Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Shoes off.

Comments

Garda, my house was burgled. I have footage. They were wearing masks and shoes...The scum. But no gloves. Can you send the lads round to dust for prints but they must take the shoes off. No exceptions.

Spannerplank, could you not just tow your house to the Garda station and save them a trip? ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 413 ✭✭IRISH OS1R1S

JayZeus wrote: »
    Worthy of respect? Did you just imagine that phrase out of nowhere? Pffft.

Don’t worry about it anyway. I’m able to reboot or swap a router myself and I’d rather communicate by semaphore than let a cable puller wear their shoes in my house. Safety wear my hole.

And you can give it the talk but we both know you have company supplied overshoes in your van for just my kind of an arsehole customer, don’t you?

Yeah I think it is pretty clear now. You are definitely a sandwich short of a picnic.

All the best to you and your endeavours in life.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

odyssey06 wrote: »
    If I got a call out to your house to fix your broadband and am told shoes off or no entry you will have to live without broadband. #
    My service my rules.

From my experience broadband people just don't show up. So it's completely inconsequential what they wear.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,164 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

Garda, my house was burgled. I have footage. They were wearing masks and shoes...The scum. But no gloves. Can you send the lads round to dust for prints but they must take the shoes off. No exceptions.

In fairness at least you gave prior warning before the cops get there. :)

Yeah I think it is pretty clear now. You are definitely a sandwich short of a picnic.

All the best to you and your endeavours in life.

Because I refuse to consider every little insignificant concern other people might have about a reasonable and easy to follow ‘no shoes’ rule?

Or because I think it’s laughable to suggest I don’t respect people for some arbitrary reason given by a handful of total stranger with what I consider to be ridiculously unrealistic expectations?

How do they even get out of bed in the morning, let alone tie their own shoelaces? Is it wrong to expect they’d take their shoes off when visiting someones home or could that trigger some sort of breakdown?

Still, like I care.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 167 ✭✭Spannerplank

Should I also tell you about the wonky flush in the downstairs jacks before you get there, or one of the doors is a bit sticky and you have to give it a bit of a thump to open it?

Everyone has little oddities, and does things a certain way in their own homes.

****ing relax, and stop getting so wound up over something that is so inconsequential.

For the record, it's shoes on in my house. Mostly cos my hallway is cold, and mostly because I don't care about the flooring at the moment.

Would you be as supportive of other stupid measures? The reason for which are just as dumb as the no shoe rule?

Remove your lipstick, ladies. It messes up my wine glasses. No jeans with studs or zips ... Could really fcuk up my leatherette setee.

JayZeus wrote:
    Don’t worry about it anyway. I’m able to reboot or swap a router myself and I’d rather communicate by semaphore than let a cable puller wear their shoes in my house. Safety wear my hole.

You are coming across as an angry little man. I'm picturing rumplestiltskin stamping his feet.. No shoes on obviously but stamping his feet in rage just the same

Sleeper12 wrote: »
    In fairness at least you gave prior warning before the cops get there. :)

I’d say you two would get upset if you were invited to a surprise birthday party. :)

You are coming across as an angry little man. I'm picturing rumplestiltskin stamping his feet.. No shoes on obviously but stamping his feet in rage just the same

I credit you with more intelligence than that post would suggest. My mistake.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,161 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

I am picturing a bridge and something lurking under it

• Advertisement

Would you be as supportive of other stupid measures? The reason for which are just as dumb as the no shoe rule?

Remove your lipstick, ladies. It messes up my wine glasses. No jeans with studs or zips ... Could really fcuk up my leatherette setee.

I have a no studded jeans rule in my car.

iamwhoiam wrote:

That made me chuckle out loud. Very clever :)

iamwhoiam wrote: »

Because I disagree with you? Because I’m unpleasant?

Or because I think people who’d actually refuse to take their shoes off are morons?

Because I refuse to consider every little insignificant concern other people might have about a reasonable and easy to follow ‘no shoes’ rule?

Or because I think it’s laughable to suggest I don’t respect people for some arbitrary reason given by a handful of total stranger with what I consider to be ridiculously unrealistic expectations?

How do they even get out of bed in the morning, let alone tie their own shoelaces? Is it wrong to expect they’d take their shoes off when visiting someones home or could that trigger some sort of breakdown?

Still, like I care.

No, because you are one of those people I spoke of earlier. You know, the one that wipes the counters after someone leaned on it and follow folk around making sure they don't make a mess. You are the problem. You even admitted you're an "arsehole customer". The "cable cutter" comment shows everyone who you are. Stuck up your own ass.

Laters Hyacinth.

Spannerplank, could you not just tow your house to the Garda station and save them a trip? ;)

My yacht is still in the water and even I allow plimsoles when aboard.

Yes all those nations who are too dumb to wear shoes indoors.

Btw go to accommodation forum and see how many apartment dvelers are complaining about noise upstairs. Oh why would many nations where apartment living is often the norm wear slippers inside? If I could only figure this one out...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,047 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Seems to be a common thing in America. Every apartment I've been to in New York, the owner has asked me to take my shoes off. Doesn't seem to be the done thing here. Irish people would prefer to take out the hoover rather than be rude to their guests. And that's a good thing IMO. You don't ask your guests to wash the dishes after you've served them for instance.

That made me chuckle out loud. Very clever :)

Ah come on now, will you? There’s nothing ‘clever’ about that or about your reply.

‘I’m picturing a horse, refusing to drink the water’

Stark wrote: »
    Seems to be a common thing in America. Every apartment I've been to in New York, the owner has asked me to take my shoes off. Doesn't seem to be the done thing here. Irish people would prefer to take out the hoover rather than be rude to their guests. And that's a good thing IMO. You don't ask your guests to wash the dishes after you've served them for instance.
    It might be that they are considerate to their neighbours. There is a reason why slippers are worn in apartments. You'd rather stomp over other people's bedroom than ask visitors to wear slippers.

I have a no studded jeans rule in my car.

You've had a good run now, Jay. Take off the wellies, socks up on the fireguard and let the Jack Russell kick the wild toejammed feet.

• Advertisement

You've had a good run now, Jay. Take off the wellies, socks up on the fireguard and let the Jack Russell kick the wild toejammed feet.

Your name is very appropriate. ;)

And if you think I’d wear wellies anywhere, let alone in the house, you’ve missed the mark by a long shot.

The only thing a jack russell is any good for is ratting and, like the wellies, has no place in my home. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,812 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

meeeeh wrote: »
    It might be that they are considerate to their neighbours. There is a reason why slippers are worn in apartments. You'd rather stomp over other people's bedroom than ask visitors to wear slippers.

Stomping about in boots on a wooden floor shouldn't be standard procedure but actually I have found some slippers to make more noise than some shoes or runners\trainers! It's all about the soles.

Visitors should really be sent home by the hours of sleeping. And if they are staying over in the bedroom they should be invited to take off their heels or dress shoes before getting into bed :)

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

Stomping about in boots on a wooden floor shouldn't be standard procedure but actually I have found some slippers to make more noise than some shoes or runners\trainers! It's all about the soles.

Visitors should really be sent home by the hours of sleeping. And if they are staying over in the bedroom they should be invited to take off their heels or dress shoes before getting into bed :)
    There are countries where families with children live in flats and semi-ds are not the only place you can live in if you have a family.

I could reason for the whole night but people in other countries don't wear slippers inside just because they are dumb.

Sent home before the hours of sleeping? Say what, Willis? “Hurry up and drink that tea will you? The hour of sleep is upon us and the shoes will wake the dead!”

Or just tell them to take the shoes off at the door, then relax and enjoy the evening.

Without any chance at all that there will be a tan brown greasy squashed dog crap on the landing or smeared across the bedroom carpet or rug.

Because I disagree with you? Because I’m unpleasant?

Or because I think people who’d actually refuse to take their shoes off are morons?

Just wondering. If a Muslim entered your house as your guest, took his shoes and socks off, washed and cleaned his feet and then accepted your welcome would you make sure that the soles of your feet never faced him....A huge insult, or would you still be "my house, my rules"?

odyssey06 wrote:

I've read threads in the accommodation section where the apartment above has an autistic child that ran up and down the length of the apartment for hours on end. The poster believed that it was worse when the child didn't wear shoes. This is not to say that no shoes is a bad thing but definitely sometimes no shoes can be louder in the apartment above

Stark wrote: »

Neighbours below.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,812 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

There are countries where families with children live in flats and semi-ds are not the only place you can live in if you have a family.
    I could reason for the whole night but people in other countries don't wear slippers inside just because they are dumb.

Yes and some apartments complexes have rules about wooden floors.
    Or running washing machines after 11 o'clock.
    And inside some houses, never mind apartments, the family members downstairs might not want kids jumping on beds.
    Minimising noise in an apartment is not just about slippers.
    Your average pair of hush puppies or nike air ain't going to make too much noise over and above slippers or socks.
    Extrapolating a general rule for a country from what should or shouldn't be done in an apartment is not reasonable.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

Just wondering. If a Muslim entered your house as your guest, took his shoes and socks off, washed and cleaned his feet and then accepted your welcome would you make sure that the soles of your feet never faced him....A huge insult, or would you still be "my house, my rules"?

Really?

If he’s sitting opposite me and I want to put my feet up on the coffee table (mine, in my home, take note), he just about might be able to take offence at that I suppose. In which case, he’d be welcome to take his shoes and GTFO if he wanted. Along with anyone else who’s looking to be offended over nothing.

• Advertisement

Yes and some apartments complexes have rules about wooden floors.
    Or running washing machines after 11 o'clock.
    And inside some houses, never mind apartments, the family members downstairs might not want kids jumping on beds.
    Minimising noise in an apartment is not just about slippers.
    Your average pair of hush puppies or nike air ain't going to make too much noise.
    Extrapolating a general rule for a country from what should or shouldn't be done in an apartment is not reasonable.

I didn't say there should be a general rule, I was explaining why slippers are common in apartment living in countries which have functional apartment living. Btw I know of plenty apartments with wooden floors. Parquet flooring used to be the norm (now it's sadly being replaced by cheaper alternatives) but you'd be mad to stick manky carpet over that.

Yes all those nations who are too dumb to wear shoes indoors.

Btw go to accommodation forum and see how many apartment dvelers are complaining about noise upstairs. Oh why would many nations where apartment living is often the norm wear slippers inside? If I could only figure this one out...

so it's about noise from above now? I could have sworn I heard the reasons given as dirt, stones and dog sh1t.

Indeed. Ever hear a barefoot woman above walk around on a wooden floor. Heels shaking the building? Stick her in a pair of reeboks.....silence.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,416 ✭✭✭Zico

If you expect people to remove shoes at your door you should at least provide a seat and a pair of slippers.

Zico wrote:
    If you expect people to remove shoes at your door you should at least provide a seat and a pair of slippers.

And a can of beer :)

so it's about noise from above now? I could have sworn I heard the reasons given as dirt, stones and dog sh1t.

Someone (I couldn't be bothered checking who) claimed that it's dumb to not to wear shoes inside. My point is that there are very often good reasons. We never bothered but I also never lived in apartment. I know of nobody in the country I come from who wouldn't ask you to take shoes off in an apartment. It's not that apartment dwellers are bigger neat freaks than those living in houses but there are other practical reasons why people do it. Another reason is that heels can badly scratch wooden flooring. My parents also had white marble hall which was pretty much destroyed because people wore shoes (busy house, long story). It depends how much you care about that kind of stuff but it's not just stupid people being stupid and asking you to wear slippers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,311 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

decky1 wrote: »
    does she forget where she came from
    Consider this is why she demands it?

Really?

If he’s sitting opposite me and I want to put my feet up on the coffee table (mine, in my home, take note), he just about might be able to take offence at that I suppose. In which case, he’d be welcome to take his shoes and GTFO if he wanted. Along with anyone else who’s looking to be offended over nothing.

Hear hear, old boy. Laugh him out of your house all the way down the driveway

Someone (I couldn't be bothered checking who) claimed that it's dumb to not to wear shoes inside. My point is that there are very often good reasons. We never bothered but I also never lived in apartment. I know of nobody in the country I come from who wouldn't ask you to take shoes off in an apartment. It's not that apartment dwellers are bigger neat freaks than those living in houses but there are other practical reasons why people do it. Another reason is that heels can badly scratch wooden flooring. My parents also had white marble hall which was pretty much destroyed because people wore shoes (busy house, long story). It depends how much you care about that kind of stuff but it's not just stupid people being stupid and asking you to wear slippers.

Marble floor destroyed by shoes? Really? Were there legions goose stepping through in steel heeled jackboots? The foyers of most hotels must need replacing yearly if it was just regular human traffic in normal footwear.

What's the point of having a marble floor if you can't enjoy the sound of a pair of Blahneks stride across it or an oak floor without the sound of a good pair of Churches echo as you cross the room. Might as well but a chesterfield and cover it in plastic. Peasants.

To be fair the parents sound like normal homeowners and did not allow guests to potentially feel uncomfortable by ruining a mood with "remove your shoes or be gone".

Evidently, marble floor be damned!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,913 ✭✭✭v638sg7k1a92bx

Everyone's out of step except me...

Marble floor destroyed by shoes? Really? Were there legions goose stepping through in steel heeled jackboots? The foyers of most hotels must need replacing yearly if it was just regular human traffic in normal footwear.
    'White' marble. White marble soaks up dirt and I would never touch it as kitchen surface. Btw I come from one of the most forested regions in Europe and marble quarry is about 30km away from my parent's house. Hardwood flooring or marble are very common in houses there so I have quite a bit experience (plus two of my best friends part own/work for a company that fits hotels and super yachts. They had problems with architects marking white marble blocks they wanted to pick to be cut and staining them. White marble soaks in everything).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,482 ✭✭✭Gimme A Pound

I have a no shoes policy in my living room and upstairs. We have tiles in the hall and kitchen so shoes are fine there, but in the living room, on the stairs and in the bedrooms we have cream carpet. It seems crazy to me to walk on carpet in shoes, that's why you buy carpet, to have a warm and cosy floor, so why would you walk dirt all over it (I also tend to sit on the floor rather than on the sofa so I want to be sitting somewhere clean and comfy.
    I have spare slippers in a couple of sizes I keep for guests (they get washed after use too), most people are fine about it, some think it's odd when I first tell them to take off their shoes but most of my friends and family actually like it no because it makes them feel more at home in my home. When going to other peoples houses, if they're not no shoe houses I keep my shoes on but it does feel odd, especially if I'm going to be there for a while, having my shoes on makes me feel like I should be heading for the door.
    I would expect tradesmen to put those plastic overshoes on.
    Only reasonable "no shoes" post I've read here.

That makes sense about the carpet - very true it's warm and soft (even if realistically there isn't gonna be visible dirt on the shoes that people would wear on them, but tiny particles will build up) and you have sense regarding the tiled floors.
    People are an awful bunch of cranky hoors in here.

Stop being so ****ing arseholey and throwing down ultimatums.
    Yes some "no shoes" people are indeed. Moreso unhinged rather than cranky. There is zero cause to treat people like children and demand (and it is a demand because there is no choice) that they remove shoes that have no dirt on them on tiled or wooden floors which are swept and cleaned often, other than to be an oddball.

Ah but he doesn't care , doesn't care do you hear him HE DOESNT CARE .
    Pages and pages of not caring one jot about it
    The way he thinks he's not OCD and thinks he seems reasonable (So aggressive and angry) is delusional of the highest order.

Wait for the onslaught of "not caring" and "I can be hostile and rude but nobody else can be."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,068 ✭✭✭MarkY91

I don't see the issue. It's the norm all over the world. In the Philippines, It was considered rude to enter a house with your flip flops on. Barefoot or don't enter..

MarkY91 wrote: »
    I don't see the issue. It's the norm all over the world.
    Not in Ireland. It is the exception.

I don't see the issue. It's the norm all over the world. In the Philippines, It was considered rude to enter a house with your flip flops on. Barefoot or don't enter..

It's considered rude in Germany not to shake hands everytime someone comes visiting . Different countries have different customs .

It's considered rude in Germany not to shake hands everytime someone comes visiting . Different countries have different customs .

That's different.

Taking shoes off are to keep the house clean.

That's different.

Taking shoes off are to keep the house clean.
    Its not customary here regardless of reason

Its not customary here regardless of reason

Never said it was.

I simply stated that I don't see the issue if anyone requested me to take my shoes off.

• Advertisement
Advertisement