Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Shoes off.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,020 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

Graces7 wrote: »
    Not talking re sterile. Cats and dogs can carry eg toxoplasmosis that is easily carried in without knowing it on outdoor shoes. From residue of their poo etc. Can be fatal to kids and cause eg miscarriages to women .

google toxoplasmosis/shoes.

If that's the case most people are screwed. They spend house at work wearing shoes, time in the car, shops, pubs, restaurants, kids in school wear shoes also.
    Get a door mat wipe your feet and if theirs anything on them you generally smell it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,161 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

:eek: Not true.
    Mainly in a healthy adult it is a mild disease or not even noticed

https://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/toxoplasmosis/symptoms-causes/syc-20356249

If you're generally healthy, not pregnant, and have been diagnosed with toxoplasmosis, you probably won't need any treatment other than conservative management. If you're pregnant or have lowered immunity, you may need medical management to avoid severe complications. The best approach, though, is prevention.

Symptoms
    Most healthy people who are infected with toxoplasmosis have no signs or symptoms and aren't aware that they're infected. Some people, however, develop signs and symptoms similar to those of the flu, includin
    g:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,700 ✭✭✭Mountainsandh

:eek: Not true.

Yes true.

Quote:

Most healthy people who are infected with toxoplasmosis have no signs or symptoms and aren't aware that they're infected. Some people, however, develop signs and symptoms similar to those of the flu,

https://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/toxoplasmosis/symptoms-causes/syc-20356249

Just one quote as difficult from this device. Hundreds more.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

It killed poor Tommy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

The sheer hypocrisy of people talking about taking shoes off in the house and yet letting their dogs and cats wander all over the place, is just beyond belief.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

The sheer hypocrisy of people talking about taking shoes off in the house and yet letting their dogs and cats wander all over the place, is just beyond belief.
    I don't agree. Dogs and cats aren't nearly as dirty as outdoor shoes.

Ultimately the reason we don't wear shoes in the house is because if we did, there'd be streaks of muck up the stairs carpets, big muddy footprints down the hall when it's raining, and stains at the bottom of doors and couches.

It's not really about sterile hygiene, as others point out above. It's basically the difference between having to sweep/hoover/clean floors every day or every couple of days. If people are walking up and down the hall routinely in shoes, then you're going to have to at least sweep the floor in the hall every single day.

I wonder if the trend to take shoes off is related to carpet going out of fashion. On a wood floor, dirt is far more obvious, and if you are walking around in socks or bare feet, you get bits of dirt and stuff constantly on your feet, it's really annoying. But if everyone takes their shoes off, the floors look cleaner and are nicer to walk on without shoes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

Ok so do you WASH in between showers? I mean like every morning? Maybe we are misjudging?

Says he uses deodorant/anti perspirant and that ties him over for 2 or 3 days. A blast of lynx under the armpits or, as we used to call it, a Ballymun bath.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,889 ✭✭✭✭The Moldy Gowl

Imagine how crusty his jocks are where his balls rest.

3 days of crusty rock solid festered ball sweat. At that stage they wpuld be able to stand by themselves.

Ok so do you WASH in between showers? I mean like every morning? Maybe we are misjudging?

No.

Exactly its beyond idiotic. You have people talking about bringing in traces of dirt on their shoes (oh but even if you cant see it its there) while having dogs sprawled on their couches rubbing their arse on cushions and licking people faces after licking their arse. Worse again people who let cats inside and have them up on counters etc. If you let an animal in the house then any rule around outdoor shoes indoors is beyond ridiculous.
    seamus wrote: »
    Ultimately the reason we don't wear shoes in the house is because if we did, there'd be streaks of muck up the stairs carpets, big muddy footprints down the hall when it's raining, and stains at the bottom of doors and couches.

It's not really about sterile hygiene, as others point out above. It's basically the difference between having to sweep/hoover/clean floors every day or every couple of days. If people are walking up and down the hall routinely in shoes, then you're going to have to at least sweep the floor in the hall every single day.

Where are you picking all this muck and dirt? The assumption is we are talking about street shoes not working boots or wellingtons. Even living on a farm the shoes worn going to town, going to work etc don't get dirty or mucky. Obvioulsy you dont wear you wellingtons into the house but on the other hand I dont wear my runners in muck.

We have a cleaner come in every two weeks and aside from a spillage there is no sweeping, hoovering or floor washing done between the cleaners visits and the floor are never dirty or mucky in the slightest despite wearing outdoor shoes all over the house.
    Imagine how crusty his jocks are where his balls rest.

3 days of crusty rock solid festered ball sweat. At that stage they wpuld be able to stand by themselves.

I've no idea what this "cursty" is that I keep reading about as Ive never experienced it.

• Advertisement

When you change jocks next time, have a smell of the seat of your jocks and let me know if they have an odour

I got over your showers ages ago. If you drive to work and sit on your arse all day you could probably be grand and didn't gel your hair. I wouldn't be with a girl who did it either. Wouldn't fancy a sweaty gee or a bang of arse when going at it from behind.
    Wouldn't like a bang of ball getting up her nose or spreading knob cheese on a cracker when she is going at it either.

If you came to any of our houses , the next thread would be do you hose down your visitors.

Have a few extra showers a week, treat yourself. You will feel better after

spreading knob cheese on a cracker

You are truly the Oscar Wilde of Boards.

When you change jocks next time, have a smell of the seat of your jocks and let me know if they have an odour

Burying your head in your jocks is hardly a good measure of anything, when was the last time a colleague at work came up to you are requested they bury their nose in your jocks for example?

No thanks and no I wouldn't feel any different except having expelled effort in having needless extra showers (along with wasting gas or electricity to heat the water etc)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,524 ✭✭✭the_pen_turner

I got over your showers ages ago. If you drive to work and sit on your arse all day you could probably be grand and didn't gel your hair. I wouldn't be with a girl who did it either. Wouldn't fancy a sweaty gee or a bang of arse when going at it from behind.
    Wouldn't like a bang of ball getting up her nose or spreading knob cheese on a cracker when she is going at it either.

If you came to any of our houses , the next thread would be do you hose down your visitors.

Great username. Very apt.
    You have a great way with words. You can nearly taste the stink from here

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,524 ✭✭✭the_pen_turner

No.

Exactly its beyond idiotic. You have people talking about bringing in traces of dirt on their shoes (oh but even if you cant see it its there) while having dogs sprawled on their couches rubbing their arse on cushions and licking people faces after licking their arse. Worse again people who let cats inside and have them up on counters etc. If you let an animal in the house then any rule around outdoor shoes indoors is beyond ridiculous.

Where are you picking all this muck and dirt? The assumption is we are talking about street shoes not working boots or wellingtons. Even living on a farm the shoes worn going to town, going to work etc don't get dirty or mucky. Obvioulsy you dont wear you wellingtons into the house but on the other hand I dont wear my runners in muck.

We have a cleaner come in every two weeks and aside from a spillage there is no sweeping, hoovering or floor washing done between the cleaners visits and the floor are never dirty or mucky in the slightest despite wearing outdoor shoes all over the house.

I've no idea what this "cursty" is that I keep reading about as Ive never experienced it.

I agree with you 100 % except for the jocks and socks. A fresh set after a days work is really nice
    Very little of the germs in a house comes from shoes.
    I doesn't matter how clean your pet is , they are still a lot worse than a normal pair of shoes

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,188 ✭✭✭Malayalam

You could make a fortune with these magic dirt-repelling floors and jocks of yours.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,825 ✭✭✭LirW

Especially the kitchen, I wanna know how kitchen floors stay spotless without need for hoovering or sweeping for 2 weeks. I'll buy 3!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭Warper

I hate this, the people that insist on guests taking their shoes are normally arseholes anyways

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,331 ✭✭✭Keyzer

spreading knob cheese on a cracker...

This made tea come out of my nose... hahaha

Warper wrote: »
    I hate this, the people that insist on guests taking their shoes are normally arseholes anyways

At least we are clean and comfortable arseholes. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,878 ✭✭✭heroics

Malayalam wrote: »
    At least we are clean and comfortable arseholes. :)

I'm more comfortable in my shoes/runners and in fact put them on at home when I get dressed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

seamus wrote: »
    I don't agree. Dogs and cats aren't nearly as dirty as outdoor shoes.

I wonder if the trend to take shoes off is related to carpet going out of fashion. On a wood floor, dirt is far more obvious, and if you are walking around in socks or bare feet, you get bits of dirt and stuff constantly on your feet, it's really annoying. But if everyone takes their shoes off, the floors look cleaner and are

nicer to walk on without shoes.

Agree totally. And we are accustomed to our own feet and our own residents feet. And folk do not walk abut in bare feet.

Outside dirt is different ;)It really is. OPs!( other people's) And in such a wet climate too...

heroics wrote: »
    I'm more comfortable in my shoes/runners and in fact put them on at home when I get dressed.

Me too . I feel much more comfortable with the support of a lace up shoe

I agree with you 100 % except for the jocks and socks. A fresh set after a days work is really nice
    Very little of the germs in a house comes from shoes.
    I doesn't matter how clean your pet is , they are still a lot worse than a normal pair of shoes

My dog and cats wash their feet etc methodically when they come inside. Meticuously clean. Wash your shoes as they do their feet and we will be fine so

Besides their feet are small not like our great clonking things.

Keyzer wrote: »
    This made tea come out of my nose... hahaha

I had never heard of this before and it took me a while to understand .. :D

LirW wrote: »
    Especially the kitchen, I wanna know how kitchen floors stay spotless without need for hoovering or sweeping for 2 weeks. I'll buy 3!

Easy, his OH does it all when he is out. ..... maybe moves his underwear and replaces it with clean while he is asleep

BUT NEVER WASHING?

Now that is..... Even I can do that and I have no bath or shower here . Tap, water,soap

If i go to someone else's house, their rules matter. A ungracious visitor ? No

My dog and cats wash their feet etc methodically when they come inside. Meticuously clean. Wash your shoes as they do their feet and we will be fine so

Besides their feet are small not like our great clonking things.

How do you get a cat to wash his paws ? Mine would sneer at me and walk right past me and sit on the warm spot on the couch ? :pac:

iamwhoiam wrote: »
    How do you get a cat to wash his paws ? Mine would sneer at me and walk right past me and sit on the warm spot on the couch ? :pac:

I am the cats's mother!!!!!!!!!

Actually, seriously,they just do and i have a thick old towel out for them in case.

I am the cats's mother !!!.

Made me laugh ! Do you give them " the look " !!

My dog and cats wash their feet etc methodically when they come inside.

Are they Disney characters by any chance?

• Advertisement

iamwhoiam wrote: »
    Made me laugh ! Do you give them " the look " !!

hmmmmmm. lol.... These are amazing cats. obedient in many ways.. And they dont get fed until they have washed their feet or let me rub them clean... I AM BOSSCAT

Omackeral wrote: »

see them on the happy thread in person :)

Sneak peak inside Graces7's gaff

33a65bf1136d712e015663702f2e6496.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 2,108 ✭✭✭Electric Sheep

Except the yanks don’t take their shoes off. So bad analogy. Nor is the rise in showering related to yanks coming over with their crazy ideas about showers, while our showers lay unused. The increase in showering is because we installed showers. Baths were a weekly event. Showers daily.
    A lot of Yanks DO take their shoes off when entering the house. If you ever experienced a New England winter, you would definitely take off your shoes rather than track in snow all over the floor. That is why mud rooms are popular in the US and Canada.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

A lot of Yanks DO take their shoes off when entering the house. If you ever experienced a New England winter, you would definitely take off your shoes rather than track in snow all over the floor. That is why mud rooms are popular in the US and Canada.

True. Been there done that. But they'll traipse through the house in outdoor footwear all summer long.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,480 ✭✭✭wexie

True. Been there done that. But they'll traipse through the house in outdoor footwear all summer long.

Yup, did that in Canada, but that's not a germ thing it's a keeping the floors dry and not trudging snow everywhere thing, so really more comparable to us not wearing wellies indoors

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,325 ✭✭✭✭rob316

WE take off our shoes in my grandmothers farm but that's because we are covered in cow sheit. I always take the small fellas shoes when he comes into the house as he climbs on all the furniture. Other than that no I'd never ask someone to take off their shoes in my house.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,325 ✭✭✭✭rob316

LMAO :D

Cats are filthy things, I had one unfortunately. **** in a box then cover it in cat litter, than walk on your kitchen table, kitchen counter etc. Dogs arent any cleaner but they tend to stay on the floor.

Sneak peak inside Graces7's gaff

33a65bf1136d712e015663702f2e6496.gif

I wish.. sadly too disabled now to be like that... Ah well lovely thought and bless and thank your kind heart!

• Advertisement

rob316 wrote: »
    LMAO :D

Cats are filthy things, I had one unfortunately. **** in a box then cover it in cat litter, than walk on your kitchen table, kitchen counter etc. Dogs arent any cleaner but they tend to stay on the floor.

Not! Mine go outside unless too stormy and the tray is nowhere near the kitchen .. Hate the Irish way of not letting cats in the house. At least he knew where to go..

And they wash all the time, not like some folk here... ;)

And a quick bleach spray?

ah they are so worth it! For the love,, and the rodent control....

And porches here.I miss that.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 300 ✭✭garbo speaks

I like looking at the feet of hot women.

A sensible pastime.

Men's feet are generally not as endearing though. Unfortunately :(

feet.jpg?w=270&h=185

That's more manky than noxs skidmarked jocks

That's more manky than noxs skidmarked jocks

They're not skidmarked, they're pissy.

• Advertisement

Not in my house they don't! Many of my coworkers are South Asian and none of them wear shoes in the house either. Went to an Eid party in a coworkers house, we all took off our shoes at the front door.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,825 ✭✭✭LirW

Not in my house they don't! Many of my coworkers are South Asian and none of them wear shoes in the house either. Went to an Eid party in a coworkers house, we all took off our shoes at the front door.

Nah, not when you invite a good, proper Irish person, they walk in to the Eid with their mucky wellies and when there's a slightest remark about that he'll give out how you have to respect him as a visitor and you're stressing him which is bad for his mental health.
    Also, it's good for the hosts kids anyway so he's doing them a favour!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,700 ✭✭✭Mountainsandh

hmmmmmm. lol.... These are amazing cats. obedient in many ways.. And they dont get fed until they have washed their feet or let me rub them clean... I AM BOSSCAT

I dry the cats' paws (and body) when they come in wet too :) The old guy nearly asks to be dried at this stage, but the new crazy one is still a bit unsure of what I'm doing...
    The dog positively begs to be dried when he comes in wet, he acts as if it's all my fault !

But we still let our guests step in in their shoes :)

wexie wrote: »
    Yup, did that in Canada, but that's not a germ thing it's a keeping the floors dry and not trudging snow everywhere thing, so really more comparable to us not wearing wellies indoors

The salt and other chemicals they put on the pavement to treat the snow do not do good things to hardwood floors.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭AwaitYourReply

The salt and other chemicals they put on the pavement to treat the snow do not do good things to hardwood floors.

Interesting point although; the frequency of lying snow in Ireland which was a major obstacle for many people situated in certain areas of the country around the start of March is thankfully the exception rather than an annual winter weather occurrence in this country. Met Éireann and historians reminded us of the previous heavy snow drifts that brought the country to a standstill from the winter of 1982 which was 36 years previous. I suspect the salt grit on roads is not good for vehicles like cars either as apparently it used cause rust which was often a negative if people were considering buying imported used cars in countries where traditionally more salting of roads took place in comparison to Ireland.

• Advertisement
Advertisement