Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Shoes off.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,295 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Arrival wrote: »
    It's funny to be discussing Ukraine in this thread because it's actually from visiting Ukraine that I picked up the habit of taking my shoes off and putting on slippers when entering a home. They all have loads of slippers in a closet at their entrances for guests to put on so it's really comfortable. You also then go to the bathroom and give a quick wash to your hands so you can go to the kitchen and stuff your face with their Babushka's cuisine. It was heaven. Can't believe how far behind many Irish homes are about these types of small things, which is why it's crazy to see people even take offense at the idea of having to take their shoes off. Is it just here in Ireland these people would refuse or would they actually be ignorant enough to refuse to respect the cultures when abroad as well?

That is ironic that we've come full circle but your 'ignorant' point could just as easily be applied to people in Ireland who insist people take off their shoes, *just* because they do it in other cultures... In other countries, the culture is that women wear burkhas.

We are allowed to have our own culture which in this instance appears to be, incurring the risk of social incidents over the wearing of shoes indoors :)
    Which is clearly a lot more fun...

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,700 ✭✭✭Mountainsandh

Cocobongo wrote: »
    It is actually basic hygiene, god knows what sort of disease or bacteria bottom of your shoes carries

I would say that people who let others walk around their house in the shoes probably only mop the floor once a year

But like Srameen I would argue that really, us shoe wearing dwellers should be DEAD :confused: ?
    or dying ?

How can you explain or justify your stance when evidently, people's health is unaffected ?
    Can't believe how far behind many Irish homes are about these types of small things, which is why it's crazy to see people even take offense at the idea of having to take their shoes off. Is it just here in Ireland these people would refuse or would they actually be ignorant enough to refuse to respect the cultures when abroad as well?

How is it being far behind when there is no factual justification for it ? It's just a cultural thing, sure that's fine, I would reckon that most Irish/European people do go along with other people's cultures in foreign countries.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,480 ✭✭✭wexie

How is it being far behind when there is no factual justification for it ? It's just a cultural thing, sure that's fine, I would reckon that most Irish/European people do go along with other people's cultures in foreign countries.

Clearly you've missed the abundance of medical health professionals all over all of the media appealing for common sense and asking people to please please stop wearing their shoes inside to help stem the tide of the pandemic of e-coli, cholera, leprosy and bubonic plague currently enveloping the developed world (minus Scandinavia and japan where they're clearly doing it right)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,881 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

Lads. It's just shoes off in the house. Usually to keep us from constantly hoovering or mopping. We've mucky winters here. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 779 ✭✭✭Arrival

odyssey06 wrote: »
    That is ironic that we've come full circle but your 'ignorant' point could just as easily be applied to people in Ireland who insist people take off their shoes, *just* because they do it in other cultures... In other countries, the culture is that women wear burkhas.

We are allowed to have our own culture which in this instance appears to be, incurring the risk of social incidents over the wearing of shoes indoors :)
    Which is clearly a lot more fun...

"people in Ireland who insist people take off their shoes, *just* because they do it in other cultures"

Except it's not because of that -- or at least I'd hope not as that is actually pretentious -- but because it makes hygienic sense

John_Rambo wrote: »
    Lads. It's just shoes off in the house. Usually to keep us from constantly hoovering or mopping. We've mucky winters here. :)

See, that's a perfectly fine reason...

I could do with less of the 'if you wear shoes in the house you'll DIE' though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,881 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

wexie wrote: »
    See, that's a perfectly fine reason...

I could do with less of the 'if you wear shoes in the house you'll DIE' though.

Cool! So we're all clear then? :D

John_Rambo wrote: »
    Cool! So we're all clear then? :D

Yup, if you wanna wear shoes in the house, go right ahead.

If you don't, you don't have to.

Either way, don't be a dick to visitors or people you're visiting.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,295 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

"people in Ireland who insist people take off their shoes, *just* because they do it in other cultures"

Except it's not because of that -- or at least I'd hope not as that is actually pretentious -- but because it makes hygienic sense

There are some posts arguing that it makes hygienic sense so obviously I'm exempting them.
    But there are many posts across the thread which point to the fact that other countries do it as a reason why we should do it; but there are just as many countries that have the tradition, as those who don't, and no evidence that one tradition is more hygienic than the other.

In other countries where the national tradition is X, it comes down to "when in Rome do as the Romans..." but Ireland clearly doesn't have that as an established tradition.
    So, within Ireland, it comes down to how far should a guest go in respecting the house rules of the host; and how far should a host go in accomodating the guest.

I don't think it's a black and white thing, which is why I have been challenging a lot of the blanket "thou shalt take off shoes under all circumstances" posts.

I think a lot of factors should be taken into consideration... rural v urban, mucky boots versus not, advance warning or not, providing slippers or covers versus expecting people to walk about in socks, carpets v wooden floors.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,524 ✭✭✭the_pen_turner

i dont understand the hygiene angle.
    if the everyone wears shoes then everybody is kept a safe distance from the floor.
    if everyone takes off their shoes and walks around in their socks then you are garanteed to be incontact with dirt and germs. peoples feet are always dirty and sweety.
    personnaly i would rather have a small amount of dirt on the ground instead of someone elses feet sweat in my feet

• Advertisement

i dont understand the hygiene angle.
    if the everyone wears shoes then everybody is kept a safe distance from the floor.
    if everyone takes off their shoes and walks around in their socks then you are garanteed to be incontact with dirt and germs. peoples feet are always dirty and sweety.
    personnaly i would rather have a small amount of dirt on the ground instead of someone elses feet sweat in my feet

Slippers are a thing

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,975 ✭✭✭✭Mam of 4

Genuine question here .
    For those who take their shoes off inside , if you have house pets , dogs cats , do you still let children down on the floor then ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Mam of 4 wrote: »
    Genuine question here .
    For those who take their shoes off inside , if you have house pets , dogs cats , do you still let children down on the floor then ?

I've seen that umpteen times. Plus, cats walking on worktops where food was subsequently prepared. It makes no sense.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

Slippers are a thing

They are. Good point. Do you bring your own with you though? Do you provide for guests? What bout kids and differing sizes etc? What if you've 6 or 7 mates coming over?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Omackeral wrote: »
    They are. Good point. Do you bring your own with you? Do you provide for guests? What bout kids and differing sizes etc? What if you've 6 or 7 mates coming over?

What sanitising routine have you for the slippers after each use?

Cocobongo wrote: »
    It is actually basic hygiene, god knows what sort of disease or bacteria bottom of your shoes carries

I would say that people who let others walk around their house in the shoes probably only mop the floor once a year

How have I survived at all I wonder. Growing up on a farm, rolling around in all sorts as a child and who Knows what I put in my mouth, handling animals from a young age, I've been shat on by animals more times than some people here have worn shoes in the house it appears (often in the face) and yet I'm alive and perfectly healthy and never get sick (except from a feed of drink :)).

People really need to get over themselves and their OCD germophobia. Imagine the germs on my phone, I was holding it earlier with s1it on my hands and writing this now as I'm eating...will I even make it to the morning :pac:

How have I survived at all I wonder. Growing up on a farm, rolling around in all sorts as a child and who Knows what I put in my mouth, handling animals from a young age, I've been shat on by animals more times than some people here have worn shoes in the house it appears (often in the face) and yet I'm alive and perfectly healthy and never get sick (except from a feed of drink :)).

People really need to get over themselves and their OCD germophobia.

In all fairness, you're not really the man to be giving hygiene advice!
    Nope, still not seeing the need for this ritual of a shower every morning. Every second or third evening does me just fine.
    A few drops of piss, who cares. Two days is perfectly acceptable for boxers.

In all fairness, you're not really the man to be giving hygiene advice!

Good man, you will never get back the time you wasted digging up them posts (which I stand by completely btw).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,975 ✭✭✭✭Mam of 4

They are. Good point. Do you bring your own with you though? Do you provide for guests? What bout kids and differing sizes etc? What if you've 6 or 7 mates coming over?

Geez Mack , you couldn't bring your own slippers , lord knows what germs would be on them !
    Unless you bought new ones everytime you'd go visit :D

Crazy..

• Advertisement

Good man, you will never get back the time you wasted digging up them posts (which I stand by completely btw).

I remembered them straight away from your username actually. Took me about 15 seconds to find them, bout the same amount of time it takes to change a pair of boxers.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,620 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

Guest slippers!

91nEkPoQrtL._AC_UL320_SR250,320_.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,152 ✭✭✭✭KERSPLAT!

Nox, short for noxious :D

• Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭bertsmom

I usually wear my pjs and slippers around the house. I would hate a guest to take their shoes off in my house. I don't want to be looking at their socked or unsocked feet.
    When my friends call over for an overnight visit where we have a few drinks and a takeaway we all get into our pjs and slippers but anyone else should definitely NOT be removing their shoes in my house.
    I have a dog allowed anywhere he chooses downstairs and in wet weather he walks back into the house over a laid down towel to slightly dry his feet.
    I Hoover every day and steam mop once a week.

Edited to add I would never wear guest slippers. I would never put on footwear others have worn before me in someone's house. When buying shoes I wear socks and wouldn't put on anything worn or shabby looking how often are theese house proud warriors replacing their guest slipper? Yuck!

I remembered them straight away from your username actually. Took me about 15 seconds to find them, bout the same amount of time it takes to change a pair of boxers.

15 seconds I don't spend every day and of couse less time washing and drying. Changing every two days is a rarity now anyway, always go longer.

Guest slippers!

91nEkPoQrtL._AC_UL320_SR250,320_.jpg

But do they get boiled or something ?
    Because in the summer, what with people walking around in sandals, it'd be athlete's foot party ! (and warts, and...)

Same if they walk barefoot on your floor (by the hygiene standards aforementioned).

Unless you just have like, 4 friends, and it's always them and just them visiting.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 58,456 ✭✭✭✭ibarelycare

15 seconds I don't spend every day and of couse less time washing and drying. Changing every two days is a rarity now anyway, always go longer.

That’s vile.

I'd like to think it's a wind up because if it's not...

/shudder

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,737 ✭✭✭Yer Da sells Avon

0eNv_f-maxage-0_s-200x150.gif

• Administrators Posts: 54,110 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

It's funny to be discussing Ukraine in this thread because it's actually from visiting Ukraine that I picked up the habit of taking my shoes off and putting on slippers when entering a home. They all have loads of slippers in a closet at their entrances for guests to put on so it's really comfortable. You also then go to the bathroom and give a quick wash to your hands so you can go to the kitchen and stuff your face with their Babushka's cuisine. It was heaven. Can't believe how far behind many Irish homes are about these types of small things, which is why it's crazy to see people even take offense at the idea of having to take their shoes off. Is it just here in Ireland these people would refuse or would they actually be ignorant enough to refuse to respect the cultures when abroad as well?
    Communal slippers?

Gross. Sure ye wouldn't have a notion whose feet have been in those and in what condition!

KERSPLAT! wrote: »
    I'd like to think it's a wind up because if it's not...

/shudder

It's not a wind up, not sure why you would think it is. I don't suffer from OCD like many posters here that's all.

• Advertisement

It's not a wind up, not sure why you would think it is. I don't suffer from OCD basic hygiene like many posters here that's all.

FYP pissy pants.

I don't want to smell of BO or have crusty boxers, that's not OCD it's basic hygiene.

FYP pissy pants.

Princess Pissy Pants :D

awec wrote: »
    Communal slippers?

Gross. Sure ye wouldn't have a notion whose feet have been in those and in what condition!

You don't wear them barefoot. They have socks in Ukraine and hygienic adults wash themselves daily and change their socks daily, so I felt pretty good. Have you ever been bowling? Ice skating? Roller blading? If you have, you'd wear those but not slippers that are only shared with close friends and family? Slippers are easily washed also, you can throw them in the washing machine with clothes. Doesn't require much effort.

And to the other poster, yes I provide slippers for guests. Walking around in socks isn't very comfortable. Slippers are cheap and you can buy them in various sizes according to the people you have in your life that will be visiting. If I'd only 7 people coming over, they'd all have slippers. If I was hosting a party or something, everyone can keep their shoes on since normal people usually clean their homes after a party anyway

It's not a wind up, not sure why you would think it is. I don't suffer from OCD like many posters here that's all.

OCD is a serious and debilitating mental disorder. Showering and changing socks and underwear every day... isn't.

And to the other poster, yes I provide slippers for guests. Walking around in socks isn't very comfortable. Slippers are cheap and you can buy them in various sizes according to the people you have in your life that will be visiting

Or you could just buy a doormat.

Or you could just buy a doormat.

I have one. That's where shoes are left so guests can feel more comfortable by slipping on the slippers next to it

I have one. That's where shoes are left

What would you do if someone in a wheelchair was calling over? You gonna let them roll around your gaff? Would you make a 90 year old pensioner get the shoes off?

What would you do if someone in a wheelchair was calling over? You gonna let them roll around your gaff?

That's an unrealistic and irrelevant scenario for me as I know nobody in a wheelchair. No 90 year old pensioners either

You don't wear them barefoot. They have socks in Ukraine and hygienic adults wash themselves daily and change their socks daily, so I felt pretty good. Have you ever been bowling? Ice skating? Roller blading? If you have, you'd wear those but not slippers that are only shared with close friends and family? Slippers are easily washed also, you can throw them in the washing machine with clothes. Doesn't require much effort.

And to the other poster, yes I provide slippers for guests. Walking around in socks isn't very comfortable. Slippers are cheap and you can buy them in various sizes according to the people you have in your life that will be visiting. If I'd only 7 people coming over, they'd all have slippers. If I was hosting a party or something, everyone can keep their shoes on since normal people usually clean their homes after a party anyway

Tbh the whole ordeal to get into your home would really put me off, I couldn't feel comfortable inside, it would feel like the shoes off-slippers on were the first hurdle, and that other stringent possibly unspoken (even worse) rules would follow.
    I'd be on edge thinking : maybe I shouldn't touch this, I shouldn't leave my cup there, I don't know what to do with my coat, is it ok to sit like that ? is that cushion just an ornament ? ...

Fair enough when you're visiting a very different nation, presumably one travels to discover other cultures with respect, but in Ireland, that's just hardship.

• Advertisement

KERSPLAT! wrote: »
    I don't want to smell of BO or have crusty boxers, that's not OCD it's basic hygiene.

As usual this is the issue, there is no BO or crusty boxers the very same as there is no plague caused by wearing shoes in the house. It's just a very wrong assumption by many people who's brains are so conditioned to think otherwise they are blind to reality.

That's an unrealistic and irrelevant scenario for me as I know nobody in a wheelchair. No 90 year old pensioners either

Just hypothetically. Or if one of your friends ended up on crutches for example.

Tbh the whole ordeal to get into your home would really put me off, I couldn't feel comfortable inside, it would feel like the shoes off-slippers on were the first hurdle, and that other stringent possibly unspoken (even worse) rules would follow.
    I'd be on edge thinking : maybe I shouldn't touch this, I shouldn't leave my cup there, I don't know what to do with my coat, is it ok to sit like that ? is that cushion just an ornament ? ...

Fair enough when you're visiting a very different nation, presumably one travels to discover other cultures with respect, but in Ireland, that's just hardship.

Lmfao, popping your shoes off and stepping into a pair of slippers is a whole ordeal. Lads some of you are absolute exaggeraters, it's actually frightening to think how judgemental some of you must be when visiting someone's home if you get so rhiled up over such a basic and easy to follow concept. As for everything else you've mentioned, you don't know me well enough but if you did you wouldn't have those issues, it's not like that at all for guests, it's literally just a matter of stepping out of 'outdoor' shoes and into 'indoor' ones which are actually more comfortable to wear

Just hypothetically. Or if one of your friends ended up on crutches for example.

I'd make allowances accordingly, during situations like that you could give a quick mop to the floor if you're bothered. It's not like you have to be an overpowering nutcase about it, it's literally as simple as being like "here's some slippers for you to throw on", they put them on, they realise they're actually more comfortable than wearing shoes anyway, and then carry on doing whatever you'd planned to while hanging out

As usual this is the issue, there is no BO or crusty boxers the very same as there is no plague caused by wearing shoes in the house. It's just a very wrong assumption by many people who's brains are so conditioned to think otherwise they are blind to reality.

If you don't shower for 24/48+ hours then there is BO, whether you believe it or not. Do you live and work with other people!? Not sure how someone could put up with that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,158 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

Lmfao, popping your shoes off and stepping into a pair of slippers is a whole ordeal. Lads some of you are absolute exaggeraters, it's actually frightening to think how judgemental some of you must be when visiting someone's home if you get so rhiled up over such a basic and easy to follow concept. As for everything else you've mentioned, you don't know me well enough but if you did you wouldn't have those issues, it's not like that at all for guests, it's literally just a matter of stepping out of 'outdoor' shoes and into 'indoor' ones which are actually more comfortable to wear

Well I can't wear shoes or slippers without an arch support so slippers wouldn't be more comfortable for me

• Closed Accounts Posts: 803 ✭✭✭BelovedAunt

The reality is if I go more than 24 hours without showering my hair is greasy and my armpits stink. I dare say this is the reality for the majority of people, you included.

As usual this is the issue, there is no BO or crusty boxers

Just a few drops of piss. Sweat too. Festering for days. Yeah, that's not gonna smell.

tenor.gif

Your underwear is in contact with the parts of your body where piss and sh1t and farts come from. No matter how much you wipe after going to the toilet (and especially considering you only shower every few days), your underwear is going to be somewhat smelly and dirty after the 16/17 hours you wear them for the day. Not showering every day, that’s fine, some people can get away with that and don’t suffer from BO. But there’s no excuse for an adult living in a first world country not to change their underwear on a daily basis.

It is an ordeal, especially when like myself for example, you have psoriatic arthritis, but I would guess that for a lot of people even without it, it would feel just as much a hassle.

In my house guests just step in as they are, there's no faffing about on mats prior to entering, there's not an environment so precious that they may contaminate it.

Call that exaggerating if you like, it's how a lot of people on this thread seem to feel too.

• Advertisement

The reality is if I go more than 24 hours without showering my hair is greasy and my armpits stink. I dare say this is the reality for the majority of people, you included.

We become accustomed to our own scent too so it's highly possible that someone can smell and not even realise it so it's best to not take much of a chance to be known as a smelly person. Showering and putting on clean underwear and socks feels so good anyways, why wouldn't someone enjoy doing that daily

It is an ordeal, especially when like myself for example, you have psoriatic arthritis, but I would guess that for a lot of people even without it, it would feel just as much a hassle.

In my house guests just step in as they are, there's no faffing about on mats prior to entering, there's not an environment so precious that they may contaminate it.

Call that exaggerating if you like, it's how a lot of people on this thread seem to feel too.

Yeah I'm young and so is everyone that visits besides my parents so there's no issues like that. Maybe when I'm older I'll stop caring, especially if I can afford a cleaner regularly

Advertisement