Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Shoes off.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,482 ✭✭✭Gimme A Pound

Any apartment-dwellers here? Can you hear your neighbors walk around upstairs, or did you luck out and get people who take their shoes off?
    Me. They couldn't just be doing normal walking though. They are obviously trying to put their feet through the floor while wearing shoes made of concrete.

Only a car park below my place but I actually try to remember to put on slippers as much as possible. Not because my shoes are dirty, but because they're harder on the wooden floors. I don't expect others to though, and I often forget to change into slippers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,967 ✭✭✭Liamalone

Get them aff ye.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

In the history of humanity, wearing shoes has always been a symbol of power / authority.

Not wearing shoes is a sign of submission / innocence.

I can totally understand somebody not feeling comfortable removing their shoes so I would never request it of anyone.

When I have guests, I want THEM to feel at ease and at home.

If that's the sort of stuff you think about when visiting peoples houses then maybe having friends isnt for you.

Seriously. Everything isnt a battle. Do you keep your suit of armour on too?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,967 ✭✭✭Liamalone

Get them aff I said ffs!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

In Ireland it's considered rude

sorry now but who made you the arbiter of what is and isn't considered rude for a whole country?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,489 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

of all of the topics ive seen be the subject of internet hardmanning, "i take my shoes off for no man" has to be the strangest
    I would take my shoes off but fair bit of internet hardmanning from the other "side" too. Having to remove non dirty shoes in a home with no carpets or toddlers and be in your socks like a child is bad enough but some of the accompanying attitudes are even worse.

The internet is the only place I encounter it though - despite the pretence that it's really commonplace in this country among Irish people. It really really isn't.

Yeah but inspecting every pair of shoes for dirt before giving the wearer a pass is hardly going to work..

Surely simpler to just ask everyone to remove their shoes..

However you are running a risk given the state of some people's hygiene.. I'd prefer to clean up footprints than inhale someone's rancid foot odours.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,489 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

If that's the sort of stuff you think about when visiting peoples houses then maybe having friends isnt for you.

Seriously. Everything isnt a battle. Do you keep your suit of armour on too?

First time I have ever read that not wearing shoes was a sign of submission..

That lad just exist in a permanent state of battle readiness

In Ireland, its actually quite common that people hate feet... like a lot.
    I have a friend that would actually be a bit grossed out if you took your shoes off in her house.
    She wouldn't say anything, but you'd see the uneasiness in her face at the sight of an unshod foot.

In Ireland, its actually quite common that people hate feet... like a lot.
    In Ireland eh? Literally never heard of this in my life

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,164 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

There is something wrong with the poll results imo.
    I'm in all sorts of homes on a daily basis, from rented studio apartments to homes worth several million & I'm not seeing anywhere near 16% no shoe policy

I can only speak for Dublin but the real percentage in my experience for shoes off policy is less than 3%. I base this on visiting around 1000 homes per year. We would be asked to remove our shoes less than a half of a percent of the time. There are less than 3% would have shoes at the bottom of the stairs or near the front door. Less than 3% are wearing indoor slippers or shoes as they bring us up the stairs. I would expect more pretentious people living in Dublin so I'd expect an even lower rate of shoes off policy outside of Dublin

What is skewing the poll so much? Are there people voting who might aspire to have such rules when they eventually get their own place to live? Are there more shoes off homes outside of Dublin than inside? Are there more younger members than older members on boards? I've never been asked to remove shoes by anyone over 50 years of age & I've never ever been in a house where the owners would be getting close to 60 with any hint of no shoes in the house rule.

about 17% of the population were born outside the state

Sleeper12 wrote: »
    I'm in all sorts of homes on a daily basis, from rented studio apartments to homes worth several million & I'm not seeing anywhere near 16% no shoe policy

I can only speak for Dublin but the real percentage in my experience for shoes off policy is less than 3%. I base this on visiting around 1000 homes per year. We would be asked to remove our shoes less than a half of a percent of the time. There are less than 3% would have shoes at the bottom of the stairs or near the front door. Less than 3% are wearing indoor slippers or shoes as they bring us up the stairs. I would expect more pretentious people living in Dublin so I'd expect an even lower rate of shoes off policy outside of Dublin

What is skewing the poll so much? Are there people voting who might aspire to have such rules when they eventually get their own place to live? Are there more shoes off homes outside of Dublin than inside? Are there more younger members than older members on boards? I've never been asked to remove shoes by anyone over 50 years of age & I've never ever been in a house where the owners would be getting close to 60 with any hint of no shoes in the house rule.

Ha ha. Pretentious again. Lads, it’s not pretentious to want people to leave dirt/grime/faeces and all they contain somewhere other than on the floors of their well kept homes. Grit and stones will scratch real wood floors and who wants to cleaning dirt out of carpets and rugs when the simple solution is to leave it on the soles of the shoes at the front door?

It’s ignorant carry-on. You wash your hands when you use the toilet. You put your rubbish in the bin. You cover your mouth when you cough and use a tissue to blow your nose. You don’t spit on the street like a scumbag.

So take your shoes off at the door. You might have to deal with your substandard hygiene if you don’t actually wash your feet daily and wear decent, clean socks. But those things are up to you to prepare and are not good reasons to be traipsing dirt into someone elses home.

Totally irrelevant. We all learn our good manners. Or how to be dirty scruffbags.

This doesn't explain 16% of board members voted for a no shoe policy yet in the real world the percentage is way, way lower. I think it more an age thing. There are far less older board members that younger members

This doesn't explain 16% of board members voted for a no shoe policy yet in the real world the percentage is way, way lower. I think it more an age thing. There are far less older board members that younger members

Your anecdotal obsevations are statistically irrelevant.

I visit 1500+ homes a year. I’d say it’s 80%+ that welcome the act or at minimum offer to remove my ‘street’ footwear. May or may not be true.

See?

• Advertisement

JayZeus wrote: »
    Your anecdotal obsevations are statistically irrelevant.

I visit 1500+ homes a year. I’d say it’s 80%+ that welcome the act or at minimum offer to remove my ‘street’ footwear. May or may not be true.

See?
    I haven't a clue what you just said there???

Are you saying that you offer to remove your shoes in 1500 homes per year?? or are you just making something up?

Your statement makes no sense

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,161 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

Your obsession with my non-obsession has been noted already.

I don’t expect everyone to share my view. However, in my home (and an ever increasing number of others), removing your footwear at the door is a reasonable expectation of the host and should be respected as their absolute decision to make.

You can decide for your own home whether to adopt the same practice, or not. Your home, your rules. My home, my rules.

Do you see a difference at all between arriving to your home having traipsed through fields and muck or through snow or puddles or arriving from a parked car and walking three steps to your door on a clean path ? Then not all shoes are a huge threat to you or yours , we survived for years when far from taking off shoes we were reared .

iamwhoiam wrote: »
    Do you see a difference at all between arriving to your home having traipsed through fields and muck or through snow or puddles or arriving from a parked car and walking three steps to your door on a clean path ? Then not all shoes are a huge threat to you or yours , we survived for years when far from taking off shoes we were reared .

Here's the thing, if we don't come into contact with bacteria then we build up no immunity to it. It's like bacterial soap, health professionals recommend that you don't use it all of the time. It actually becomes harmful, particularly with children. I understand the argument of walking through fields & taking off muddy boots but I agree with you, there is a huge difference between muddy fields & walking from the office to the car & from the car to the home.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,482 ✭✭✭Gimme A Pound

iamwhoiam wrote: »
    No point. In their last post they said "it's ignorant carry-on" in relation to not removing shoes. They will keep telling themselves that all shoes are covered in shyte no matter what.

"Ignorant" not to remove shoes even if not a speck on them. Loopy stuff.

Here's the thing, if we don't come into contact with bacteria then we build up no immunity to it. It's like bacterial soap, health professionals recommend that you don't use it all of the time. It actually becomes harmful, particularly with children. I understand the argument of walking through fields & taking off muddy boots but I agree with you, there is a huge difference between muddy fields & walking from the office to the car & from the car to the home.

I absolutely agree , babies and toddlers need to build immunity and the over use of bleach etc is slowing this proceedure down .

• Advertisement

Same for me. I'm 33 years old and have never been asked to remove shoes by anybody.
    Its just not the done thing among my family and friends. (Mainly people from Dublin)

84% does still show how uncommon it is though.

I assume the 16% is made up of non Irish and the small minority of irish that would expect it.

Same for me. I'm 33 years old and have never been asked to remove shoes by anybody.
    Its just not the done thing among my family and friends. (Mainly people from Dublin)

84% does still show how uncommon it is though.

I assume the 16% is made up of non Irish and the small minority of irish that would expect it.

I am in "non Irish" homes too. I'm including these homes when I say the true figure in Dublin is below 3%

The vast majority of "non Irish" homes don't have a shoe policy at all. The few that do tend to be Pakistani/ Indian. These make up a tiny part of the "non Irish".

Some homes have a no shoes upstairs policy for family

The 16% are probably people like me who have left and live in a country where it's the norm.

The 16% are probably people like me who have left and live in a country where it's the norm.

That actually makes a lot of sense. It's the first time I've really disagreed with poll results because facts are facts. 16% is miles from what I see. I doubt 16% of "non Irish" living in Dublin have a no shoe policy let alone home grown Irish.

Thanks for posting that. :)

I am in "non Irish" homes too. I'm including these homes when I say the true figure in Dublin is below 3%

The vast majority of "non Irish" homes don't have a shoe policy at all. The few that do tend to be Pakistani/ Indian. These make up a tiny part of the "non Irish".

Some homes have a no shoes upstairs policy for family

There are a lot of Scandinavians in Ireland and its a major part of their culture.

In fact, I managed a lot of these people in my work and we had to work hard to enforce policies to ensure that they wore shoes in the workplace.

It wasn't uncommon to see a person walking through the corridor in socks.
    We really had to enforce the dress code policy to ensure shoes were worn.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,145 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

It wasn't uncommon to see a person walking through the corridor in socks. We really had to enforce the dress code policy to ensure shoes were worn.

We re a funny ould race, was this done on health and safety grounds in the working environment?

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    We re a funny ould race, was this done on health and safety grounds in the working environment?

It defiantly falls under health & safety. If anything falls & breaks a toe the company is liable

Sleeper12 wrote:
    It defiantly falls under health & safety. If anything falls & breaks a toe the company is liable

Depends on the working environment in my opinion, I'd have no problems with it in a relatively safe working space, sandals would be my preferred foot wear

Wanderer78 wrote:
    Depends on the working environment in my opinion, I'd have no problems with it in a relatively safe working space, sandals would be my preferred foot wear

At home I'm bare feet all of the time. I've never liked the feeling of shoes & socks.

Wanderer78 wrote: »

Yeah it was mainly a health and safety thing. Although it was just a standard office environment, there are still plenty of risks. Objects can fall and the company would be liable etc

However, I think it was only really enforced as certain people didn't like how it looked.

• Advertisement

Yeah it was mainly a health and safety thing. Although it was just a standard office environment, there are still plenty of risks. Objects can fall and the company would be liable etc

However, I think it was only really enforced as certain people didn't like how it looked.

its an understandable concern, but are our legal and insurance systems being used for wrong purposes?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

That was probably it; health & safety my hole.
    Health and safety regs only require protective footwear in specific jobs/industries. They don't require people in offices to wear shoes.

seamus wrote: »
    Health and safety regs only require protective footwear in specific jobs/industries. They don't require people in offices to wear shoes.

Maybe not but dress code would probably mean that shoes are part of the office wear

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Absolutely, but a lot of places nowadays have no real dress code. Unless you work somewhere that you may encounter clients or the public image of the company is important, then companies have started abandoning the idea that someone needs to wear a shirt and tie to answer the phones all day.

seamus wrote: »

It was one of those situations were the company did have a dress code policy and health & safety guidelines.

As a line manager, its not something that I would have ever actively enforced.

However, people did make complaints and pressure came from above to enforce the handbook policies.

So health & safety and dress code was the official stance but really I think it was more of a case that some people just didn't like it for whatever reason(s).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

I suspect it's a lot easier to enforce shoes on policy than deal with people who have less than desirable hygiene habits and walk around without shoes. I don't think it's unreasonable to expect people to wear shoes at work.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,731 ✭✭✭jam_mac_jam

Yeah its really not appropriate in work, unless you are in Japan.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,043 ✭✭✭Wabbit Ears

we take our shoes off at home as my wife is Polish and we just got used to it as its normal for her. We dont enforce it for anyone but have found that a lot of the kids who come in take off their shoes when they notice everybody else isn't wearing them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,513 ✭✭✭✭blade1

House Owner should just wear these.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,149 ✭✭✭Ariadne

As an aside, on the whole hygiene thing regarding shoes in the house. I have an ex with a foot/shoe fetish and he loved licking my shoes, so there you go germophobes :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

we take our shoes off at home as my wife is Polish and we just got used to it as its normal for her. We dont enforce it for anyone but have found that a lot of the kids who come in take off their shoes when they notice everybody else isn't wearing them.

best way of teaching is always by quiet example... ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,913 ✭✭✭v638sg7k1a92bx

Nobody gets past the mat inside our front door without taking their shoes off. Anyone who would have a problem doing so (I’ve never had to ask the people we’d have in our home) would be seen as being downright disrespectful and would be invited to leave as soon as they’d arrived.

Interesting. Invite someone to your home insist they take their shoes off or they will be told to leave? You don't find that disrespectful?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,913 ✭✭✭v638sg7k1a92bx

of all of the topics ive seen be the subject of internet hardmanning, "i take my shoes off for no man" has to be the strangest

I think the "hardmanning" is coming from the shoes off advocates. Take your shoes off or get out of my house???

It's generally accepted that most homes in Ireland do not have a shoes off policy. With that in mind, do you not think that when you are inviting someone to your home that you don't ask them to remove their shoes considering that it's not the cultural norm in this country or at least let them know in advance to give them the opportunity to decline your invitation or at least be prepared rather than ambush them at the front door and ask them to perform the circus act of balancing on one foot with alongside three other people in your front porch?

It's just not the done thing in this country. Why do advocates of shoes off have such a hard time accepting this part of Irish culture but in the same breathe will tell us how it is the culture in other countries and therefore needs to be respected?

Succubus_ wrote: »
    As an aside, on the whole hygiene thing regarding shoes in the house. I have an ex with a foot/shoe fetish and he loved licking my shoes, so there you go germophobes :p

I know we're all meant to be tolerant of peoples fetishes as long as they don't harm anyone, but licking peoples shoes?

Icky :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,057 ✭✭✭.......

I dont think its ever happened me personally. I probably wouldnt go in if I had to remove my shoes unexpectedly at someones front door but during the snow I used to bring indoor shoes with me if I was going to someones house, so if I knew in advance itd be fine.

I dont go without shoes at home, my feet get cold and also, my arches get sore if I walk about on hard floors with no support so the only time I am ever barefoot in the house is if I am walking from the bed to the loo during the night or in and out of the shower.

It happened my husband twice - once was a party in a friends parents house, himself and the gf were asked to remove shoes upon arrival. They did, but she was wearing an "outfit" and wasnt happy to be going about in her tights sliding about on the wooden floors so they left after a short while. Some years later he called to the friends house and at the front door he was asked to remove his shoes. He declined and left without going in.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,768 ✭✭✭Floppybits

Ugh I dont know what is worse some smellly footed person sticking up the house with the smell of their feet or someone walking in a bit of dirt on their shoes?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Wars have started over issues like this... ;):eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,822 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

Floppybits wrote: »
    Ugh I dont know what is worse some smellly footed person sticking up the house with the smell of their feet or someone walking in a bit of dirt on their shoes?

Ever have to clear half the contents of a Yellow Labrador’s guts off your carpet.

Pong lingers for some time, I can advise you.

Fcuker must have taken a feed of ‘blown Chum’

Terrible stuff.

Interesting. Invite someone to your home insist they take their shoes off or they will be told to leave? You don't find that disrespectful?

Not at all, no.

If I don’t wear outdoor shoes in my home, nobody else should feel entitled to do so.

People with clean feet and socks have no reason to object. With underfloor heating and rugs underfoot in the seated areas of the house, there’s no good reason to object. None.

But if you have poor hygiene, stinking feet or socks that are fit for the bin, then I can understand the problem. You’re still not walking in to my house wearing your shoes and if you’re a scruffbag with smelly feet, there’s every chance I’ll pass remark about it. Wash, wear clean socks and take your shoes off, or you can bugger off and whinge about the ‘pretentious’ whatever.

Saying it like it is lads.

Not at all, no.

If I don’t wear outdoor shoes in my home, nobody else should feel entitled to do so.

People with clean feet and socks have no reason to object. With underfloor heating and rugs underfoot in the seated areas of the house, there’s no good reason to object. None.

But if you have poor hygiene, stinking feet or socks that are fit for the bin, then I can understand the problem. You’re still not walking in to my house wearing your shoes and if you’re a scruffbag with smelly feet, there’s every chance I’ll pass remark about it. Wash, wear clean socks and take your shoes off, or you can bugger off and whinge about the ‘pretentious’ whatever.

Saying it like it is lads.

Do you text all that to anyone who might visit you ? Just wondering ?

• Advertisement
Advertisement