic manners when entering someones house for the first time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,354 ✭✭✭✭endacl

ceadaoin. wrote: »
    I think the rude thing is turning down an invitation just because you'll have to take your shoes off! It's hardly a big deal

652.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 809 ✭✭✭Blaizes

RobertKK wrote: »
    Too much hygiene is making people's immune systems weaker, once there isn't muck or worse on ones shoes there is no need, it is not like people eat their meals off their floors...

A friend of mine works in the medical field says the same, reckons we are sanitised to within an inch of our lives and that it isn't good for the immune system.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,973 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

I visit friends who are in their new house and they have the shoes off vibe going on. Thing is, they have house slippers they wear indoors and I find their floor noticeably cold. I spent a few hours there a couple of weeks ago and actually borrowed a pair of socks which i put on over mine. They didn't comment.

Was there another time and cut my visit short because quite simply, my feet were cold.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,657 ✭✭✭somefeen

I shared a house where this was the rule once.
    Absolutely wrecked my head.
    Its horribly inefficient.

I visit friends who are in their new house and they have the shoes off vibe going on. Thing is, they have house slippers they wear indoors and I find their floor noticeably cold. I spent a few hours there a couple of weeks ago and actually borrowed a pair of socks which i put on over mine. They didn't comment.

Was there another time and cut my visit short because quite simply, my feet were cold.

You are a saint to put up with that.I simply wouldn't visit but that's me.Alternatively you could drop a hint about the benefits of underfloor heating for non shoe wearing guests :D

And on a serious note some people do suffer from cold feet.My mother always has cold feet due to a medical condition and she wouldn't be happy to take her shoes off in someone else's house for this reason.Also shoes provide foot and ankle support what happens if someone falls over on a slippy floor or tiles.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,913 ✭✭✭v638sg7k1a92bx

Blaizes wrote: »
    And on a serious note some people do suffer from cold feet.My mother always has cold feet due to a medical condition and she wouldn't be happy to take her shoes off in someone else's house for this reason.Also shoes provide foot and ankle support what happens if someone falls over on a slippy floor or tiles.

My parents were visiting and we were invited to a "friends" house for a halloween party. We got there and it was shoes off at the door. Elderly parents trying to bend down and take their shoes off in your doorway. I don't know why I still get surprised but every so often I get caught out by how ignorant some people are to the situation around them.
    On what planet do people think it is ok to invite GUESTS to your home and the first thing you do before they enter your home is to derobe them and ask them to remove their shoes at your hall door which is invariably cluttered with numerous pairs of shoes? Do these people not stop and consider what the first impression of the people you have invited to your home will be, or if you aren't concerned then why bother inviting them to your house in the first place?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,177 ✭✭✭Wompa1

Thai inlaws. They have a shoes off policy. My wife didn't mind one way or another until we had kids then she started the policy in our place. I actually prefer it now. It's comfortable and cleaner.

The only thing worse than a shoes off policy are homes looking like a show house. We all like a clean house but I'm in some & you'd be afraid to touch anything. Well to be honest I'd be tempted to move a hanging picture 1 millimeter. Invisible to the naked eye but pure hell to these perfectionists.

To me a house with everyting perfect is a house. A house with a few things slightly out of place is a home imo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭The Bishop Basher

I’d prefer to be afraid to touch anything in a clean house then be afraid to touch anything in a dirty house..

But I do agree that there’s a happy medium which for many of us makes a house feel like a home.

Especially if they're in crèche and coming home with everything going.

A 'shoes-off' policy sounds much more enlightened than bringing in shoes that have been walking on God only knows what outside. I also prefer walking around the house in my socks. If, however, somebody wants to have such a policy in a society where it's still not common practice they should at least have spare slippers for people who aren't familiar with their preference.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,514 ✭✭✭bee06

Wompa1 wrote: »
    Thai inlaws. They have a shoes off policy. My wife didn't mind one way or another until we had kids then she started the policy in our place. I actually prefer it now. It's comfortable and cleaner.

I’d prefer a no shoes policy in our house as well. My 1 year old loves to lick the floor and pick up anything he can find to stick in his mouth. My family started taking their shoes off when they came over (without asking) when he was born and have continued it on now. My husband refuses to do it though. I would never wear shoes in the house because I like to put my feet up on the furniture, coffee table etc when I’m sitting so I don’t have a problem with anyone else with a no shoes rule.

On what planet do people think it is ok to invite GUESTS to your home and the first thing you do before they enter your home is to derobe them and ask them to remove their shoes at your hall door which is invariably cluttered with numerous pairs of shoes? Do these people not stop and consider what the first impression of the people you have invited to your home will be, or if you aren't concerned then why bother inviting them to your house in the first place?

Completely normal in other cultures and even in various other European countries.
    Back home nobody ever would just walk past the hall without taking their shoes off unless the it's explicitly offered.
    Most households would have a guest slipper basket.

Just saying it's very much a cultural thing; in countries with a lot of snow for example it's normal since the streets are very salty and the salt can ruin your floors - not good especially when you live in rental, which is standard there. Also the salty sludge takes a million years to dry.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

My parents were visiting and we were invited to a "friends" house for a halloween party. We got there and it was shoes off at the door. Elderly parents trying to bend down and take their shoes off in your doorway. I don't know i still get surprised but every so often I still get caught out by how ignorant some people are to the situation around them.

And you would go to another country and people would be horrified that you are prepared to spread outside filth around. Despite what some might think there are whole countries where people are perfectly able to function without having heart attack every time they are asked to remove their shoes. We would be even wearing slippers in school.

It really is a non issue and perfectly ok either way.

meeeeh wrote: »
    And you would go to another country and people would be horrified that you are prepared to spread outside filth around. Despite what some might think there are whole countries where people are perfectly able to function without having heart attack every time they are asked to remove their shoes. We would be even wearing slippers in school.

It really is a non issue and perfectly ok either way.

I would have to bring clean shoes to change into as I wear orthotics and cant wear slippers .But would be absolutely fine with that if I was asked to do so .

I would have to bring clean shoes to change into as I wear orthotics and cant wear slippers .But would be absolutely fine with that if I was asked to do so .

It tends to be optional if people have health or mobility issues. Where it made huge difference is in the schools. You can't properly get rid of snow of shoes and the parts where were walking in boots were very slippery and dangerous, slippers were much safer. Also everyone walked, cycled or used public transport and that tends to be dirtier than being driven to school.

meeeeh wrote: »
    It tends to be optional if people have health or mobility issues. Where it made huge difference is in the schools. You can't properly get rid of snow of shoes and the parts where were walking in boots were very slippery and dangerous, slippers were much safer. Also everyone walked, cycled or used public transport and that tends to be dirtier than being driven to school.

Yeah I remember having a locker with a clean indoor only pair of Converse knock-offs. The school maintenance guy would stand at the exit of the dressing rooms in the basement and collect a Euro from everyone not wearing their indoor shoes or slippers.
    Didn't have the policy in another school and it was a bloody sludge fest in winter, especially at the main entrance.

LirW wrote: »
    Yeah I remember having a locker with a clean indoor only pair of Converse knock-offs. The school maintenance guy would stand at the exit of the dressing rooms in the basement and collect a Euro from everyone not wearing their indoor shoes or slippers.
    Didn't have the policy in another school and it was a bloody sludge fest in winter, especially at the main entrance.

Yeah we could have runners or whatever as long as they were used only indoor. That was the only rule regarding clothing or footwear.

• Advertisement
Advertisement