Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Combi Oven-Microwaves

• 13-04-2018 9:56pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,682 ✭✭✭✭

Im doing a kitchen renovation soon and was just looking around at the latest ovens on the market. These combi-ovens are an oven and also a microwave combined in one unit. Which sounds great as a space saver and just having one unit to clean rather than two. But Im wondering if any owners have some feedback on them, how they finding roasting & microwaving in them, pros & cons, what brands are good etc. I know little about them so am wondering are they the next big thing or just another kitchen fad?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,453 ✭✭✭Shenshen

Muahahaha wrote: »
    Im doing a kitchen renovation soon and was just looking around at the latest ovens on the market. These combi-ovens are an oven and also a microwave combined in one unit. Which sounds great as a space saver and just having one unit to clean rather than two. But Im wondering if any owners have some feedback on them, how they finding roasting & microwaving in them, pros & cons, what brands are good etc. I know little about them so am wondering are they the next big thing or just another kitchen fad?

We've had a combi one for nearly ten years now - not a fancy built-in one, though, just a cheap one Lidl were selling at the time. I would recommend them, but only as an addition to an actual oven.
    We usually use the combi for small portions of things, it saves heating up the whole oven for a single portion of chips, for example. Ours also has a combination setting, where it automatically switches between microwaving and roasting every few seconds. Ideal for baked potatoes in around 30 minutes.

However, I can't give much advice on brands, and as I said, I'd only recommend it as an addition to a full oven, not as a replacement.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,351 ✭✭✭phormium

Definitely not the next big thing, they have been around a long time, obviously even Lidl had them 10 yrs ago!

I would agree only useful in addition to a main oven, not that big inside so you won't fit much, I preferred to go for a bigger microwave cavity as the element in top cuts down on the head room in the oven which mattered to me.

I have a halogen oven too which for around 50 quid is a handy way of doing small oven items quickly and cheaply.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Muahahaha wrote: »
    Ihese combi-ovens are an oven and also a microwave combined in one unit.
    can you give a link to these?
    phormium wrote: »
    Definitely not the next big thing, they have been around a long time, obviously even Lidl had them 10 yrs ago!
    At first I thought the OP was talking about microwaves which happen to have grill elements inside, and I guess these might be what is in lidl. We had one in work and it was crap.

But I think the OP might be talking about a regular type oven, which happens to have a microwave built into it too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,682 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

rubadub wrote: »

But I think the OP might be talking about a regular type oven, which happens to have a microwave built into it too.

Yes that is exactly what I am talking about.

Link of Siemens models here but Neff, Bosch, Hotpoint, etc all seem to do some sort of oven that also doubles up as a microwave.
    http://www.siemens-home.bsh-group.com/ie/productlist/cooking/microwaves/built-in-ovens-with-microwave

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 264 ✭✭Accidentally

I'm on my second Sharp combi, first one lasted 12 years and I've bought roughly the same model again. It's big (40l), but the best thing for the kitchen I've ever bought.

https://powercity.ie/product/959SL

• Advertisement
Advertisement