Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Looking to buy in Phibsboro area

Options
  • 13-04-2018 12:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 13

I’m looking to buy a house and have been looking around the Phibsboro area. I don’t know the area very well and have noticed a lot of houses for sale on certain streets e.g. St. Peter’s Road and Connaught Street. Would anyone know if there is a reason for exodus or is it coincidence? And is it a nice area in general.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,340 ✭✭✭conor222

Seems like a nice area, I live a bit further towards city centre in phibsboro.
    I believe theyre planning a redevelopment of the shopping centre there and possible changes to Dalymount park as well so there could be a large amount of construction starting there soon

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/environment/phibsborough-shopping-centre-redevelopment-approved-1.3278249

http://www.thejournal.ie/phibsboro-rejuvenation-plan-3324813-Apr2017/

I believe it will include student accom so that may be a factor (although I dont think it would e an issue)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,106 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

I lived about 1km down the road from the shopping centre towards Glasnevin for a while. The area is grand imo, the crossroads there aren't exactly the nicest place in the world but you have amenities, lots of buses, a Luas nearby, and I never got the impression it was unsafe. Connaught St is fairly busy as it's the road to Cabra is the only thing, Leinster/Munster St would be a fair bit quieter I think. Some decent pubs nearby in the Bald Eagle and the Gravediggers, plenty of takeaway options for when you're not bothered cooking, right beside Tesco, etc. I'd live there again no problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 Myrna

Thank you both for replying, you were very helpful.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,097 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Few unsavouries around but the area is grand, nice place to live and be close to the city. Back Page is a great pub.

• Registered Users Posts: 354 ✭✭pauldavis123

Try and get an AirBnB for the night on the road you are thinking of buying.

Real world experience is best!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭pmcc1

Its true there is a glut of houses selling there now. Those particular houses are for sale because:
    * old folks downsizing (+passing on)
    * a few of these properties have been rented out while the owners awaited the arrival of the tram service to push up the value. That has happened now and the they want to make their killing.

Phibsboro has been changing in the last few years. Its always been a safe, respectable area - but is wrestling with its new-found hipness.
    Apart from being in the not inconsiderable shadow of the hated shopping centre, and often being choked with traffic - Phibsboro is fine and has a good community feel.
    A lot of capital investment is still to come in the area : Dalymount nua, Metrolink, Royal Canal Greenway.
    Good luck with the move.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 Myrna

pmcc1 wrote: »
    Its true there is a glut of houses selling there now. Those particular houses are for sale because:
    * old folks downsizing (+passing on)
    * a few of these properties have been rented out while the owners awaited the arrival of the tram service to push up the value. That has happened now and the they want to make their killing.

Phibsboro has been changing in the last few years. Its always been a safe, respectable area - but is wrestling with its new-found hipness.
    Apart from being in the not inconsiderable shadow of the hated shopping centre, and often being choked with traffic - Phibsboro is fine and has a good community feel.
    A lot of capital investment is still to come in the area : Dalymount nua, Metrolink, Royal Canal Greenway.
    Good luck with the move.

Makes a lot of sense thank you

Advertisement