Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

1x conversion?

Options
  • 13-04-2018 9:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,251 ✭✭✭

Has anyone ever converted a road bike to a 1x drivetrain?

I have an old Canyon aluminium that I quite like and might convert to a winter bike - but the gear ratio doesn't work for me (currently it is a 53/39 with a 12-25 cassette). Groupset is full SRAM Force (except for crankset is FSA). I think I need a new chainset and probably rear derailleur to change it to what I'd prefer (compact with 11-28 or even 11-32) - I haven't come across these anywhere that would make it financially more interesting than just selling it and buying another second hand bike with a gear ratio that I'd prefer.

Watching videos on YouTube I got the idea to change it to a 1x.

I'd like to keep levers and brakeset if possible (so it would need to be a 10-speed 11-42 cassette or similar)

Would this be an easy job? I think I would need cassette, chain, 1x chainring and new rear derailleur?

Anyone happen to know the parts i'd need?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭Alek

I have my main bike built as 1x10 on 105 shifters, Superstar Components front ring (38t), 11-36 on the rear (for road) and 11-42 (offroad), served by short cage road Sora derailleur. With the large casette its a really tight squeeze, but 11-36 works with no issues at all. Depending on your RD, 11-34 may be the max you can use, but this should be plenty even for proper hills. Bear in mind to try if the RD clears the max cog with the chain shortened, or at least pulling it tight, and with the big screw all the way in - it will definitely not clear it with the full lenght chain.

If you're in Dublin, you're welcome to try my wheelsets with the large cassettes on.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,990 ✭✭✭68 lost souls

Just be aware you may not be invited to any UCI tours this year if you ride a 1x :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 13,761 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

Just be aware you may not be invited to any UCI tours this year if you ride a 1x :pac:

Apparently the Aqua Blue guys find the 1x bikes awful to ride, in addition to a lack of UCI invites...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,251 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

Alek wrote: »
    I have my main bike built as 1x10 on 105 shifters, Superstar Components front ring (38t), 11-36 on the rear (for road) and 11-42 (offroad), served by short cage road Sora derailleur. With the large casette its a really tight squeeze, but 11-36 works with no issues at all. Depending on your RD, 11-34 may be the max you can use, but this should be plenty even for proper hills. Bear in mind to try if the RD clears the max cog with the chain shortened, or at least pulling it tight, and with the big screw all the way in - it will definitely not clear it with the full lenght chain.

If you're in Dublin, you're welcome to try my wheelsets with the large cassettes on.
    Thanks Alek that is a kind offer - I'm not anywhere near Dublin unfortunately though. I thought I'd need a long cage - one of the reasons I didn't change to a compact 50-34 with 11-28 or 32 at the back was that I expected to have to buy a new RD too

• Registered Users Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭Alek

I thought I'd need a long cage

The cage, technically speaking, is there only for taking the slack off the chain. There is not much slack in the 1x setups... What you need is some luck in regard to your RD and hanger's geometry, so there is clearance for the top jockey wheel against the largest cog.

• Advertisement
Advertisement