Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Shoes off.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,295 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

JayZeus wrote: »
    Not at all, no.

If I don’t wear outdoor shoes in my home, nobody else should feel entitled to do so.

People with clean feet and socks have no reason to object. With underfloor heating and rugs underfoot in the seated areas of the house, there’s no good reason to object. None.

But if you have poor hygiene, stinking feet or socks that are fit for the bin, then I can understand the problem. You’re still not walking in to my house wearing your shoes and if you’re a scruffbag with smelly feet, there’s every chance I’ll pass remark about it. Wash, wear clean socks and take your shoes off, or you can bugger off and whinge about the ‘pretentious’ whatever.

Saying it like it is lads.

You need a better class of visitor.
    One with nice shoes!

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,482 ✭✭✭Gimme A Pound

Saying it like it is? No, expressing *your* opinion.

And while you may deny it, doesn't change that it is ocd and stuck up and irrational - over floors. Just floors.

But yeah if it's just a case of "I don't wear shoes indoors, therefore nobody else should" - ok, but don't pretend that every shoe is covered in sh1t or will leave every floor destroyed because you know that's a lie. And if you're going to post about it, don't get in a strop with people reacting to it and viewing it as weirdly hostile and aggressive. As it's a public forum, people will discuss.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,524 ✭✭✭the_pen_turner

Not at all, no.

If I don’t wear outdoor shoes in my home, nobody else should feel entitled to do so.

People with clean feet and socks have no reason to object. With underfloor heating and rugs underfoot in the seated areas of the house, there’s no good reason to object. None.

But if you have poor hygiene, stinking feet or socks that are fit for the bin, then I can understand the problem. You’re still not walking in to my house wearing your shoes and if you’re a scruffbag with smelly feet, there’s every chance I’ll pass remark about it. Wash, wear clean socks and take your shoes off, or you can bugger off and whinge about the ‘pretentious’ whatever.

of coures they have something to object about. they have clean feet and socks. they are kept clean by wearing shoes . surely they dont want to be rubbing them across your dirty floor (all floors are dirty).

My home, my rules. Same rules for all. No discrimination. No shoes.

That’s how it is beyond my front door. You decide what’s okay in your home.

It’s not OCD, it’s a simple decision to save wear and tear and cleaning up dirt dragged in needlessly. Less time and expense on that leaves more for things we’d prefer to do.

It’s probably a waste of time trying to explain it though. I grew up in a normal house in Dublin in a working class family. My mother needed a clean house as she sewed expensive fabrics for customers. After a few years of living with a few others in a house share and seeing the extra work required, the only sensible thing to do was to kick off the shoes at the front door.

We don’t have pets, kids and we don’t live on a farm. I work in an office, I live near a city and we have a home that’s very low maintenance. Why should I even consider having to clean up after or accept the risk of damage to nice (expensive) polished hardwood floors, just because someone feels entitled to treat my home with less thought than I would theirs?

• Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭defrule

I’d say if you compare a carpet that has years worth of shoes trampling over it will be far more soiled than a carpet that’s only stepped on by feet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,295 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

It’s not OCD, it’s a simple decision to save wear and tear and cleaning up dirt dragged in needlessly. Less time and expense on that leaves more for things we’d prefer to do.

It’s probably a waste of time trying to explain it though. I grew up in a normal house in Dublin in a working class family. My mother needed a clean house as she sewed expensive fabrics for customers. After a few years of living with a few others in a house share and seeing the extra work required, the only sensible thing to do was to kick off the shoes at the front door.

We don’t have pets, kids and we don’t live on a farm. I work in an office, I live near a city and we have a home that’s very low maintenance. Why should I even consider having to clean up after or accept the risk of damage to nice (expensive) polished hardwood floors, just because someone feels entitled to treat my home with less thought than I would theirs?

It's obvious where people come in your priorities versus your precious floors.
    I suppose if you had a visiting 80 year old with mobility issues you'd be demanding them crumple over to take off their shoes.

Lots of people grew up in Dublin in a 'normal' house, whatever that means, and wore shoes. The house and carpets didn't get wrecked.
    I'm guessing you don't even serve any visitors food in case you have to clean up after them! Imagine the horror of a crumb falling on the carpet!

It's nothing to do with less thought. There can be no reasonable expectation of the level of entitlement you attach to a clean floor which seems to leave no leftover thoughts for your fellow people.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,158 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

odyssey06 wrote: »
    It's obvious where people come in your priorities versus your precious floors.
    I suppose if you had a visiting 80 year old with mobility issues you'd be demanding them crumple over to take off their shoes.

Lots of people grew up in Dublin in a 'normal' house, whatever that means, and wore shoes. The house and carpets didn't get wrecked.
    I'm guessing you don't even serve any visitors food in case you have to clean up after them! Imagine the horror of a crumb falling on the carpet!

It's nothing to do with less thought. There can be no reasonable expectation of the level of entitlement you attach to a clean floor which seems to leave no leftover thoughts for your fellow people.

Not only did the carpets not get wrecked but we all survived intact ! And actually had friends who were welcomed into our homes as they came

defrule wrote: »
    I’d say if you compare a carpet that has years worth of shoes trampling over it will be far more soiled than a carpet that’s only stepped on by feet.

Probably , but at least our friends and family feel welcome

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

I don't agree with JayZeus's attitude and I think it's rude. But carpets that are walked on a lot with outside shoes are really not something I would want to see in my house. They are usually manky.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,657 ✭✭✭somefeen

Any time I've been asked to take my shoes off in someone's house I've never felt unwelcome.

Its just what they do. Shoes are dirty some people don't want them all over the house. Not a big deal. Why are people so sensitive that being asked to take off their shoes is a massive insult?

• Advertisement

somefeen wrote: »
    Any time I've been asked to take my shoes off in someone's house I've never felt unwelcome.

Its just what they do. Shoes are dirty some people don't want them all over the house. Not a big deal. Why are people so sensitive that being asked to take off their shoes is a massive insult?

Because some folks just like to take offence, especially when it involves being situations that remind them they can't just do whatever they like, wherever they like.

For the vast majority of people, taking your shoes off when you enter someones home for a visit and putting them on as you're leaving should be no problem at all, certainly in terms of the physical effort. Unless they're perhaps very fat and their bulk makes it a struggle (in which case the issue with shoe removal is a symptom of their own larger problem and hardly mine), so physically inflexible they need a shoe horn (there's one hanging conveniently inside our front door, and maybe some exercise would help in future), they need to sit as they can't balance or whatever (two chairs, right inside the door).... Or we're back to just not caring enough to make the effort and show respect for their hosts home. You can't keep picking up the statistical outliers, like a disabled 80 year old, to support argument against this requirement.

I put my feet up on the coffee table at home. My coffee table, in my home. I wouldn't even consider being so rude as to do so when visiting someone elses.

Basic manners. I'm not for a moment telling anyone what they should do in their own homes, just pointing out as someone who insists on no outdoor shoes in my home that it's entirely up to me to decide. I have good reasons in my opinion, and when it comes to what's acceptable behaviour in my own home, that's the only thing that matters.

You'd swear you were being told you had to bring gifts, decontaminate yourself in a chemical wash on the way in and not touch any of the white surfaces lads. Kick off your shoes at the door in a home where the owners do so. They might say it's alright, but the decent and respectful thing to do is to tell them it's no problem and remove them.

It's up to you to keep your feet clean and put on fresh socks each day. I have little doubt that there are some scruffbags would be mortified at having to take their shoes off when visiting someone for the simple reason they haven't done so.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,913 ✭✭✭v638sg7k1a92bx

Not at all, no.

Because some folks just like to take offence, especially when it involves being situations that remind them they can't just do whatever they like, wherever they like.

For the vast majority of people, taking your shoes off when you enter someones home for a visit and putting them on as you're leaving should be no problem at all, certainly in terms of the physical effort. Unless they're perhaps very fat and their bulk makes it a struggle (in which case the issue with shoe removal is a symptom of their own larger problem and hardly mine), so physically inflexible they need a shoe horn (there's one hanging conveniently inside our front door, and maybe some exercise would help in future), they need to sit as they can't balance or whatever (two chairs, right inside the door).... Or we're back to just not caring enough to make the effort and show respect for their hosts home. You can't keep picking up the statistical outliers, like a disabled 80 year old, to support argument against this requirement.

I put my feet up on the coffee table at home. My coffee table, in my home. I wouldn't even consider being so rude as to do so when visiting someone elses.

Basic manners. I'm not for a moment telling anyone what they should do in their own homes, just pointing out as someone who insists on no outdoor shoes in my home that it's entirely up to me to decide. I have good reasons in my opinion, and when it comes to what's acceptable behaviour in my own home, that's the only thing that matters.

You'd swear you were being told you had to bring gifts, decontaminate yourself in a chemical wash on the way in and not touch any of the white surfaces lads. Kick off your shoes at the door in a home where the owners do so. They might say it's alright, but the decent and respectful thing to do is to tell them it's no problem and remove them.

It's up to you to keep your feet clean and put on fresh socks each day. I have little doubt that there are some scruffbags would be mortified at having to take their shoes off when visiting someone for the simple reason they haven't done so.

The irony seems to be lost on you when describing others as being entitled while your posts are riddled with "my home, my rules, my coffee table". You also mention rudeness and bad manners but you seem to forget that you are the one inviting people in "your home" and it is considered good manners and incumbent on the host to accommodate the guest and not the other way around. By your logic of "my home my rules", it would be reasonable for someone to have a house rule that all guests must strip down to their jocks when they arrive in case they sat in chewing gum on the way over and God forbid it gets on the couch and anyone who has a problem with it is entitled and rude.

You also mention statistical outliers but what appears to be completely lost on you is that you are the statistical outlier as borne out by the comments and poll on this thread not to mention Irish culture in general. A statistical outlier would be someobody on their way to a friends house who traipsed through a field, stepped in dog poo, stopped off at a public toilet and then trampled all around you house without realising their shoes were covered in crap.

Shoes off...…………..for the Boys in Green.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭The Pheasant2

Wouldn't be "offended" to be asked to remove my shoes, but I would regard the host as uptight.

The irony seems to be lost on you when describing others as being entitled while your posts are riddled with "my home, my rules, my coffee table". You also mention rudeness and bad manners but you seem to forget that you are the one inviting people in "your home" and it is considered good manners and incumbent on the host to accommodate the guest and not the other way around. ....

Again, none of that matters. In my home, you take of your shoes at the door. No excuses, no arguments. If you won't do so, you're not welcome to stay, to be blunt. Don't care who you are and don't care if it offends your sensibilities.

In fairness people are entitled to have some rules for guests. Many for example would be very uncomfortable with someone smoking in their house.

With a dog and husband who are both pretty oblivious to the dirt they drag into the house (kids are not half as bad) I'm the last person to ask people to take off their shoes. But I know from experience how much cleaner the floor is when slippers are used and saving on cleaning time is as good reason as any. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,825 ✭✭✭LirW

I talked about that with my mother a few days ago, telling her that many Irish people wear their shoes inside.
    She raised a good point: there are plenty of people that are embarrassed of their feet. Be it simply having very sweaty feet (a lot of people do and it is something to be embarrassed about for many) or don't care too much about the state of their socks as in them being mismatched or having holes or both.
    These people would be thrown off by asking them to take their shoes off because it could lead to embarrassment.

Not saying everyone on here has excessively sweaty feet but I could imagine that's part of the reason why some are so against taking them off; good old awkwardness.

There are two convincing arguments, one from each side; "Your floor is not as important as my comfort." and "Your shoes are not as important as my rules."

I'm swayed by living with the latter for eight years and finding it much better. When friends are over, I find it more relaxing when everyone is in their socks. Part of a facade is left at the door.

I don't like it because of cleanliness but it's an added benefit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,913 ✭✭✭v638sg7k1a92bx

There are two convincing arguments, one from each side; "Your floor is not as important as my comfort." and "Your shoes are not as important as my rules."

I'm swayed by living with the latter for eight years and finding it much better. When friends are over, I find it more relaxing when everyone is in their socks. Part of a facade is left at the door.

I don't like it because of cleanliness but it's an added benefit.

Ah yes, the facade people put on when they wear shoes. How about the facade in your posts lol...

• Advertisement

How about the facade in your posts lol...

What does that even mean?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,492 ✭✭✭pleas advice

We all wear masks, some in the way they post, some wear them on thier feet...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭ShyMets

I can understand people having a shoes off rule. I don't wear shoes in my house but I don't ask people to do so.

You seem very rigid when it comes to Shoes off. That's fine. Your house, your rules.

I assume if someone was visiting who was frail or needed to wear shoes for medical purposes, you'd make an exception

LirW wrote: »
    I talked about that with my mother a few days ago, telling her that many Irish people wear their shoes inside.
    She raised a good point: there are plenty of people that are embarrassed of their feet. Be it simply having very sweaty feet (a lot of people do and it is something to be embarrassed about for many) or don't care too much about the state of their socks as in them being mismatched or having holes or both.
    These people would be thrown off by asking them to take their shoes off because it could lead to embarrassment.

Not saying everyone on here has excessively sweaty feet but I could imagine that's part of the reason why some are so against taking them off; good old awkwardness.

In all fairness I think if we all knew and were prepared to take them off it would be easier . I posted earlier that its the norm in BC Canada to take them off for very practical reasons . Now when I was invited over to family there we were asked to bring something comfortable to wear indoors only , be that clean shoes or slippers or sandals was absolutely fine by them . They have deep snow and leave their boots on a drip tray when they come in and do so all year round too . My point being if it was the norm and people were prepared some might prefer to have spare sippers or clean sandals or slip on flip flops with them . But to be at the door and unprepared is off putting for some because they are unsure and ill prepared .
    I visited a few houses in BC and I was ready with a pair of soft slip on beach shoes to change into and therin lies the key I think .If it norm we would be prepared and not taken on the hop .

My personal belief is that if you want people to take off their shoes you have to offer slippers. Some will decline but you have to offer something especially if there is no underfloor heating.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭Heat_Wave

meeeeh wrote: »
    My personal belief is that if you want people to take off their shoes you have to offer slippers. Some will decline but you have to offer something especially if there is no underfloor heating.

Lol

• Advertisement

Heat_Wave wrote: »
    Lol

Why laugh at someones personal believe ? Any house I went into who prefer no shoes had a few clean socks with rubber strips under them to offer ?

iamwhoiam wrote: »
    Why laugh at someones personal believe ? Any house I went into who prefer no shoes had a few clean socks with rubber strips under them to offer ?

Is that not exceptionally OTT? And to expect a house to have underfloor heating?

Btw the "lol" wasn't meant to be offensive. The post actually made me smile.

Is that not exceptionally OTT? And to expect a house to have underfloor heating?

Having socks to offer is OTT ? No its just the way of life in Canada to ask people to take off shoes and have a few socks washed and available to wear.I think thats the huge difference as they are prepared for pop in visitors and its not like a random person in Ireland asking you to take of your shoes out of the blue !

• Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 5,843 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quackster

meeeeh wrote: »

This 110%. In a country where (in my experience) the vast majority of folk wear their outdoor footwear inside their homes, it is rather inconsiderate to expect invited guests to have to walk around your house in socks, without prior warning.

Fair enough maybe if they're regular visitors who know the score and are happy in socks or bring clean footwear to change into, but if you surprise guests with the rule at the front door and don't offer slippers etc, then that's just plain rude.

Having socks to offer is OTT ? No its just the way of life in Canada to ask people to take off shoes and have a few socks washed and available to wear.I think thats the huge difference as they are prepared for pop in visitors and its not like a random person in Ireland asking you to take of your shoes out of the blue !

So guests have to wear second hand socks worn by others (cleaned I know). Is this not a bit gross? I wouldn't wear someone else's socks.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 5,843 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quackster

So guests have to wear second hand socks worn by others (cleaned I know). Is this not a bit gross? I wouldn't wear someone else's socks.

Not a requirement, just an option for people uncomfortable walking around the house in their normal socks which have absolutely no grip (not the best idea on potentially slippery surfaces).

Washed socks is gross as you wear them over your own socks ? ? No , can't say I agree ! But of course its only an option as most people there bring their own change of footwear

Washed socks is gross as you wear them over your own socks ? ? No , can't say I agree ! But of course its only an option as most people there bring their own change of footwear

Ah, you put these socks over your own socks? I don't see anything wrong with that

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 991 ✭✭✭The Crowman

Its a bit weird TBH.

I don't expect every house to have underfloor heating but if it doesn't a lot of people will be cold without something on their feet. As I say I come from country where shoes off is quite common. However everyone would offer you simple slip on slippers. (Btw I don't think continent has the same love affair with carpets as UK and Ireland and wooden or tiled floor can be very cold so slippers or some other indoor shoes are a must).

How would you feel if your visitor took out a pair of socks and changed them before putting back on their shoes. They would be telling you that your floors are dirty.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,157 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

Quackster wrote:
    This 110%. In a country where (in my experience) the vast majority of folk wear their outdoor footwear inside their homes, it is rather inconsiderate to expect invited guests to have to walk around your house in socks, without prior warning.

Prior warning is very important here. Can you imagine asking someone to remove their shoes & they have a big hole in them. Big toe sticking out. Or clean but very old, once white socks now dull grey.

I also wonder how people would feel if their guest doesn't wear socks at all. Do you want verruca infested feet walking on floors your children play on?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,088 ✭✭✭Reputable Rog

When I was living in LA I was invited to a party at Jakes Way the home of an aquantance from the Country Club of which I was a member
    When we arrived at the house, Gill our host asked us to remove our shoes, rule brought in by wife.
    I declined and could see throughout the evening that his wife was fuming.
    Unfortunately for me I knocked over a glass lamp which smashed everywhere and she freaked out and threw my wife and I out.
    The hilarious thing about it is that Gill was an ex porn star so a bit of dirt on the floor was the least of her worries.
    Oh how I miss LA.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,291 ✭✭✭lbc2019

Shoes on in my house, my SIL is very neat, I take off my shoes before entering her sitting room, not requested but I'd hate to dirty her immaculate carpet

• Closed Accounts Posts: 796 ✭✭✭Sycamore Tree

Irish people that ask other Irish people to remove their shoes in the house are plain weird or have notions. Simple as that.

• Advertisement

somefeen wrote: »

Shoes aren't always dirty though - this lie keeps being resorted to. I don't think anyone would object to someone wearing mucky shoes being asked to take their shoes off at any front or back door. They shouldn't have to be asked to actually.

For clean shoes though, carpet cleanliness is about the only argument I get - but I still think it's OTT because clean shoes will not dirty the carpet, which has to be cleaned and regularly hoovered anyway. Grew up in houses with just carpets and they were not dirty. My parents still have some carpets - not dirty. Because people wipe their feet on the mat or remove shoes that actually have muck on them.

My own floors are wooden and tiled and there isn't a speck on them because of shoes. This talk of a floor being destroyed just because a person wore their shoes on it is pathetic bullsh1t - and I'll be washing, sweeping and hoovering those floors either way. Also, footpaths are not all covered in sh1t and other debris. Most aren't anything like that.

It's the attitude and dishonesty and rudeness here that gets people.

My own floors are wooden and tiled and there isn't a speck on them because of shoes. This talk of a floor being destroyed just because a person wore their shoes on it is pathetic bullsh1t - and I'll be washing, sweeping and hoovering those floors either way. Also, footpaths are not all covered in sh1t and other debris. Most aren't anything like that.

It's the attitude and dishonesty and rudeness here that gets people.

Isn't it gas that you are so concerned about keeping up an argument against what I (as just one of many with a 'no shoes' rule) insist on in my home, that you keep refering to attitude, lies and rudeness?

I'd consider the obsession with insinuating I'm somehow unreasonable, pretentious or sufferingi from OCD to be kind of pathetic, to be fair. You can do whatever you want in your own home. In my home, you don't get a say. Your opinion is rendered completely invalid inside the 4 walls of my home.

I'm just telling you how it is in this house, and whether you or anyone else like it or not won't sway me. I can understand that if you've always worn outdoor shoes in your house, you simply won't appreciate just how much of a difference it makes over time. That's okay, you don't have the experience and can't relate.

But maybe you'd be better off just accepting that your decision to wear/allow others wear outdoor shoes in your home is no more or no less valid than the rule in my house to prohibit it. I'm not trying to argue that you should take your shoes off in your own home. That's your decision to make. So don't take it so personally.

Grand. Just stop lying that all shoes and footpaths are covered in mud.

Grand. Just stop lying that all shoes and footpaths are covered in mud.

As soon as you stop lying that your shoes and floors are cleaner than mine, because I know they're not. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,825 ✭✭✭LirW

Irish people that ask other Irish people to remove their shoes in the house are plain weird or have notions. Simple as that.

Someone tried to tell to me in this thread a few days ago if I'm asking Irish people to take their shoes off as a non-irish person I disrespect the culture here and should get over myself.

I've heard it all now.

(Don't have a shoe policy btw)

How come my floors don't have shoe dirt on them so?

I swept them today and gathered a small pile of hairs, fluff and crumbs.

I'm not saying you shouldn't have the rule - it's entirely your choice, and I know you're not telling me I should have the rule in my home, but I am expressing the view that you have a strange notion that all shoes and footpaths are absolutely covered in muck.

LirW wrote: »
    Someone tried to tell to me in this thread a few days ago if I'm asking Irish people to take their shoes off as a non-irish person I disrespect the culture here and should get over myself.

I've heard it all now.

(Don't have a shoe policy btw)

I hope you heard it, and ignore it.

Despite all the objections here I doubt many would refuse on request, nor would they avoid visiting in future. They'd just clean their feet and wear good socks. I suspect that's the main reason people are trying to make other excuses why they wouldn't/shouldn't.

Despite all the objections here I doubt many would refuse on request, nor would they avoid visiting in future. They'd just clean their feet and wear good socks. I suspect that's the main reason people are trying to make other excuses why they wouldn't/shouldn't.
    The main reason is because they view it as uptight and unwelcoming.

i would do my best to avoid going to someones house with this crazy rule. i would invite them over or meet somewhere else. only as a last resort would i go over to theirs.

if its in a profetional context then i am leaving them on for health and safety reaons unless very exceptional circumstances. my boots wouldnt be mucky

• Advertisement

I have never ever encountered it. I would comply (without being happy about it of course) though, once told about the rule in a polite manner.

Advertisement