Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Upgrade Overkill , what can go?

Options
  • 13-04-2018 3:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭

Current Machine:
    CPU: Intel - Core i5-3570K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor 
    Motherboard: ASRock - Z77 Extreme4 ATX LGA1155 Motherboard 
    Memory: G.Skill - Ripjaws Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory 
    Storage: Samsung - 840 Pro Series 128GB 2.5" Solid State Drive 
    Storage: Seagate - Barracuda 500GB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive 
    Video Card: MSI - GeForce GTX 780 Ti 3GB TWIN FROZR Video Card 
    Case: Fractal Design - Define C ATX Mid Tower Case  
    Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA G3 650W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply  
    Operating System: Microsoft - Windows 10 Pro Full 32/64-bit  
    Monitor: LG - 24GM77 24.0" 1920x1080 60 hz
    Mouse: Razer - DeathAdder Wired Laser Mouse 
    Headphones: SteelSeries - Siberia 350 (Black/Orange) 7.1 Channel  Headset  

1. What is your budget? £1000 (UK based)

[font=Open Sans, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]2. What will be the main purpose of the computer? Gaming (Witcher 3, Overwatch), Multitasking (screen real estate a must) programming (R & Phyton), Scientific analysis, bioinformatics (Next generation Sequencing, etc) [/font]Linux Dual boot might be on the cards

3. Do you need a copy of Windows? No

4. Can you use any parts from an old computer? GPU, storage, case, PSU, Mouse, headset, Keyboard

5. Do you need a monitor? Yes, I use a 5K 27 inch IPS in work (2017 MAC) and I just can't stand the sight of my 24 in TN panel at home. 

6. Do you need any of the peripherals? I'd like a nice keyboard with low noise typing that would be ok for gaming.

7. Are you willing to try overclocking? Yes unless a non K version processor offers a lot of saving.

8. How can you pay? Cash, card, BT
    [font=Open Sans, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]9. [/font]When am I buying? [font=Open Sans, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]This summer, Probably get monitor first and follow up in June for everything else. Happy to wait for hardware refreshes.[/font]

The Case and PSU are new, the monitor is god awful. I need more storage space if I get into the type of analysis I'm thinking of doing, I need a lot of RAM, but it's so expensive that I think I would just get 16 GB and upgrade to 64 later, although slots might be an issue. 

[font=Open Sans, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Ideal new Build[/font]
    [font=Open Sans, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]CPU: Intel - Core i7-8700K 3.7GHz 6-Core Processor  (£281.94 @ Aria PC) [/font]
    [font=Open Sans, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]CPU Cooler: CRYORIG - H7 49.0 CFM CPU Cooler  (£34.99 @ Overclockers.co.uk) [/font]
    [font=Open Sans, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Motherboard: ASRock - Z370 Extreme4 ATX LGA1151 Motherboard  (£138.91 @ Amazon UK) [/font]
    [font=Open Sans, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Memory: G.Skill - Trident Z RGB 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3000 Memory  (£190.06 @ Amazon UK) [/font]
    [font=Open Sans, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Storage: Samsung - 960 EVO 500GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive  (£192.50 @ Aria PC) [/font]
    Subtotal £838.4

New Monitor
    [font=Open Sans, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Monitor: Asus - ROG Strix XG35VQ 35.0" 3440x1440 100Hz Monitor  (£784.98 @ Ebuyer) [/font]

Total: £1623.38

Questions
    1. The monitor is overkill. I do want real estate for multitasking but perhaps I do not need this, a 16:9 27 inch would do me just fine. IPS/VA only. Don't really know much about high refresh rates so part of me wants to get a second hand 27in 1440p/4k 60 hz with low latency. I'm worried about 2K being noticable **** compared to the gorgeous 5K display in work. Completely out of my depth on this.

2. I was shocked by RAM prices, Some of the stuff I will be doing requires 32-64 GB ram. Could I get a single stick of 16G RAM, and get another stick later, or would the single channel RAM be a bad idea, I've no idea what ram speed actually does so I just picked the 3000 (units?) version?
    3. I have a 780 TI, I'm happy with this due to prices atm and I try and game at 2K, lol.
    4. Where can I compromise to get this down to £1000?

Cheers guys!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

Monitor and GPU are mismatched. 34" UW are beginning to see price drops and Korean brands popping up. Hold off a while IMHO.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Assuming your 3570K is overclocked with that budget I would just get a GTX1070Ti and a new 1440p monitor. Maybe a 2nd hand i7-3770K too for €120-140? Still an excellent CPU.

2nd hand DDR3 tends to be priced well enough to easy pick up another 8GB DDR3 as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭finlaycm

The second hand market for components in the UK is higher priced than in Ireland (imo) so I don't really see the benefit of spending 120-150£ on a 5 year old i7. Again my issues around RAM are that I'm going to spend 50% of the costs on old technology, and would rather stick with what I've go till I upgrade. 
    I could hold off on the component upgrade, although when I really get going at the analysis I'll probably need more RAM.
    I've been putting off the monitor upgrade for 2 years now, partly because of life events, and partly I don't have a frame of reference for what new technology = "wow"  vs "I only claim I can see a difference because that difference cost me an extra 200 euro". There will always be something on the horizon and I want to get display sooner rather than later and get one thats decent enough to last 5 years.

Advertisement