Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Car insurance hike following house move.

Options
  • 13-04-2018 12:11am
    Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭

Has anyone else experienced this? Just moving in to Knocknacarra, have three months left on my policy, €45 increase. I'm moving from Rahoon too, it was the last thing I expected.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,377 ✭✭✭fergiesfolly

I've heard of it happening, but it does seem very unfair.
    Insurance companies seem to deem any and everything an opportunity to hike prices.

You could ask for a breakdown of costs involved in raising your premium, just to see what excuse they're using.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,812 ✭✭✭Addle

Higher claim rate in knocknacarra than rahoon?
    I'm familiar with the difference in claim rates between counties, but I didn't know that there's variety within counties/cities.
    I use Galway county address for insurance as my home county address makes my policy more expensive.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,540 ✭✭✭sgthighway

That sucks. There is a hell of a lot more people living there than Rahoon so obviously enough there will be more claims.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,866 ✭✭✭daheff

I had the opposite experience. About 10% cheaper. Moved to estate next to where i used to live. Previous estate is much bigger than current estate, so chances of claims higher.

• Registered Users Posts: 48,235 ✭✭✭✭km79

thegrayson wrote: »
    Has anyone else experienced this? Just moving in to Knocknacarra, have three months left on my policy, €45 increase. I'm moving from Rahoon too, it was the last thing I expected.

Are you sure it wasn't at least partially an admin fee for change of policy ?
    Most insurance companies charge for any kind of mid term change

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,475 ✭✭✭skinny90

I had a 35 quid admin fee for an address change. They then began to say that if I don’t pay material facts won’t be changed after me informing them and that if I was to claim/loss I may not be covered. Feeling cornered into this I asked them for a complete breakdown on why an admin fee of 35 quid was needed for an address change. They couldn’t justify it and after a while of back and forth, the guy just said it to me, the material facts are changed and no new documents will be sent out.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,387 ✭✭✭xckjoo

Not exactly, but when I was getting a quote last year, I entered the general area in the online form and got X. When I went to take out the insurance and entered my actual address it went to X+Y. They let me take the quote of X on the phone but it does show that location is considered.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭begbysback

The only industry which comprehensively discriminates and nothing is done about it - a complete law unto themselves as they have gotten away with it for so long.

Advertisement