Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Renting as an Owner Occupier

Options
  • 13-04-2018 7:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 858 ✭✭✭

Hi

So I own my own appartment and for the last 2 years my friend has lived with me so it's been easy going. I've given her a good deal and she's always paid rent on time and there's been no issues whatsoever.

She's relocating and moving out at the end of the month and I've decided to put the room up.

Just wondering will I need to draw up a contract or anything like that. Anything else I should take into consideration? What vital questions should I ask when people come to view the room?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

Don't draw up a contract, you bind yourself by contract where there is no need. Write up some house rules and both sign and stick to them.

My advice is put Sky/Virgin in the room and one of the house rules be you get to decide what on the telly in the main room. You'll encourage the tenant to stay in their room and if not at least you get to decide the crap that's on. As for questions, whatever you feel is right for you but go with your gut, if they 'feel' wrong move on to the next person.

I suggest doing individual viewings. We used to do an open house and it was pretty awkward.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭4ensic15

. Write up some house rules and both sign and stick to them.

That is a contract!

• Registered Users Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

The person that moves in has zero rights.

You call the shots and basically they have to do whatever you like and you can put them out without notice.

Hi

So I own my own appartment and for the last 2 years my friend has lived with me so it's been easy going. I've given her a good deal and she's always paid rent on time and there's been no issues whatsoever.

She's relocating and moving out at the end of the month and I've decided to put the room up.

Just wondering will I need to draw up a contract or anything like that. Anything else I should take into consideration? What vital questions should I ask when people come to view the room?

Thanks
    Most importantly, find out when the person gets paid and arrange for the rent to be due the next day.
    Beware of taking someone who has just arrived into the town or country.
    Make sure the person's work hours are compatible with you.
    Find out how many friends the person has in the area and if they are in a relationship.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,564 ✭✭✭JeffKenna

My advice is put Sky/Virgin in the room and one of the house rules be you get to decide what on the telly in the main room. You'll encourage the tenant to stay in their room and if not at least you get to decide the crap that's on.

Christ, that's a dickish move if ever I heard one!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2 Dmac83

There's no need to write up a contract and there is no requirement for you to give rent receipts either as an owner occupier.
    I would definitely lay down the law as regards rent due on x day in full, be Crystal clear that there are no exceptions, this will save a lot of agro in the future,no noise after X time, house guests you should discuss, over night guests you should discuss, make you you find out how they are funding themselves. Discuss bills being split and also bathroom arangements in the mornings if you are both sharing.
    Renting to a student is handy and they are usually away at weekends. Nuig and gmit have platforms to advise to them directly.

4ensic15 wrote: »
    That is a contract!

So is any verbal agreement. You know exactly what I'm referring to; don't give minimum notice periods etc. The rules are also applicable to both parties not just the licensee.

JeffKenna wrote: »
    Christ, that's a dickish move if ever I heard one!

Yeah real bastard me. Full sky pack and a 42" telly in the room so the tenant doesn't have to sit there feeling like a third wheel with me and the wife. They're more than welcome in the living room, however the tellies are in the Kitchen - free for all, tenants room - their's to watch what they want, and livingroom - mine/wife's - mainly the wife's.

• Registered Users Posts: 746 ✭✭✭SNNUS

Make some guidelines but don't say they have no control over tv etc, after all they are paying rent for a place to call albeit temporarily home.

So is any verbal agreement. You know exactly what I'm referring to; don't give minimum notice periods etc. The rules are also applicable to both parties not just the licensee.

Exactly a contract doesn't have physical form. It is a metaphysical object. There will be a contract. The question is whether or not to reduce terms to writing. No contract ever has all of its terms reduced to writing and what is at issue of what level of writing is appropriate. You initially recommended some writing. Nothing wrong with that, but there is no point in saying there is no contract.

• Advertisement

Exactly a contract doesn't have physical form. It is a metaphysical object. There will be a contract. The question is whether or not to reduce terms to writing. No contract ever has all of its terms reduced to writing and what is at issue of what level of writing is appropriate. You initially recommended some writing. Nothing wrong with that, but there is no point in saying there is no contract.

Your pedantry grows strong, however I'll concede you're technically correct.

Your pedantry grows strong, however I'll concede you're technically correct.

Don't blame pedantry for catching you out on bull****!

Don't blame pedantry for catching you out on bull****!

It's hardly bull****. You knew exactly what the OP meant which was doing what a lot rookie RARer's do and try and draw up something that looks like a lease. Your pedantry is helpful in about 50% of the threads you contribute too, otherwise it's just annoying.

It's hardly bull****. You knew exactly what the OP meant which was doing what a lot rookie RARer's do and try and draw up something that looks like a lease. Your pedantry is helpful in about 50% of the threads you contribute too, otherwise it's just annoying.

Not bad. at least you understand 50% of my comments. If you knew what the o/p meant why didn't you give correct advice instead of misleading the o/p?

Not bad. at least you understand 50% of my comments. If you knew what the o/p meant why didn't you give correct advice instead of misleading the o/p?

Hardly misleading the OP. Don't draw up a formal rental contract just sign some rules. It's going to be impossible not to enter into a contract as the elements are all there. That's a ridiculous aside to start going into when it's obvious what the OP means.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,136 ✭✭✭James Bond Junior

Don't draw up a contract, you bind yourself by contract where there is no need. Write up some house rules and both sign and stick to them.

My advice is put Sky/Virgin in the room and one of the house rules be you get to decide what on the telly in the main room. You'll encourage the tenant to stay in their room and if not at least you get to decide the crap that's on. As for questions, whatever you feel is right for you but go with your gut, if they 'feel' wrong move on to the next person.

I suggest doing individual viewings. We used to do an open house and it was pretty awkward.

This x100. I gave over the dining room as a second sitting room with 43in TV and sky box and single couch. Everybody is happy. I can use the dining room when I need it which is rare.

Hardly misleading the OP. Don't draw up a formal rental contract just sign some rules. It's going to be impossible not to enter into a contract as the elements are all there. That's a ridiculous aside to start going into when it's obvious what the OP means.

Get them to sign absolutely nothing and sign nothing yourself. This is the safest way to proceed. There is no need whatsoever for signatures. They step out of line they are out the door, what's the point in getting them to sign something only making them think they have more rights than they have.

Stick a list of house rules up on the fridge and you can point it out, that's as far as you should go.

Advertisement