Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Shoes off.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,297 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Keep your damn shoes on.

Mv5dCk0.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,083 ✭✭✭juneg

Good memory you have there, long time ago now bazz

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,297 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

I bet that guy is still hanging upside down by his shoes in Gutomino bay. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,108 ✭✭✭Electric Sheep

Interesting point although; the frequency of lying snow in Ireland which was a major obstacle for many people situated in certain areas of the country around the start of March is thankfully the exception rather than an annual winter weather occurrence in this country. Met Éireann and historians reminded us of the previous heavy snow drifts that brought the country to a standstill from the winter of 1982 which was 36 years previous. I suspect the salt grit on roads is not good for vehicles like cars either as apparently it used cause rust which was often a negative if people were considering buying imported used cars in countries where traditionally more salting of roads took place in comparison to Ireland.

I remember the snow of the winter of 82 well, I was working in Dublin at the time. No buses, no milk and precious little coal to be found. We thought it was huge, which seems funny to me now as we see that sort of thing around there several times every winter.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,166 ✭✭✭Are Am Eye

Maybe the onus should be on the host to accomodate the contaminant guest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,750 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

my3cents wrote: »
    Its simple if I'm expected to take my shoes off I turn around and walk away.

Lifes to short to bother with people that live in houses that are so clean they won't allow you to wear outdoor shoes inside.

I understand Cent,but if you,like I had, a visitor dragging in a heavy load of Labrador dog shytt all over your gaff, then you might change your mind.

Bang was there for weeks and I had to dump a very expensive imported rug.

Not a nice experience.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,722 ✭✭✭nice_guy80

With a decontaminating chamber ?:pac:

Sorry, couldn't resist. :o

feck
    must talk to the architect again...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Where are you picking all this muck and dirt?
    Outside? Even on a dry day, you drag in little tiny stones and stuff from concrete surfaces, little bits of muck on the side of your shoes that can't come off on a mat, bits of grass if someone has been cutting it. On a wet day, everything is just soaked, big muddy footprints everywhere, no mat can dry the soles of shoes.

Then you're relaxing that evening with your shoes off and you can't walk anywhere without getting stuff all over your feet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 82 ✭✭Parkman77

Shoes off always.
    My house, my rules! 😜

• Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭defrule

Think of urine residue from going into public toilets.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

bazz26 wrote: »
    Keep your damn shoes on.

Mv5dCk0.gif

That is the funniest thing I have seen in years!!! Thankyou!

defrule wrote: »
    Think of urine residue from going into public toilets.

I would rather not, thank you ;)

I dry the cats' paws (and body) when they come in wet too :) The old guy nearly asks to be dried at this stage, but the new crazy one is still a bit unsure of what I'm doing...
    The dog positively begs to be dried when he comes in wet, he acts as if it's all my fault !

But we still let our guests step in in their shoes :)

two of mine are longhaired... The rain gathers.. I throw a big towel over the boy and roll him in it.. they love the physical contact

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,252 ✭✭✭FTA69

I've been asked to take my shoes off once in about five years in Ireland or England I'd say. I'm genuinely shocked at the amount of shoe-removers in this thread.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,105 ✭✭✭Trigger Happy

You can leave your shoes on downstairs in our home. It's all wood/tiles and easily cleaned. But upstairs is all carpet and no shoes allowd.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,480 ✭✭✭wexie

But upstairs is all carpet and no shoes allowd.

BUT....and this is the important question....is that because

1) you want to keep your carpet decent

or

2) you're worried about succumbing to Rift Valley Fever, Cholera, Leprosy or Zomby-itis (that apparently you can all catch from shoe soles)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,295 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

You can leave your shoes on downstairs in our home. It's all wood/tiles and easily cleaned. But upstairs is all carpet and no shoes allowd.

Sold! When can all us indoor shoe wearers come over?

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

wexie wrote: »

or

2) you're worried about succumbing to Rift Valley Fever, Cholera, Leprosy or Zomby-itis (that apparently you can all catch from shoe soles)

Multi purpose/ fits all sizes ;) and no one suggested any of that

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,070 ✭✭✭Franz Von Peppercorn

FTA69 wrote: »
    I've been asked to take my shoes off once in about five years in Ireland or England I'd say. I'm genuinely shocked at the amount of shoe-removers in this thread.

Yes. I often wonder how representative AH is. Not very I think. Not just on this issue.

• Advertisement

Yes. I often wonder how representative AH is. Not very I think. Not just on this issue.

of course it isn;t and that is fine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 518 ✭✭✭keith_sixteen

_Dara_ wrote: »
    Yes, exactly.

And there is such inconsistency. Nobody licks the floor but people are like "OMG, shoes on a floor, gross" whilst pawing their most likely filthy smartphones and laptop keyboards and handling coins that have been who-knows-where.

Yes, smartphones, coins keyboards are filthy. However, it's convenient to wash your hands regularly, not quite as convenient with the floors.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,105 ✭✭✭Trigger Happy

wexie wrote: »

or

Keeps the carpet nice and in good nick and smell free.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭_Dara_

Yes, smartphones, coins keyboards are filthy. However, it's convenient to wash your hands regularly, not quite as convenient with the floors.

I doubt people wash their hands as much as they need to when touching these items. Meanwhile, how often does the floor get touched?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,083 ✭✭✭juneg

Well I washed my floors and hoovered carpets on the strength of his thread yesterday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,750 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

Keeps the carpet nice and in good nick and smell free.

Tip, dont let the cat onto the carpet after a big breakfast, they have a habit of
    up chucking the lot,especially if the got milk too.

Hard to get the whiffe out.

Just a tip for you.

• Advertisement

FTA69 wrote: »

Yeah, it’s nowhere near the norm in Ireland.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 921 ✭✭✭na1

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭CruelCoin

Only reasons why my shoes come off when I come home are 1 - my cat demands to sleep on the things, and 2 - the dog needs proper access to give my feet a good lickin'. Makes me purr something awful so it does.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 518 ✭✭✭keith_sixteen

_Dara_ wrote: »
    I doubt people wash their hands as much as they need to when touching these items. Meanwhile, how often does the floor get touched?

You do wash your hands at crucial junctures. Before cooking, eating etc. Floor is touched plenty by kids. And me playing with them.

It's not about having freakishly clean standards. It's simply dragging less dirt through the house.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,057 ✭✭✭.......

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement

You do wash your hands at crucial junctures. Before cooking, eating etc. Floor is touched plenty by kids. And me playing with them.

It's not about having freakishly clean standards. It's simply dragging less dirt through the house.

But it’s the cross contamination thing. The floor might be dirty but how much of that dirt is transferred? Whereas your hands regularly touching other filthy household items is much more of an issue. You might wash your hands before cooking but how many things have you touched before that that you could touch post-handwashing but pre-cooking?

I agree that freakish cleaning standards aren’t required. But not being anal about removing shoes is part of that. It makes no sense to be bothered by it whilst handling filthy household items or letting your cat walk across the kitchen counter or whatever. It’s inconsistent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,913 ✭✭✭v638sg7k1a92bx

There seems to be an increase in the shoes off policy in Ireland in recent years, my anecdotal evidence is that it is ore prevalent in non Irish families. I find myself in these scenarios when being invited over to kids birthday parties but was caught off guard this Christmas when invited over to a friend of my OH. I had my suspicions because the family wasn't from Ireland and even asked my OH to find out in advance if it was a shoes off house as I have my own policy of finding out and if it is a shoes off policy then I won't go.
    Does anyone else find this utterly ridiculous and rude to ask guests to remove their shoes the instant they arrive at your home while standing in your front porch? Not to mention, many of these houses you enter and completely cluttered with junk and kids toys all over the place! Maybe concentrate on tidying your home before you ask invited guests to remove their shoes.

Seriously, if you have a shoes off policy in your family that's fine but to ask invited guests to remove their shoes when they arrive at the front door and then be presented with a pair of battered hand me down slippers to shuffle around in? Please, be better.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 327 ✭✭Raheem Euro

Would this keep everyone happy.

Pack of 100, plastic shoe covers for 4 quid.

You get to keep your shoes on and also avoid contaminating other people's lovely clean floors.

If it makes you feel better, any time no one's looking you can spit randomly around their home.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,365 ✭✭✭ceadaoin.

I never wear shoes in the house, it's weird tbh. Most people offer to take them off if they notice but I don't ask them to and usually say they don't have to and leave it up to them.

I think the rude thing is turning down an invitation just because you'll have to take your shoes off! It's hardly a big deal

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,229 ✭✭✭Sam Quentin

No Smoking: fair enough cool..
    But take your shoes off..
    What kind of innocent thick egit thinks it's 'grand' to tell people this!?
    Mr & Mrs BUCKET :-))))))))))

There are shops and classrooms in Vietnam with a shoes-off policy.

Personally, I even hate to put my shoes on at the couch before leaving since I'm walking with them on inside.

Not sure why anyone would mind taking them off. It's so much more comfortable not wearing shoes in a house.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,655 ✭✭✭✭Tokyo

There are shops and classrooms in Vietnam with a shoes-off policy.

Not just Vietnam - almost all of SE Asia has a shoes off indoors policy. Many homes will have house slippers or similar, with pairs left out for guests too.

I live in SEA, so this is the norm for me. Coming back home for the Christmas, it feels odd to wear shoes indoors, but the amount of absolute filth my feet picks up within five minutes of walking around the house is unbelievable. I'll certainly be having a no shoes in the house policy, should I ever move back to Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 354 ✭✭AvonEnniskerry

Myself, my husband and the kids would not wear shoes in the house. And I would expect my kids to take off their shoes in someone else's house not to be trawling dirt through the house. I would generally offer to remove my shoes or follow suit of what I know they'd prefer. In my own house I never ask any visitors to but I'd certainly prefer it.

In my own house it never bothered me until I had children. Crawlers and floor play etc motivated it. But that said I would never expect anyone to at a party - There's food and toys strewn all over the floor. The clean up is inevitable anyway in that case.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,731 ✭✭✭jam_mac_jam

I don't wear shoes in the house. I don't ask people to take theirs off. I think that's a bit rude to be honest unless its your family as in most houses you don't have to. I don't mind in other people's houses if that's what they prefer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

This surprisingly got very heated on the last thread a few months ago. People getting really personal and all!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭Zorya

Omackeral wrote: »
    This surprisingly got very heated on the last thread a few months ago. People getting really personal and all!

Yes a memorably combative thread. I'm not even going there in this one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,257 ✭✭✭✭flazio

Mostly wood and tile floors in my home so leave the shoes on.

• Registered Users Posts: 554 ✭✭✭Fiftyfilthy

Always take my own shoes of straight away when entering my home
    For visitors, I never ask

Regarding myself visiting, I’ve no problem taking my shoes off

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,014 ✭✭✭Eggs For Dinner

Don't take your shoes off if you come in to my house. I don't want to be smelling your sweaty socks while you are here and after you leave.!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,264 ✭✭✭✭jester77

It's not even a consideration to leave shoes on here, everyone takes them off. No one wants dirt from outside dragged around the house. Plus you wouldn't get the warm feels of the underfloor heating if you left them on anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭castor 1

It’s more hygienic to take the shoes off at the door.
    You don’t want to be bringing in dirt with small amounts of dog excrement, spittle, grit, crushed bugs etc and spreading it around on the carpets.
    Bring a clean pair of socks to put over your ‘everyday socks’.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,652 ✭✭✭✭fits

Shoes off in our house but I don’t ask visitors to. Although I’d prefer if they did. Lived in a Nordic country for years and if you wear snowy shoes into a house it’s really messy. Find it odd to wear shoes in a house now.

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭bsloepro

I can see their point if they have young kids going around on hands and knees. I don’t however in my house so do as you please

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭The Bishop Basher

I don’t ask people to remove their shoes but I have a friend from Singapore who has a no shoes policy and I’ve no issue at all taking my shoes off out of respect for her and her home.

I’m really not seeing the issue here tbh.

Surely it’s just basic manners when entering a house with a no shoes policy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,844 ✭✭✭✭somesoldiers

If you have a baby crawling around picking up and eating everything it finds then it’s very unhygienic to have people where the same shoes they do outside. My Mrs banned shoes while ours were small and while they are no longer crawling most regular visitors will still leave theirs at the door, if they don’t we don’t make a fuss

Advertisement