Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Anniversary Mass

• 12-04-2018 8:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 17

I don't know what to do. My dad's Anniversary is coming up soon and I nor my family attend mass and haven't done for years. The thing is my dad did attend when he was alive and loved it especially as he was part of the choir.

I am torn between wanting to do this for my dad's memory but feeling a hypocrite only attending mass for my dad. Half of me feels like getting the mass said, but not attending and remaining true to myself, but then the other half feels I am letting my dad down by not attending his own anniversary mass.

Then there are his friends who will wonder why no mass was said or wonder why no one turned up for his mass. I've never felt do torn over something. Any suggestions would be great. I love my dad and that will never change, but I honestly don't know what to do for the best.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,026 ✭✭✭kelly1

I would say, for your dad's sake, organize the Mass and forget your own feelings on the subject. Be selfless about it in other words.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 a voice in mayo

kelly1 wrote: »
    I would say, for your dad's sake, organize the Mass and forget your own feelings on the subject. Be selfless about it in other words.

Thanks for your reply. I am trying to be selfless but it's a bit hard when I feel so hypocritical attending mass with the whole family in tow...especially when we never attend normally. It really doesn't take away from my own memories of Dad. Am I just getting the mass for the regulars to pray or to show appearance...is either the right thing to honour my beautiful Dad? I guess I'll just get the mass said and attend. My Dad's Anniversary is midweek and no mass is on until Sunday...should I get mass said Sunday before his anniversary or Sunday after his anniversary?...don't know which to book for.

• Registered Users Posts: 789 ✭✭✭jimd2

Thanks for your reply. I am trying to be selfless but it's a bit hard when I feel so hypocritical attending mass with the whole family in tow...especially when we never attend normally. It really doesn't take away from my own memories of Dad. Am I just getting the mass for the regulars to pray or to show appearance...is either the right thing to honour my beautiful Dad? I guess I'll just get the mass said and attend. My Dad's Anniversary is midweek and no mass is on until Sunday...should I get mass said Sunday before his anniversary or Sunday after his anniversary?...don't know which to book for.

It doesnt matter. Speak to the priest about it. There may be another anniversary on on one of the Sundays.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,592 ✭✭✭Hoboo

Then there are his friends who will wonder why no mass was said or wonder why no one turned up for his mass.

Do it for him and his mates, turn up, say hello, you might get some comfort out of it if nothing else. Even tell the priest you're not practicing but you'd like to do it for them, he'll understand, they're mostly actually sound (from my experience anyhow)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,045 ✭✭✭Gorgeousgeorge

I am not a devout catholic but i do believe in god and prayer.

So i do go to months minds anniversaries etc and pray for the departed even though i do not attend sunday mass every week. If your like me i see no reason not too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,804 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

You are beating yourself up unnecessarily. I don't see any hypocrisy in attending an anniversary mass if you are not a Christian, or not a religious believer, or not normally a churchgoer. Your Dad was all of those things, and the anniversary mass commemorates him. I don't see a problem with your participating in the spirit of remembering and celebrating your father, and his values, and the things that were important to him.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 a voice in mayo

Thank you all for your time and replies I appreciate it. I'll get the mass said.

Advertisement