Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Shoes off.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,468 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

evil_seed wrote: »
    shoes off at the front door. leave on shoe stand. put on house shoes. keeps the place cleaner :cool:
    It's the norm on the continent too :eek: :pac:

Same here, straight into a pair of slippers.

However we don't have carpeting downstairs so any damage would be minimal. But definitely shoes off to go upstairs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,468 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Shoes without socks means stinking shoes

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,124 ✭✭✭by8auj6csd3ioq

Don't understand why anyone who wash/change socks regularly would have manky smell if they took off their shoes. There are deodrants for people who have sweat problems. On an old thread someone said they walked London for an hour had no visible dirt. No visible dirt is not the same as no dirt

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Would be a thing in certain places on the continent and Asia

Was never a cultural thing in Ireland and Britain.

then it needs to be

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Growing up down the country in Ireland we didn’t take our shoes off. I guess I was one of the lucky ones that didn’t get e-coil or full blown aids as a result.

e-coil is very vary nasty so why take risks?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

Here's the test. If you left the house but then realised you left your wallet in the living room and had to go back in to grab it would you go back in the front door take your shoes off, go in to get your wallet, go back into the hall, put your shoes back on and leave the house again?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,700 ✭✭✭Mountainsandh

Graces7 wrote: »
    e-coil is very vary nasty so why take risks?

What risks ?
    My guests don't tend to lick off the floors, and if I drop something I don't serve it.

When there were babies here I used to hoover more frequently alright, but I do think we are making people more fragile with an excess of self-imposed hygiene rules and regulations.

:)
    https://some.ly/PmPHni/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

What risks ?
    My guests don't tend to lick off the floors, and if I drop something I don't serve it.

When there were babies here I used to hoover more frequently alright, but I do think we are making people more fragile with an excess of self-imposed hygiene rules and regulations.

:)

The very people who go on about taking shoes off are often they who allow dogs and cats free reign of outside and inside the house - it defies logic.

I can understand people not wanting to wear shoes inside but asking a guest to call round and then demanding they take off their shoes when tehy arrive is a bit much. Better to tell them at the invite but that would make for a strange invite too. Have no guests or have no carpets and wash the floor when they are gone.

. I know someone who has OCD and when someone comes in she would be watching where s/he walked and trying to remember for when she is washing after s/he goes. For instance the guest might walk at the fire side of the coffee table. If the guest happened to walk part on a rug under the coffee table when passing it she would have to washthat part of the rug with a cloth dipped in water/disinfectent

• Advertisement

What risks ?

When you go to the bedroom aren't you spreading whatever is on the floor. If you walk on the floor with slippers then go to the bedrom you carry any germs on the floor there

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,480 ✭✭✭AllForIt

I lived in Istanbul with my partner a good while back. There they keep slipper-like shoes by the front door for themselves and guests. I didn't particularly like them so I though I'll just take my shoes off and just wear socks. THAT they didn't like at all, his mam went mental so I had to use their guest shoes whether I liked it or not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,174 ✭✭✭RhubarbCrumble

. I know someone who has OCD and when someone comes in she would be watching where s/he walked and trying to remember for when she is washing after s/he goes. For instance the guest might walk at the fire side of the coffee table. If the guest happened to walk part on a rug under the coffee table when passing it she would have to washthat part of the rug with a cloth dipped in water/disinfectent

Sounds like you've been round at my sister in laws! Not even joking.

• Registered Users Posts: 912 ✭✭✭chakotha

I used to hate this as a kid when visiting some friends homes.

My socks used to howl so it was stupidly awful all around.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,815 ✭✭✭lulu1

I can understand people not wanting to wear shoes inside but asking a guest to call round and then demanding they take off their shoes when tehy arrive is a bit much. Better to tell them at the invite but that would make for a strange invite too. Have no guests or have no carpets and wash the floor when they are gone.

I would understand someone who has ocd washing and cleaning up after people and afraid of germs. I would never ask anyone to take off their shoes and if workmen did come to the door with muddy boots they would probably take them off anyway, if the worst came to the worst you could put paper down for them to walk on. My house is a home and i would hope anyone who visits would be happy to come back. What's the point of having fancy wooden floors and carpets when you cant enjoy them

• Closed Accounts Posts: 518 ✭✭✭keith_sixteen

It's a question of basic hygiene. Shoes off is completely the norm all over Europe. Presumably those who are ok with shoes inside are also ok with people putting their feet up on train seats?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,849 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

It's a question of basic hygiene. Shoes off is completely the norm all over Europe. Presumably those who are ok with shoes inside are also ok with people putting their feet up on train seats?

I don't put my shoes up on train seats and I don't put my shoes on the sofa/chairs in my house either.

I also hope anybody who has a dog that goes out put little boots on him/her and takes them off when they come inside!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

Presumably those who are ok with shoes inside are also ok with people putting their feet up on train seats?

Why, do you sit on the floor at home or in other people's houses? Weird comparison. Seats aren't for feet, floors literally are.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,700 ✭✭✭Mountainsandh

When you go to the bedroom aren't you spreading whatever is on the floor. If you walk on the floor with slippers then go to the bedrom you carry any germs on the floor there

Well I don't tend to roll on the floor of even lick it either in my bedroom, so maybe there's dreaded ecoli there too watching me when I sleep, and I'm completely unaware! 😨

I am French and grew up in a non shoe removal obsessed environment so the European thing, ahem...

We do spontaneously change into slippers anyway when we get home but if someone comes in with shoes it's no biggy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,480 ✭✭✭wexie

I am French and grew up in a non shoe removal obsessed environment so the European thing, ahem...

Being one of these much maligned 'yuuurpeans' I have to say it's certainly not something I'm overly familiar with either. But who knows, maybe the whole continent has undergone some form of cultural shift in the last few years.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭defrule

Many people here would be in for a shock if they travelled to Japan.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 307 ✭✭schizo1014

I wear 14 hole docs most days, by the time I took them off visiting someones house it would be time to fecking leave again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,030 ✭✭✭Minderbinder

My wife is Chinese and her parents remove their shoes at home and so do we in their house. But they never ask guests from outside the immediate family to take off their shoes. They consider that to be rude. It just doesn’t come across well in almost any society. Instead they clean the floor afterwards like normal people.

If you ask people to take off their shoes when they enter your house, you will be judged because of it and people will talk about you. Germs are everywhere. Get over it.

It's not "basic hygiene" it's over the top ocd level stuff.

Also to highlight again what others have said, the very people who are looking for shoes to be taken off are the same people with dogs allowed inside, allowed on the seats and licking their face after licking their own arse - great hygiene there :rolleyes:.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,498 ✭✭✭recyclops

Tile downstairs shoes on

Carpet stairs and upstairs shoes off

Rarely have visitors upstairs and they generally take off their shoes goin upstairs anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 518 ✭✭✭keith_sixteen

Omackeral wrote: »
    Why, do you sit on the floor at home or in other people's houses? Weird comparison. Seats aren't for feet, floors literally are.

No, kids spend a lot of time on the floor however. So do I when playing with them. It's absolutely disgusting to be walking around the gaff with shoes on.

So tell me, if seats are not for feet, why do people do it? And what's the problem with putting feet up on seats exactly?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,295 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

defrule wrote: »

Or, even more dramatically, countries where the kids can't afford shoes...

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

If people are that concerned about germs on the floor, what happens if one of the guests coughs or sneezes? Immediate ejection?
    I presume the guests aren't greeted with a handshake, but frog-marched to the bathroom to wash their hands before they touch anything in the house...

odyssey06 wrote: »
    Or, even more dramatically, countries where the kids can't afford shoes...

Even hostels I stayed in required is to take shoes off in the lobby and put them in a storage room. Some restaurants require it, some temples too.

Even hostels I stayed in required is to take shoes off in the lobby and put them in a storage room. Some restaurants require it, some temples too.

Restaurants, sounds bonkers, were there actual tables and chairs or was it just a space for eating? What if you have walked in barefoot?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 122 ✭✭Cocobongo

Also to highlight again what others have said, the very people who are looking for shoes to be taken off are the same people with dogs allowed inside, allowed on the seats and licking their face after licking their own arse - great hygiene there :rolleyes:.

It is actually basic hygiene, god knows what sort of disease or bacteria bottom of your shoes carries

I would say that people who let others walk around their house in the shoes probably only mop the floor once a year

Cocobongo wrote: »
    It is actually basic hygiene, god knows what sort of disease or bacteria bottom of your shoes carries

Imagine what sort of bacteria the bottom of your trousers carry if you've travelled on Dublin Bus to the house... would you still allow the person to sit down?

Restaurants, sounds bonkers, were there actual tables and chairs or was it just a space for eating? What if you have walked in barefoot?

They provide slippers. There is usually porch where you take off you shoes, the area where no shoes are allowed is one step up from the porch.

It varies from place to place, restaurant I stayed in has massive pillows on the floor which you sit on. The table then would be lower down.

A traditional hotel I stay in, we slept on the floor on futons that they roll out. Again, the room had a step once you go in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 779 ✭✭✭Arrival

Malayalam wrote: »
    in places like the Ukraine, Russia and former Soviet countries

Why put 'the' before Ukraine? The Ireland, the France, the Germany all sound bizarre, it's no different for Ukraine

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,030 ✭✭✭Minderbinder

I would say that people who let others walk around their house in the shoes probably only mop the floor once a year

I’d say people who ask guests to remove their shoes in Ireland are probably odd in a number of other ways and struggle to make friends, apart from with smallies and doggies.

It's absolutely disgusting to be walking around the gaff with shoes on.

It's not really though. Think I've been asked once in my life to take my shoes off and that was when I was going upstairs to use the bathroom
    So tell me, if seats are not for feet, why do people do it? And what's the problem with putting feet up on seats exactly?

The problem is somebody else might want to actually sit down on the other seat!?

what happens if one of the guests coughs or sneezes? Immediate ejection?

Read that as something else there for a second and was thinking ''ok the coughing and sneezing happens but the ej...''

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

What bacteria are on their socks or bare feet?

We let people wear their shoes in the house and only vacuum or wash floors once a week. I wonder how we've made it to our mid 70s without catching the plague. And when I think of all the children and grandchildren who have crawled these floors yet managed not to be stricken down I'm now feeling so guilty.

Arrival wrote: »
    Why put 'the' before Ukraine? The Ireland, the France, the Germany all sound bizarre, it's no different for Ukraine

It's a linguistic thing though. The word Украи́на ("Ukraina") contains "край", Russian for "border" or "edge". The word originally meant "the borderlands". So it was picked up in English as "the Ukraine". You see it said with The Cameroon, The Gambia and The Congo at times also.

• Advertisement

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Name_of_Ukraine#%22Ukraine%22_versus_%22the_Ukraine%22

Fascinating... it used to be called "the Ukraine", at least in the media but now it's "Ukraine".

It's a linguistic thing though. The word Украи́на ("Ukraina") contains "край", Russian for "border" or "edge". The word originally meant "the borderlands". So it was picked up in English as "the Ukraine". You see it said with The Cameroon, The Gambia and The Congo at times also.

whoa there big fella, we're just in here quietly discussing the pro's and cons of wearing shoes in the house.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,657 ✭✭✭somefeen

I hate this crap. Shoes off at the door is impractical and nothing but a nuisance for very little benefit.
    How do these people bring their shopping in from the car? Highly inefficient.
    I lived with someone once who insisted that only "city people" wore their shoes in the house.
    Sorry love but if your in and out of the house while doing something your gonna leave your shoes on.

Had a house share once where this was a rule, wrecked my head completely. I grew up in a house where you'd occasionally find a motorbike in the kitchen so it could worked on somewhere dry. Tried to bring a bicycle up to my bedroom in that house once for the same reason and there was holy war.

wexie wrote: »
    whoa there big fella, we're just in here quietly discussing the pro's and cons of wearing shoes in the house.

Well I'm a rebel that wears shoes indoors so if I want to mention geo-political post-Soviet nomenclature I won't be stopped.

I find it interesting that, in all the times people have brought up Japan in this discussion nobody has yet copped onto the fact that people in Japan started taking their shoes off indoors cause they used to eat on the floor....

conorhal wrote: »
    Because?

You genuinely could not consider the positives yourself? Like you actually have to ask someone else?

• Advertisement

Yes, which is all long outdated as the Ukrainian to English translation makes it just 'Ukraine' and on all up-to-date maps it is Ukraine and everywhere in the country it is Ukraine. Ukrainians can even take offense to 'the Ukraine' for the reasons you've mentioned, it implies the country is simply a borderland to Russia and is owned by Russia

Yes, which is all long outdated as the Ukrainian to English translation makes it just 'Ukraine' and on all up-to-date maps it is Ukraine and everywhere in the country it is Ukraine. Ukrainians can even take offense to 'the Ukraine' for the reasons you've mentioned, it implies the country is simply a borderland to Russia and is owned by Russia

The Russians should never have demanded the Ukrainians take off their nuclear weapons shoes when they visited otherwise it would be one big happy country.

Fast and the Furious ToKyo Drift? Wabaki

Fast and the Furious ToKyo Drift? Wabaki

That’s brilliant! :D

The Russians should never have demanded the Ukrainians take off their nuclear weapons shoes when they visited otherwise it would be one big happy country.

It's funny to be discussing Ukraine in this thread because it's actually from visiting Ukraine that I picked up the habit of taking my shoes off and putting on slippers when entering a home. They all have loads of slippers in a closet at their entrances for guests to put on so it's really comfortable. You also then go to the bathroom and give a quick wash to your hands so you can go to the kitchen and stuff your face with their Babushka's cuisine. It was heaven. Can't believe how far behind many Irish homes are about these types of small things, which is why it's crazy to see people even take offense at the idea of having to take their shoes off. Is it just here in Ireland these people would refuse or would they actually be ignorant enough to refuse to respect the cultures when abroad as well?

• Advertisement
Advertisement