Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Deansgrange area start and finish?

Options
  • 13-04-2018 6:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,651 ✭✭✭

Where does the deansgrange area begin and where does it end?

Like what road/estate is the start of deansgrange and what road/area is the end of deansgrange before you enter another district?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 204 ✭✭Awaaf

tomofson wrote: »
    Where does the deansgrange area begin and where does it end?

Like what road/estate is the start of deansgrange and what road/area is the end of deansgrange before you enter another district?

No idea of the official position (try the an post address checker tool) but here is my take (mainly based on how I hear people describe things locally):

There is little doubt over the cemetary.

On the East Side Abbey Road is definitely the last street in Monkstown. I would suggest then the link road (of course this didn't always exist so maybe stradbrook road/deansgrange road as an alternative) - thereby including Rockford - not sure about that.

On the southeast side I suspect there is a lot of leakage to Blackrock/Foxrock (FFS) but Springhill and Rowanbyrn seem to be clearly accepted as Deansgrange (elsewhere notions take over).

The same seems to apply to Beechpark/South Park (notions?). Clonkeen/Meadow Vale (before Monaloe) seems to be accepted as Deansgrange. Pottery Road as with Rochestown Avenue seems to list itself as Dun Laoghaire despite having Sallynoggin in between but this may relate to Sallynoggin being fields while the former are quite old as districts.

It all falls into the Blackrock PO district so Blackrock attaches to any Deansgrange address by default.

Kill O' The Grange seems to be tightly clustered around Bakers Corner and is not really a district but more of a state of mind. It does however appear in a lot of address lists on websites etc.

Feel free to argue.

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭bluezulu49

Awaaf wrote: »

Kill O' The Grange seems to be tightly clustered around Bakers Corner and is not really a district but more of a state of mind. It does however appear in a lot of address lists on websites etc.

Feel free to argue.

Townlands.ie shows Deansgrange townland as having an area of 378 acres, 1 rood, 9 perches. Map attached.
    Kill of the Grange 264 acres map also attached.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,651 ✭✭✭tomofson

bluezulu49 wrote: »
    Townlands.ie shows Deansgrange townland as having an area of 378 acres, 1 rood, 9 perches. Map attached.

Strange how fintans park and fintans villas aren't included as deansgrange, I thought they would be.

I know a few people form there and they all say deansgrange whenever telling anyone where they are from.

Maps are interesting and no doubt historical. Culturally however KOTG has been massively squeezed with Fintans clearly described as Deansgrange locally.

Awaaf wrote: »
    Maps are interesting and no doubt historical. Culturally however KOTG has been massively squeezed with Fintans clearly described as Deansgrange locally.

And casement villas and bakers corner are both put down as Dun Laoghaire.

Very complicated places over this way ha. I think you can just put down whatever district you like

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭bluezulu49

I have lived in the area for many years and am sure that if I asked my neighbours the name of our townland, they would not know it as it is not in the postal address. An example would be Clonkeen Road, Blackrock, Co. Dublin, which is in the Deansgrange townland.

bluezulu49 wrote: »
    I have lived in the area for many years and am sure that if I asked my neighbours the name of our townland, they would not know it as it is not in the postal address. An example would be Clonkeen Road, Blackrock, Co. Dublin, which is in the Deansgrange townland.

Yeah I am from Dun Laoghaire myself, I'm sure a lot of people just either say Dun Laoghaire or Blackrock.

Lots of boundaries in the area. The old DL Borough/Co. Dublin boundary ran down the middle of Abbey Road. Electoral ward boundary follows this also. The Blackrock PO district runs up to Bakers Corner but with area towards DL delivered from the Glenageary Sorting Office. (Catholic) Parish Boundaries also complicated by the formation of the Holy Family parish......

• Registered Users Posts: 25,438 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

The answer is ..... it depends on who you ask and for what purpose.

Typically in this scenario, you can select from an 'a la carte' menu consisting of the postal district, the name of the civil parish, the church parish (CoI or RC, take your pick) and the civic townland.

Galloping Green North anyone?

The Bank of Ireland branch at Deansgrange Cross is called (by BoI) 'Kill of the Grange', the Lidl branch next door is in 'Deansgrange' while the medical practice across the road ('Deansgrange Medical Centre') claims to have a postal address of 'Blackrock, Co. Dublin.

Like I said, take your pick.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,988 ✭✭✭Seaswimmer

I live in Clonkeen Drive, a stones throw from the crossroads. We are in Dublin 18 postal district while the houses over the back wall (Clonkeen road) are Blackrock, Co Dublin.

If we ever get a letter with Deansgrange on the address it is usually crossed out and Dublin 18 substituted.

Its all very confusing. The houses across Kill Lane were called Deansgrange cottages when I was growing up but are now Foxrock close and Grove. Even though a good 1.5 miles from Foxrock village.

A lot of people dont know even the general whereabouts of Deansgrange if they havent heard of the cemetery. You usually end up saying near Blackrock/Dun Laoghaire/Cabinteely when trying to explain where it is.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

Seaswimmer wrote: »
    I live in Clonkeen Drive, a stones throw from the crossroads. We are in Dublin 18 postal district while the houses over the back wall (Clonkeen road) are Blackrock, Co Dublin.

If we ever get a letter with Deansgrange on the address it is usually crossed out and Dublin 18 substituted.

Its all very confusing. The houses across Kill Lane were called Deansgrange cottages when I was growing up but are now Foxrock close and Grove. Even though a good 1.5 miles from Foxrock village.

A lot of people dont know even the general whereabouts of Deansgrange if they havent heard of the cemetery. You usually end up saying near Blackrock/Dun Laoghaire/Cabinteely when trying to explain where it is.

Howdy neighbour, I live on Clonkeen road, grew up 60 seconds away in Dun Laoghaire but now love living in Blackrock:pac:

I normally just say Cabinteely tbh

Seaswimmer wrote: »

I checked using the map facility on www.eircode.ie The houses on both sides of Clonkeen Road all the way down to the N11 are in the postal district of 'Blackrock, Co. Dublin' while all of the streets on the west side of Clonkeen Road are in Dublin 18.

So while the Bank of Ireland at the crossroads calls itself the 'Kill o' the Grange' branch, it's postal address is 'Blackrock, Co. Dublin' but ask anyone where it's located and they will tell you that it's at Deansgrange Cross.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,023 ✭✭✭✭Joe_ Public

Lived in Rockford for some years and was always struck by my neighbours insistence that the address was Blackrock. For some reason I put this down to a status thing, but perhaps they were just being technically correct to do so. Just always felt more Deansgrange to me.

Howdy neighbour, I live on Clonkeen road, grew up 60 seconds away in Dun Laoghaire but now love living in Blackrock:pac:

I normally just say Cabinteely tbh

I always was a Dun Laoghaire man myself, even when I was living in Deansgrange I used to tell people I live in Dun Laoghaire.

tomofson wrote: »
    I always was a Dun Laoghaire man myself, even when I was living in Deansgrange I used to tell people I live in Dun Laoghaire.

The old Dun Laoghaire county borough ended at Bakers Corner, there used to be sign at the junction. The old Co. Dublin stopped at the boundary since DL was effectively a city.

Advertisement