Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

243 advice

Options
  • 13-04-2018 9:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭

Any one using 95grain sst in there 243 are they a better bullet at stoping deer than most others.just had a few runners last seson and it ether change rifle or ammo

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭tikkamark

I know it’s a completely different species but I found them useless for foxes as they very often didn’t expand and resulted in runners and wounded foxes even though they were hit spot on.
    For deer you won’t go wrong with 100gr soft points or 80gr soft points

• Registered Users Posts: 2,759 ✭✭✭cookimonster

What deer are you shooting? . I predominantly shoot Sika and their tough as nails compared to their cousins the Reds. Recently started shooting Fallow and as said in the previous post the 100gr SP are bad medicine for them as well as the other two species. The Soft Points work well equally for neck, shoulder and chest shots.

• Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭cz527

I have a mix bag of deer where i am red sika and fallow.going to try some other type of ammo tho because what im using isent working.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭garv123

cz527 wrote: »
    Any one using 95grain sst in there 243 are they a better bullet at stoping deer than most others.just had a few runners last seson and it ether change rifle or ammo

95gr sst are dirt in most rilfes ive seen!

What are you using at the minute?

Whats your preferred shot placement?

Try federal 100gr.

Im a nek shot man.iv been using sako 70grain arrow heads.going to try 95grain fedral next

• Advertisement

Just checked and tweeked my zero using 105gr Gecco....have to say very impressed with the grouping - 1/2 inch at 100 yards. Worked very well in the gun- no issues with bolt closure or ejection. I'll let you know how they work on the deer.

Any one else using them or any Gecco in other calibre?

Where did you get the 105 grain id like to try them myself

Defo going to try it and hope it works because i like the 243 real esey round to shoot id hate to have to go bigger because im not a fan of recoil

• Registered Users Posts: 4,772 ✭✭✭meathstevie

cz527 wrote: »
    Defo going to try it and hope it works because i like the 243 real esey round to shoot id hate to have to go bigger because im not a fan of recoil

I've never noticed any recoil when squeezing of a round at a deer....

• Advertisement

Other calibers have harder recoil tho like 308 270 30 06

For stalking both hill and forest I tend to use a .270 feather weight with muzzle brake and leave the moderated .243 for high seats or stands.
    During the season my friend is generous enough to give me a go with his 30-06 .....sweeeeeeeeeet, when you squeeze that puppy off in anger the only thing you feel is exhilaration when the deer goes 'bang flop'...
    ������☠��

If i was changing the rifle id go for somthing like a sauer with the choise to change barrel so could have a 243 and a 308 in the one gun

Advertisement