Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cheaper brand new iPhones, is it dodgy?

Options
  • 13-04-2018 11:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,329 ✭✭✭

Hi there,

Am thinking of getting an iPhone SE for a present for my wife. Money is tight, so I’m shopping around.

Apple themselves have it for €419.

Komplett have it for €319

There are a few sellers on Adverts that seem to be shops in Dublin City Centre (though they’re listed as ‘Private Sellers’ not ‘Shops’ on Adverts) who have them for cheaper again. All sealed and brand new with receipt etc.

So, I’ve heard of Komplett, and €100 is a good saving, but €150 is a better saving. Do I trust the Adverts Sellers, is there anything I can do to ensure the Phone I’d be buying off them is legit, before I buy it?

Thanks...

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,438 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Check the sellers feedback and what other items they sale.
    Possible they have been brought in for cheaper countries.

Will work perfect but may have some weird warranty issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 566 ✭✭✭claregal1

jasonb wrote: »
    Hi there,

Am thinking of getting an iPhone SE for a present for my wife. Money is tight, so I’m shopping around.

Apple themselves have it for €419.

Komplett have it for €319

There are a few sellers on Adverts that seem to be shops in Dublin City Centre (though they’re listed as ‘Private Sellers’ not ‘Shops’ on Adverts) who have them for cheaper again. All sealed and brand new with receipt etc.

So, I’ve heard of Komplett, and €100 is a good saving, but €150 is a better saving. Do I trust the Adverts Sellers, is there anything I can do to ensure the Phone I’d be buying off them is legit, before I buy it?

Thanks...

I got my son a second hand IPhone 6S with 12 months warranty from one of the second hand phone shops for 350 .. might be worth checking them out .

• Registered Users Posts: 3,329 ✭✭✭jasonb

Thanks for your replies.

I'd prefer to get a new phone if I can. Is it safe to assume that if the phone is sealed in the box etc. that it's not just a 2nd hand phone in a resealed box? Is the IMEI on the box, so I could check it?

One of the sellers has been on adverts for a couple of years, has fully postive fedback, though only a small sample size in total, all for phones, and currently has several ads for different types of phones, and mentions their shop in Dublin 1 in one of tbem.

I just want to make sure I'm not missing something obvious. I used Adverts a good bit and never been stung, but I've heard stories of course (not just on Adverts, any online selling site). You mention weird warranty issues, like what? If the phone is from a diffrent country, could the charger be different to the Irish one?

Thanks...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,648 ✭✭✭✭beauf

The charger is easily replaced.

Theres been a few threads on these cheap new iPhones and I don't think there was ever a proper answer as how they are sourced.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,684 ✭✭✭waynegalway

Argos had the SE at €349 for a while recently. Maybe not as cheap as you'd like, but arguably more reliable? Not sure if they'll do that price again, but worth checking.

• Advertisement

Just a quick update on this. Visited a few of these shops today (found them all on Adverts and went with the ones with the best prices/feedback). Eventually picked one of them and got a new SE 32GB for €300. It was sealed, but I opened the box and it all looks legit. Checked the IEMI and Serial Number online and they all check out. It's a present but I'll probably set it up to make sure there's nothing else dodgy and then wipe it again. But so far so good, I have a receipt from the shop in case I find anything dodgy.

Thanks for the advice...

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

Check the warranty information on tha Apple site. If it’s not bought in Ireland it will say it’s not covered under consumer Laws, but has a 1 year warranty.

The shop said it has a 1 Year Warranty with Apple. When I check the Serial Number on the Apple Website it says that it hasn't been registered yet. I presume it might tell me more once I activate the phone?

What's the difference between the 1 Year Apple Warranty and what I woud have got if I'd bought it in an Apple Store?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

If it’s bought in Ireland you are covered by Irish Consumer Law -The Sale of Goods Act 1980. The 1 year warranty is additional to your statutory rights. Have a look at the warranty info page on the Apple site, all is revealed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,070 ✭✭✭Franz Von Peppercorn

I can’t see where’s the difference since you bought it in Ireland.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Just remember if they're sourcing "upgrades" from the public, or insurance replacements, they can be nuked at a later date if the bill is unpaid or reported stolen. You have no protection against this other than going back to the seller (so some ephemeral shop is no good).

I was thinking the same, I did buy the the phone in Ireland, so shouldn't it be covered by Irish Consumer Laws? Sorry if I'm missing something obvious here?

And what do you mean if they're sourcing upgrades or Insurance Replacement? Who is they? Do you mean the shop got them cheaper by getting upgrades/replacements? And we could be left without a phone if Apple then decide to nuke the phone 'cos it's a stolen one? Or am I taking you up wrong?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,641 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

I was thinking the same, I did buy the the phone in Ireland, so shouldn't it be covered by Irish Consumer Laws? Sorry if I'm missing something obvious here?

Yes assuming you bought it brand new in an Irish store then you are covered by the Sales of Goods act.

• Registered Users Posts: 304 ✭✭Oxter

faceman wrote: »
    Yes assuming you bought it brand new in an Irish store then you are covered by the Sales of Goods act.

Check the vat number on the receipt on www.vatcheck.eu.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,081 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

Sales and Goods act can't offer less protection than afforded by EU legislation so effectively you have a minimum 2 year warranty, which the shop has to make good on.

cnocbui wrote: »
    Sales and Goods act can't offer less protection than afforded by EU legislation so effectively you have a minimum 2 year warranty, which the shop has to make good on.

Eu leglislation only offers protection to end users who have a EU invoice with a valid vat number.

Oxter wrote: »
    Eu leglislation only offers protection to end users who have a EU invoice with a valid vat number.

If you are meaning to say that the legislation only applies to retailers/resellers, then I believe you are mistaken.

If you are meaning to say that the legislation only applies to retailers/resellers, then I believe you are mistaken.

The savings on new phones by unapproved Apple resellers corresponds almost exactly to the vat charged by Apple.

The savings on new phones by unapproved Apple resellers corresponds almost exactly to the vat charged by Apple.

The price of goats milk in Kazakhstan has increased by 4% in the last three months.

The price of goats milk in Kazakhstan has increased by 4% in the last three months.

Are the goats there milked by apple devices?

• Advertisement

And what do you mean if they're sourcing upgrades or Insurance Replacement? Who is they? Do you mean the shop got them cheaper by getting upgrades/replacements? And we could be left without a phone if Apple then decide to nuke the phone 'cos it's a stolen one? Or am I taking you up wrong?

One way these shops can get new phones is if someone is due an upgrade but they don't necessarily want it. They take the upgrade, sell it to the shop, then the shop onsells.

If the person who took the upgrade decides to stop paying their bill during the next 2 years of their contract, their network will blacklist the device.

Are the goats there milked by apple devices?

Only if they buy them.

Basil3 wrote: »
    One way these shops can get new phones is if someone is due an upgrade but they don't necessarily want it. They take the upgrade, sell it to the shop, then the shop onsells.

If the person who took the upgrade decides to stop paying their bill during the next 2 years of their contract, their network will blacklist the device.

Upgrade and insurance phones are network locked.

Basil3 wrote: »

A lot of inexplicably cheap goods that appear genuine are actually refurbished.

Checked the receipt, no VAT number on it at all.

That’s interesting about the upgrades Basil3. So the ‘upgrade’ is still linked to the first person’s account (the person who sold it shop) even if it’s now being used in a different country (the first option of Country on the phone when setting it up was Germany, so I’m guessing it’s from there?), on someone else’s SIM card with a Monthly Bill, and on someone else’s Apple ID?

The phone itself is working so far, it’s now Activated, I can see the 1 Year Apple Warranty has kicked in online, the Apple ID etc. is set up on it, so no issues so far. Will be keeping an eye on it for a few weeks to see if I spot anything strange.

Only if they buy them.

Like us all

Checked the receipt, no VAT number on it at all.

That’s interesting about the upgrades Basil3. So the ‘upgrade’ is still linked to the first person’s account (the person who sold it shop) even if it’s now being used in a different country (the first option of Country on the phone when setting it up was Germany, so I’m guessing it’s from there?), on someone else’s SIM card with a Monthly Bill, and on someone else’s Apple ID?

The phone itself is working so far, it’s now Activated, I can see the 1 Year Apple Warranty has kicked in online, the Apple ID etc. is set up on it, so no issues so far. Will be keeping an eye on it for a few weeks to see if I spot anything strange.

Ask them for their vat number. A bill phone or upgrade should be network locked.

Like us all

Exactly, which is why I use a SH Samsung flagship.

How do I check if it’s Network Locked?

• Advertisement

How do I check if it’s Network Locked?

Try a SIM card from a different network.

With no quoted vat number and with the phone showing Germany when you unboxed, I would ask the shop about both. Did you pay by card or cash?

Advertisement