Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Shoes off.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,214 ✭✭✭cbyrd

I started this practice with the kids a few years ago, because of muck and the fact we could never find the shoes the next morning because they could be anywhere in the house. So they take off their shoes and leave them at the front door with their coats.
    I was very glad to have this system in place when my youngest came along. We were told by consultants that if at all possible when he goes home (after 11 months in hospital) to make sure visitors wash hands and remove shoes... Why? says i. Because this is how most viruses get brought into a house, walked in, children pick them up rolling and playing on floors. Any of which could've seen my boy back in hospital. All of the health professionals that come to my house never had to be asked to remove shoes,

So to the non believers, take off your shoes, it might just save a life ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

My parents were visiting and we were invited to a "friends" house for a halloween party. We got there and it was shoes off at the door. Elderly parents trying to bend down and take their shoes off in your doorway. I don't know i still get surprised but every so often I still get caught out by how ignorant some people are to the situation around them.
    On what planet do people think it is ok to invite GUESTS to your home and the first thing you do before they enter your home is to derobe them and ask them to remove their shoes at your hall door which is invariably cluttered with numerous pairs of shoes? Do these people not stop and consider what the first impression of the people you have invited to your home will be, or if you aren't concerned then why bother inviting them to your house in the first place?

Hmmm surely if you are a GUEST in someone's private home, you respect their wishes re how you act etc?

Especially when as at a party, there are so many guests.

Their home; their wishes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,014 ✭✭✭Eggs For Dinner

Graces7 wrote: »
    Hmmm surely if you are a GUEST in someone's private home, you respect their wishes re how you act etc?

If I invite you as a GUEST in my house, I would want to make you as welcome and comfortable as I can.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,973 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

Yes, to a certain degree. But, the host should be conscious of guests level of comfort.
    You can't dictate entirely how someone behaves when they visit unless you are comfortable if they decide to stop calling.

I think if someone doesn't want guests wearing shoes in their house, they should provide an alternative such as slippers, sandals or crocs which the guest can use, if they wish.

It is up to the host to keep such alternatives clean between users.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,524 ✭✭✭the_pen_turner

it make sense when you have a really sick child where the place needs to be kept sterile almost.

in a normal situation its crazy and in no way cleaner

shoes are there to protect the wearer from dirt on the floor and from stuff landing on their feet. they also protect other people from issues inside the shoes like athletes foot etc

a no shoe policy can reduce the overall amount of dirt in the house but it put everyone in clontact with all of it. i would rather have a dirty floor that im not touching than a half clean floor i am touching

• Closed Accounts Posts: 612 ✭✭✭KevinCavan

What about pet cats and dogs walking around the place after being outdoors.

Maybe 'Booties' animal socks should be compulsory for all pets.

I presume people with the no shoes policy don’t own house pets.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,951 ✭✭✭B0jangles

it make sense when you have a really sick child where the place needs to be kept sterile almost.

in a normal situation its crazy and in no way cleaner

shoes are there to protect the wearer from dirt on the floor and from stuff landing on their feet. they also protect other people from issues inside the shoes like athletes foot etc

a no shoe policy can reduce the overall amount of dirt in the house but it put everyone in clontact with all of it. i would rather have a dirty floor that im not touching than a half clean floor i am touching

Wasn't that the one where Jodie Foster went on a long boring journey after some weird aliens sent instructions on how to build a single to Clontarf Road?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 809 ✭✭✭Blaizes

My parents were visiting and we were invited to a "friends" house for a halloween party. We got there and it was shoes off at the door. Elderly parents trying to bend down and take their shoes off in your doorway. I don't know i still get surprised but every so often I still get caught out by how ignorant some people are to the situation around them.
    On what planet do people think it is ok to invite GUESTS to your home and the first thing you do before they enter your home is to derobe them and ask them to remove their shoes at your hall door which is invariably cluttered with numerous pairs of shoes? Do these people not stop and consider what the first impression of the people you have invited to your home will be, or if you aren't concerned then why bother inviting them to your house in the first place?

Maybe I am old fashioned but I think it is just too much.I don't think it is welcoming at all as you say. I think it's just plain bad manners.And as you say old people bending down and struggling to take off shoes. That all leaves a very poor impression of the hosts.It says ' my floor is more important than your visit' I'd prefer to stay at home life is too short .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,176 ✭✭✭✭josip

I take my shoes off in every house I'm visiting unless whoever lives there tells me not to.
    I'd never ask a guest to take their shoes off in our house, but if they do, I'll give them a pair of Ikea slippers we keep handy for guests.
    I'm an easy-going, amenable fcuker.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,264 ✭✭✭✭jester77

Blaizes wrote: »
    Maybe I am old fashioned but I think it is just too much.I don't think it is welcoming at all as you say. I think it's just plain bad manners.And as you say old people bending down and struggling to take off shoes. That all leaves a very poor impression of the hosts.It says ' my floor is more important than your visit' I'd prefer to stay at home life is too short .

The majority of old people that visit my house bring their own indoor shoes and change into them in the hallway. All other guests just remove their shoes. Every single tradesman that comes into the house have their own shoe covers.

I've never once had to ask anyone to remove shoes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,825 ✭✭✭LirW

jester77 wrote: »
    The majority of old people that visit my house bring their own indoor shoes and change into them in the hallway. All other guests just remove their shoes. Every single tradesman that comes into the house have their own shoe covers.

I've never once had to ask anyone to remove shoes.

Yeah I remember my grandparents and my great-grandmother bringing their own indoor shoes. That is just the way it is in many places where people are leaving their shoes in the hall. It really is quite culturally engrained.

Also everyone having a dog there has a pretty rigorous cleaning routine when the weather is bad because streets are quite salty and the salt needs to be washed off. They all manage.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 260 ✭✭Magnatu

I take my shoes off when entering my house and have lived in countries where it is the norm.
    But. This is Ireland. It is not the cultural norm. I would not ask a guest to remove their shoes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭Borzoi

KevinCavan wrote: »
    I presume people with the no shoes policy don’t own house pets.

Just recently visited a friends newish house, he asked us in advance to bring as slippers or indoor shoes. Ok, no probs. Get there, change, go in and have coffee. 2 cats are roaming everywhere including on to the dining table where we're having our drinks. Manky!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,417 ✭✭✭ToddyDoody

The sign reads 'Take off your shoes off'.

To be fair, English not the first language.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,122 ✭✭✭BeerWolf

I'd rather people kept their shoes on in my house

Stepped in dog **** on the way, don't mind me carrying that over onto your carpets! :pac:

Made a thread on this a number of years back;

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=86334373

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

I don’t have a policy and often don’t do it myself, but have no issue being asked to take my shoes off in other people’s houses. I’ll usually keep an when visiting someone; if they’re in slippers and there’s shoes in the hall it’s probably a shoes-off house so i’ll kick mine off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,913 ✭✭✭v638sg7k1a92bx

meeeeh wrote: »
    And you would go to another country and people would be horrified that you are prepared to spread outside filth around. Despite what some might think there are whole countries where people are perfectly able to function without having heart attack every time they are asked to remove their shoes. We would be even wearing slippers in school.

It really is a non issue and perfectly ok either way.

If I did live in another country I would respect the cultural norms but apparently that principle works the other way around these days.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

If I invite you as a GUEST in my house, I would want to make you as welcome and comfortable as I can.
    a hospitable sentiment but where do you draw the line? some people draw it at letting people track dog feces and tuberculosis phlegm through their home.

LirW wrote: »
    Completely normal in other cultures and even in various other European countries.
    Back home nobody ever would just walk past the hall without taking their shoes off unless the it's explicitly offered.
    Most households would have a guest slipper basket.

Just saying it's very much a cultural thing; in countries with a lot of snow for example it's normal since the streets are very salty and the salt can ruin your floors - not good especially when you live in rental, which is standard there. Also the salty sludge takes a million years to dry.

Yes but this isn't back home. You've acknowledged that it's very much a cultural thing but don't seem to respect the culture in Ireland of not asking guests to remove their shoes. So if I was visiting you back home, it's not acceptable for me to wear shoes in your home because that's the culture but it's ok for you to ask me to remove my shoes in Ireland where the culture considers it rude to do so?

• Advertisement

but it's ok for you to ask me to remove my shoes in Ireland where the culture considers it rude to do so?
    I see where you're coming from but I certainly wouldn't consider a host in Ireland "rude" for asking me to remove my shoes.

Hmmm surely if you are inviting someone to your home you wouldn't be so rude to ask them to remove their shoes once they set foot in your property. Why invite guests to your home and bushwhack them with a set of house rules they didn't have a chance to agree to? If you had a house rule that when I entered your home I had to refer to you as Sir or Madam would I be expected to abide by that rules also? Do you also have a rule where guests have to clean the plates they've used when they're finished eating? Any other rules people need to know about before you invite them?

Hmmm surely if you are inviting someone to your home you wouldn't be so rude to ask them to remove their shoes once they set foot in your property.
    How is it rude? it's your shoes, not your bra

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,390 ✭✭✭Deub

Hmmm surely if you are inviting someone to your home you wouldn't be so rude to ask them to remove their shoes once they set foot in your property. Why invite guests to your home and bushwhack them with a set of house rules they didn't have a chance to agree to? If you had a house rule that when I entered your home I had to refer to you as Sir or Madam would I be expected to abide by that rules also? Do you also have a rule where guests have to clean the plates they've used when they're finished eating? Any other rules people need to know about before you invite them?

The host shouldn't need to ask. I don't see people keeping their shoes in their house but somehow some are surprised/shocked they have to remove their shoes in other people's home.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,158 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

Deub wrote: »
    The host shouldn't need to ask. I don't see people keeping their shoes in their house but somehow some are surprised/shocked they have to remove their shoes in other people's home.

In fairness people have shoes to change into in their own home . I have a foot problem and can't wear slipppers so I would need to be pre warned to bring a change of shoes with me . I would struggle in my bare feet or slippers . If people have an issue maybe they could provide shoe covers

iamwhoiam wrote: »
    In fairness people have shoes to change into in their own home . I have a foot problem and can't wear slipppers so I would need to be pre warned to bring a change of shoes with me . I would struggle in my bare feet or slippers . If people have an issue maybe they could provide shoe covers

I always have sleepers for this reason and they are washed regularly. Of course you could keep your shoes in my house because you have a valid reason.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,296 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

That host aint much of a host.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

odyssey06 wrote: »
    That host aint much of a host.

But why?
    Why is it so important for you to keep your shoes on in other people's home?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,265 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Because there's an insinuation that their shoes are dirty, which could be taken as rude.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,973 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

But why?

Because, in one case, I find their floor too cold. So must they as they wear slippers indoors.
    But, they expect me to take shoes off.

That's hardly welcoming is it?

Because, in one case, I find their floor too cold. So must they as they wear slippers indoors.
    But, they expect me to take shoes off.

That's hardly welcoming is it?

I agree that if you don't want guests with their shoes on then you need to provide for sleepers or shoe cover.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,007 ✭✭✭s7ryf3925pivug

Yeah I "ask".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

You really are making mountains out of molehills there. It’s a pair of shoes, not your trousers.

And would you really not offer to help with the dishes if someone invited you to dinner?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,158 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

I agree that if you don't want guests with their shoes on then you need to provide for sleepers or shoe cover.

Slippers would be better ! If you offer sleepers they might stay the night !!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,603 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

a hospitable sentiment but where do you draw the line? some people draw it at letting people track dog feces and tuberculosis phlegm through their home.

Most people have the good sense not to track dog **** and phlegm though a house on their shoes, because they wouldn't want it on their shoes. In fact, in the vast majority of times all that will get walked in is a little bit of the grit that is on the path outside of the front door. A strategically placed mat sorts that

I wouldn't ask anyone to take their shoes off unless they were obviously filthy, and all reasonable people don't need to be prompted to do that anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 23 Hotcups

It's bloody difficult to get the kids to take their shoes off, so I'm not likely to ask visitors to take theirs off!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

It seems that people living abroad get used to it and then expect Ireland to follow suit. I’d have no problem at all removing my shoes in someone’s house if they asked. I don’t wear shoes in my own house. But it’s not a general cultural expectation in Ireland so I wouldn’t think to remove my shoes in someone else’s house unless asked to.

Irish people who live/lived abroad develop a massive superiority complex.

• Registered Users Posts: 23 Hotcups

Most people have the good sense not to track dog **** and phlegm though a house on their shoes, because they wouldn't want it on their shoes. In fact, in the vast majority of times all that will get walked in is a little bit of the grit that is on the path outside of the front door. A strategically placed mat sorts that

I wouldn't ask anyone to take their shoes off unless they were obviously filthy, and all reasonable people don't need to be prompted to do that anyway.

I remember when my parents got new carpet on the stairs & landing ... my sister's friend walked dog sh!te up the stairs. My mam cried for hours. I was nearly puked trying to clean it up with my dad.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,980 ✭✭✭Lucy8080

Take your shoes off,please!

O.K. ( quietly thinking ffs).

Enters house!

Cat on worktop, or dog running around (who possibly hasn't wiped his feet before entering).

Bites lip.

But why?

Is your floor more important to you than your guests comfort? Seems like it is.

Lots of reaons why someone wouldnt want to be ambushed on entry and ordered to take off shoes. Especially if they need support shoes or have mobility issues or if there is nothing provided to slip into or onto.

A lot of hassle would be avoided if the host shows the guest a range of slippers or hotel slippers on entry and says feel free to kick off your shoes.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

A lot of hassle would be avoided if the host shows the guest a range of slippers or hotel slippers on entry and says feel free to kick off your shoes.

And if the guest says, nah I'm grand thanks?

Patww79 wrote: »
    And if the guest says, nah I'm grand thanks?

Guests prerogative or dont invite them over.

In Ireland it's considered rude to invite someone to your home and as soon as they step in the door you ask them to remove an item of clothing to comply with a house rule that they were unaware of. Granted there are exceptions if you have children who have friends over and they’ve been playing in a field, or if it has been snowing heavily, or if you are unfortunate enough to step in something. However, in Ireland, it rarely snows and how often do you step in dog poo en route to a friends house for dinner? In those instances, if your guest hasn’t noticed then of course it is ok to ask them to remove their shoes but posters who try and use these excuses as reasons to ask guests to remove their shoes are simply taking marginal cases and using it as the broad argument.

To ask adults who you have invited to your home to remove their shoes is both physically cumbersome (balancing on one leg in your hallway trying to untie your shoes) and socially awkward especially if you don't know the person that well, it also creates a bad first impression. What adds further insult to injury, is when the host produces a pair of nasty-ass slippers (which have been worn by God knows how many people) to shuffle around the house in! The hosts concern for keeping their floors clean does not outweigh my concern for a fungal infection or a verruca.

In Ireland, people don't expect to be asked to remove their shoes in any home or establishment so you're immediately making your guests feel uncomfortable and they will be less likely to enjoy their visit. I never go back to a home where I'm asked to remove my shoes. You're also leaving yourself open to scrutiny and judgement because unless your home is immaculate i.e. no cats, no dogs, no pets, clean floors all toys put away and no clutter then the glaring contradiction of being asked to remove your shoes versus the kids toys piled up and crammed in any available cupboard will be the topic of conversation on the way home in the car.

Is your floor more important to you than your guests comfort? Seems like it is.

Lots of reaons why someone wouldnt want to be ambushed on entry and ordered to take off shoes. Especially if they need support shoes or have mobility issues or if there is nothing provided to slip into or onto.

I provide sleepers and if they have support shoes they can obviously keep them on.
    My floor more important than guest comfort? No but I assume keeping shoes is not so comfortable since majority of people remove them when they are at home. So please, be my guest. Make yourself comfortable and use the sleepers provided.

I provide sleepers and if they have support shoes they can obviously keep them on.
    My floor more important than guest comfort? No but I assume keeping shoes is not so comfortable since majority of people remove them when they are at home. So please, be my guest. Make yourself comfortable and use the sleepers provided.

Nobody wants to wear those manky things.

Based on my anecdotal observations, in families who have a shoes off rule I notice that either one or both spouses tend not to have been born or raised in Ireland, one of the kids will either be a coeliac or have a nut allergy, usually diagnosed by the parents. If they have kids in school the parents all over the teachers wrecking their heads about the syllabus and how homework is bad for kids and look at the way kids are taught in Finland. Their conversations revolve around how things are work better back home and then at some stage during the evening while you sit there with in their cluttered home with all these intrinsic toys and board games to make their kids more intelligent, with no heating, in your bare feet because you don’t want to wear the nasty second hand totes they offered you, they comment on how Irish people are friendly but that it’s difficult to make real friends…

• Closed Accounts Posts: 49 DaverageJoe

Shoes off people are the same people who have the "good room" with plastic covered chairs that's reserved to pretend their posh when the priest visits.

• Registered Users Posts: 779 ✭✭✭no.8

In Ireland this, in Ireland that. There is no in 'In Ireland' nonsense. I'm Irish and I consider it rude to rub filty shoes (and whatever the hell is on them) into the new carpets.

I don't care if it offends, its my home. The amount if dog poo lying about is reducing but still a long way off tolerable.

• Registered Users Posts: 779 ✭✭✭no.8

odyssey06 wrote:

Very true. This works well

• Advertisement

Based on my anecdotal observations, in families who have a shoes off rule I notice that either one or both spouses tend not to have been born or raised in Ireland

BOOO!!! Hisssss!!!

Advertisement