Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Shoes off.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,157 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

Some weirdos on here

I'm one of them. I rarely wear pants when in the house. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,891 ✭✭✭✭mrcheez

I used to do this... when I had carpet downstairs.

Replaced the lot with wood-effect tile. Freakin' dream come true. Walk in filthy, wait for floor to dry, then my Roomba brushes up the lot.

Carpet is the devil's flooring.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,188 ✭✭✭Malayalam

Sleeper12 wrote: »

See. That's civilised.

Anyway I'm out. People either get it or they don't.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭m5ex9oqjawdg2i

Take off your shoes, it's fairly simple and keeps the house you are entering a little cleaner.

If you are asked to take off your shoes and you act like a child, the problem is on your side ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,480 ✭✭✭wexie

Sleeper12 wrote: »

Malayalam wrote: »
    See. That's civilised.

to be honest I think I'd prefer someone's shoes on my floor over their bare ass on my couch...

Maybe I'm a bit strange?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 779 ✭✭✭Arrival

I can't believe there are people that get offended about someone having good hygiene. You wear your shoes walking on all kinds of dirty streets and footpaths gathering who knows what, wearing them inside your house is disgusting especially if you wear them into a bedroom where you'll be walking barefoot in. The best solution is to buy multiple pairs of slippers and leave them at the entrance so anyone coming in can throw them on, they're more comfortable than shoes. The same people that complain about this are probably the type that eat like horses at the table

If they were mucky or something id take them off as soon as i was invited in without asking as i would my own home

Other than that it does annoy me being asked ( i would agree and mutter c**t under my breath) but i dont wanna spend to much time in someones house that values there carpet/wooden floor more than having a friend over.

You're actually a nutter, you realise that it's possible to do both; want friends over for company while also still simply being mindful of basic hygiene. If they valued their floor more than having a friend over then you wouldn't be there at all. It's actually hilarious how bizarre it is to enter someone else's home and take offense at them making a basic request to do a very simple thing while in their home that they have invited you into. It's not like they've asked you to put on a hazmat suit

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,083 ✭✭✭Rubberchikken

Im in and out all day /dog in and out all day too. Couldnt be bothered. Anyways im glad the few houses i call to are not fussy:)

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

What about pet cats and dogs walking around the place after being outdoors.

Maybe 'Booties' animal socks should be compulsory for all pets.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,188 ✭✭✭Malayalam

wexie wrote: »
    to be honest I think I'd prefer someone's shoes on my floor over their bare ass on my couch...

Maybe I'm a bit strange?

Lookit, who said bare ass, haha...they'd be wearing knickers, silly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,881 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

I'd be respectful to anyones reasonable wishes whilst on their property. That certainly goes as far as removing my shoes in their house if they wish. My little family can't wear outdoor shoes in the house. There's just to much sand, muck and debris, particularly with this weather.

Some people seem to feel their foot/sock hygiene might be worse than their outer footwear! Most likely because they rarely remove their shoes... They need to get on top of that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Take off yer fecking shoes. You have walked through traces of dog and cat faeces, human spit, rats urine, vomit, refuse, fox poop, and innumerable other delights if you have travelled any average street or road. I want crawling babies, floor licking toddlers and sock wearing me to be spared your worldly detritus, thanks very much. In many other countries it is utterly weird to walk into a home with your street shoes on, and yes, tradesmen and visiting professionals have plastic outer shoes they automatically produce. If you love your shoes so much lick the soles of them - that is what you are offering floor dwelling smallies......blech!

Brilliant post!!

Lookit, who said bare ass, haha...they'd be wearing knickers, silly.

ah...those pants. I'd call them pants too but I'm constantly being told they're trousers, and pants go underneath trousers.

:(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 555 ✭✭✭shaunr68

What about pet cats and dogs walking around the place after being outdoors.
    I have a pile of old towels in a cupboard next to the door. Most of the time a towel is laid out inside the doorway, but in wet weather each paw gets a quick rub as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 779 ✭✭✭no.8

decky1 wrote:
    Watched a little piece on morning tv about going to someone's house and being expected to take your shoes off,--i went to a friends house a long time ago and when his wife answered the door the first thing she said was 'take off your shoes' now i was'nt in working clothes or boots as i was going out but for some reason i felt a bit offended i thought the cheek of her does she forget where she came from . Anyone else think this is a bit overboard?

Nope. Their house, their rules. It's pretty common in many countries

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,291 ✭✭✭em_cat

This thread is making me giggle...

Massive fan of no shoes, as far as etiquette goes tho, I take my cue from the host & when am invited to someone’s gaff I always wear new socks...in fact I have more socks than handbags or shoes...

• Advertisement

my3cents wrote:
    Its simple if I'm expected to take my shoes off I turn around and walk away.

Lol. You're some clown with that attitude. Respect a homeowners rules. They don't want to have to clean up after you ok

Many cultures have this rule. Even slippers ready for you. Its nothing offensive... Its just that they don't want everybody dragging their ****e into the house

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,204 ✭✭✭lau1247

It is not that hard, as good manners why not automatically ask the first time you go to someone else's house. Then next time you know when visiting again

My personal take on this is to take it off as soon as entering the house.

West Dublin, ☀️ 7.83kWp ⚡5.66 kWp South West, ⚡2.18 kWp North East

"Ask me bollix " says I and walked out , drove off and left her there.

Yawn

I'm in favour of it. I lived in Scandinavia back in the early-mid 1990s and it was the norm there then - but so too was recycling (you used to put empty cans/bottles etc into a vending machine and they'd give you money for each one) and they had these weird things called bicycle lanes there, too.

I can fully understand the point about some smelly, barbarous oaf coming in with stinky socks. There'll always be one unless the women keep them civilised before they leave their homes. We should have a national hygiene, table manners and toilet hygiene campaign directed at men because a shockingly large number of men in Ireland are painfully backward with their personal hygiene.

• Advertisement

Reminds me of a situation with a buddy of mine who was doing work renovating a kitchen in a house,the woman of the house insisted that they remove their work boots indoors. They were ripping out the whole room and taking down a wall. Hardly practical to work in socks. Their solution was to ask her if she had a safepass,hi Vis vest and hard hat as the kitchen was officially a building site,that ended the whole removing shoes mularkey.

This is entirely acceptable. Tradesmen)/ work going on in the house

I had a bathroom renovation recently and the professionals laid down a tough plastic "lino" (how eighties can you get) from the front door, all the way up the stairs to the bathroom. This meant they could wear their boots and keep the floor from damage.

Professionals.

Im in and out all day /dog in and out all day too. Couldnt be bothered. Anyways im glad the few houses i call to are not fussy

In many cultures, its dis-re-feckinspectful not to remove them, its not about ' being fussy'

no.8 wrote: »
    In many cultures, its dis-re-feckinspectful not to remove them, its not about ' being fussy'

Same in any farmhouse I've been to in Ireland!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

Some of my friends take their shoes off in my house, I tell them to put them back on unless they are manky.

Smelly looking feet are worse than most shoes these days imo. I've dogs and a toddler, he's never sick and can eat any food we give him

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭Sile Na Gig

I used to be really strict about it when we had crawling babies. When the kids stopped putting everything in their mouths and we got a dog I gave up on it. We have wooden floors, they’re constantly mucky apart from about half an hour a week after they’ve been mopped. I don’t care so much. Lowering your standards is wonderful!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 779 ✭✭✭Arrival

no.8 wrote: »
    Yawn

Imagine being friends with such an unreasonable person lmao

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,949 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

Be interesting if a poll could be added to the thread.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,229 ✭✭✭Sam Quentin

Zebra3 wrote: »
    Be interesting if a poll could be added to the thread.

Yes I am Poland man, and we take sometimes shoes off. Thanks you please :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,849 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

I only was every asked to this at a friends Birthday when we were about seven.
    I haven't experienced it since. It's not common in my area.
    Most people wipe there feet/etc at the door and farmers/etc don't wear mucky wellies/boots into the house.
    I also don't like/eat/sit on the floor so I don't mind the soles of shoes touching off the floor.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,383 ✭✭✭Miss Demeanour

I take my shoes off at the front door and would rather everybody else did but I dont enforce it.
    I just wash the floors like a madwoman once they are gone......prob solved.
    Its my home and a comfort as well as cleanliness thing but I remove my bra too so I can hardly say 'shoes and bra off please' now can I!?

Its my home and a comfort as well as cleanliness thing but I remove my bra too so I can hardly say 'shoes and bra off please' now can I!?

well...you could....

but you'd have to provide tracky bottoms as well really.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,174 ✭✭✭RhubarbCrumble

There's a serious amount of germphobes on this thread! If shoes indoors were that bad, we should all be long dead by now. At least that's what a lot of posters seem to be insinuating. Or do you all live in a plastic bubble?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,492 ✭✭✭pleas advice

shoes off socks off, hats off scarves off

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,814 ✭✭✭sunbeam

So what exactly are you supposed to do if have arthritis and need orthotics and shoes that support the ankle? Limp around in agony to avoid upsetting the delicate sensibilities of all the Hyacinth Buckets?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

Walking all kinds of crap in on the floor. Why would you wear shoes inside?

Seen it in offices, dentists and hospitals in Slovakia as well as houses. Just wear show covers or have slippers in your bag.
    Makes perfect sense.

30656908_2016185562037388_7560944218395377664_n.jpg?_nc_cat=0&oh=2c2019e81708ff3255f9b779d1c68f37&oe=5B2CF691

• Administrators Posts: 54,110 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Take off yer fecking shoes. You have walked through traces of dog and cat faeces, human spit, rats urine, vomit, refuse, fox poop, and innumerable other delights if you have travelled any average street or road. I want crawling babies, floor licking toddlers and sock wearing me to be spared your worldly detritus, thanks very much. In many other countries it is utterly weird to walk into a home with your street shoes on, and yes, tradesmen and visiting professionals have plastic outer shoes they automatically produce. If you love your shoes so much lick the soles of them - that is what you are offering floor dwelling smallies......blech!
    lol.

Do you go around and disinfect all surfaces that your "smallie" can reach every day?

lovejoy3.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,291 ✭✭✭em_cat

There's a serious amount of germphobes on this thread! If shoes indoors were that bad, we should all be long dead by now. At least that's what a lot of posters seem to be insinuating. Or do you all live in a plastic bubble?

Eh no, some of us are just curtious & are happy to oblige our hosts. TBF if you’ve ever walked the streets of Dublin in any capacity, the amount of dog & human shyte around, I would be worried if you didn’t.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,815 ✭✭✭lulu1

I would not ask anyone to take their shoes off when coming into my house and would be offended if asked to take mine off if going to a friends.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭Tangatagamadda Chaddabinga Bonga Bungo

I personally blame George Soros and the Deep State for this issue that is dividing people so strongly. :(

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,492 ✭✭✭pleas advice

shoes off socks off, hats off scarves off

suns out guns out

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,273 ✭✭✭Gizmo55

I’m a bit of a germophobe. If I’d carpets I think I’d say whoop your shoes off. I’ve floorboards though so I wouldn’t ask you to take your shoes off, I’d just clean up after ya, ya filthy animal :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,279 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

If Assad didn't gas them then who did??

Edit: haha wrong thread

It's all about balance and practicality.

Have you ever walked through an Irish farmyard in to a house? It's wellies off.

Have you come from a long walk over muck and sand? It's boots off.

Arrive home from the bog? Boots off.

Have you arrived in to the house with four kids from a mucky park? Shoes off.

In from the beach? Shoes off.

Maybe you live in the plastic bubble and never need to take your shoes off. Fair play to you. Rock on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,295 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

MadYaker wrote: »
    If Assad didn't gas them then who did??

Sorry you need to take your shoes off, or be very firm as to why you refuse to do so, if you want to post in this thread.

Maybe you would like to go to the next thread...

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

John_Rambo wrote: »

Maybe you live in the plastic bubble and never need to take your shoes off. Fair play to you. Rock on.

Those are different situations to a trip to the shops/or your daily job in the office tough!

I think this is a throw back to times when manual workers, like farmers etc were the ones to take off their shoes.

Its a class thing as far as I can see, workers take boots off, gentry & posh people kept them on.
    completely different in other countries!
    what about all you keeper of the shoes....... what happens if you go to a different country where it is normal to take shoes off?
    do you refuse to enter then?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,815 ✭✭✭lulu1

John_Rambo wrote: »

We all know there are situations where you take your shoes off when going into the house. But i defo would not to be asked to take my shoes off if I was dressed up and going to visit a friend

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

em_cat wrote: »
    Eh no, some of us are just curtious & are happy to oblige our hosts. TBF if you’ve ever walked the streets of Dublin in any capacity, the amount of dog & human shyte around, I would be worried if you didn’t.
    You're supposed to walk around the crap, not step in it.

• Advertisement
Advertisement