Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Public consultation re Stillorgn Road /UCD cycle scheme

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,450 ✭✭✭Macy0161

I'm kinda more interested in the plans within Belfield (the mentioned internal cycle paths). I know my opinions of the N11 cyclepaths that far aren't shared by many, but I wouldn't have thought that section was the worst?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭C3PO

Macy0161 wrote: »
    I'm kinda more interested in the plans within Belfield (the mentioned internal cycle paths). I know my opinions of the N11 cyclepaths that far aren't shared by many, but I wouldn't have thought that section was the worst?

A couple of times recently I used the N11 to commute home from Ballsbridge to Shankill rather than my usual route out through Blackrock etc. The stretch from Donnybrook to Foxrock is awful - I really pity anyone who uses it everyday! It is in serious need of improvement IMHO!

C3PO wrote: »
    A couple of times recently I used the N11 to commute home from Ballsbridge to Shankill rather than my usual route out through Blackrock etc. The stretch from Donnybrook to Foxrock is awful - I really pity anyone who uses it everyday! It is in serious need of improvement IMHO!
    But it's inbound Fosters Avenue to the Belfield flyover they're addressing. My biggest issue on the stretch they're talking about is the surface. The N11 in general I would have other sections much higher up the list!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,124 ✭✭✭homer911

I wish they would turn that square manhole cover around!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,124 ✭✭✭homer911

"This Scheme will be placed on public display in the offices of Dún Laoghaire-Rathdown County Council, as follows, from April 10th to May 15th, 2018 and will also be available for viewing on the Council’s website."

Anyone got a link to the details on their website? Can't find it myself

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,034 ✭✭✭nomdeboardie

I think that just refers to the links in the bottom of the article I linked in the OP ("More Information" and the 5 PDFs)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,933 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

The section of cycle path between the rise and Fosters Avenue is atrocious. major interaction with a very busy pedestrian section (school bus drop offs and people working in town waiting for the overpacked DBs). The a cycle path that goes out at such an angle it effectively looks like it was designed to purposely put cyclists in a typical blind spot.

Cars do not seem to know who has right or way, and there is mass confusion every day.

I swing out into the bus lane just before the rise for this very reason, occasionally it is longer but always safer. Just to clarify, i am saying that going into a lane which typically has 3 or 4 buses pulling in or out and a load of confused motorists wanting to turn, is safer than the off road cycle track. It takes real skill to mess up infrastructure that badly.

It's from the rise to the belfield flyover they're looking at - it seems to be entirely driven(?) by UCD wanting a solution to that stretch, not the N11 cycle lane in general. But maybe the approach is to make the points in the submissions?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,933 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Macy0161 wrote: »
    It's from the rise to the belfield flyover they're looking at - it seems to be entirely driven(?) by UCD wanting a solution to that stretch, not the N11 cycle lane in general. But maybe the approach is to make the points in the submissions?

it is hard to tell as the current Nova entrance is up Fosters avenue. There is a desire line going through the fence on the N11, close to where the back of Nova would be and very near where the footbridge comes down beside the bus stop. Maybe they have seen this and are acting on it.

My money is they put a bike light at the bottom of Fosters avenue and cyclists lose priority and they pave into Nova where the desire line is. Hope I am wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,141 ✭✭✭Doctor Bob

CramCycle wrote: »
    There is a desire line going through the fence on the N11, close to where the back of Nova would be and very near where the footbridge comes down beside the bus stop.

AFAIK UCD intends to formalise this gap in the hedge as a proper gate for pedestrians and cyclists- it's been on the cards for a couple of years. The reason for the short two-way cycle track is to serve people going south from that gate; if this wasn't done, they'd probably use the one-way northbound cycle track in the wrong direction, with potentially messy results. This is also why the two directions are flipped over (northbound kerbside, southbound beside the footpath, i.e. cycling on the right, not the left)- it minimises interaction between the current northbound cyclists and the new southbound cyclists. I think the segregation between the two sides should be clearer, but it's a good idea in principle.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3 nfunge1

CramCycle wrote: »
    The section of cycle path between the rise and Fosters Avenue is atrocious. major interaction with a very busy pedestrian section (school bus drop offs and people working in town waiting for the overpacked DBs). The a cycle path that goes out at such an angle it effectively looks like it was designed to purposely put cyclists in a typical blind spot.

Cars do not seem to know who has right or way, and there is mass confusion every day.

I swing out into the bus lane just before the rise for this very reason, occasionally it is longer but always safer. Just to clarify, i am saying that going into a lane which typically has 3 or 4 buses pulling in or out and a load of confused motorists wanting to turn, is safer than the off road cycle track. It takes real skill to mess up infrastructure that badly.

Agree fully with this. Appalling stretch of cycle lane.

Another example of how badly thought out the infrastructure is the stretch around the petrol station on the N11. Not only do you have to negotiate with drivers who pull out onto the cycle lane from the station but you then have a busy bus stop with pedestrian lights beside it and the cycle lane goes through both of them.

Advertisement