Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Missed Miscarriage

Options
  • 13-04-2018 11:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭

Hey,
    Just wanted to ask anyone who may be able to help me
    I found out over a week ago, I had a missed miscarriage. Lmp 9 weeks 3 days but little bub stopped growing at 6 weeks 1 day.
    I had a D&C done yesterday and when I came around from the anaesthetic my doctor informed me that they couldn't remove all or even half of the pregnancy tissue as, it was quite stuck to the uterine lining.
    I've to go back next week to have a scan done as, they are hoping I will pass the remainder of this at home myself. If not they will need to 're schedule me for another procedure. I'm not too keen on this.
    My only concern is Am I going to be experiencing extremely bad cramps, as I do have a very low pain threshold ( i know a little soft heart at times ) also, what else do i need to be looking out for.
    Thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 932 ✭✭✭brokensoul

I had an experience close enough to what you describe. I found passing the rest of the fetal tissue upsetting, but not terribly painful. I remember getting cramps but no worse than period cramps for me.

I didn't get any warning that it would happen (which was about 5 days post D&C) so im afraid I can't give you any tips on what to watch for.

Mind yourself, it is a horrible experience to go though. x

• Registered Users Posts: 2,337 ✭✭✭Loveinapril

I am so sorry you are going through this. The pain will vary from person to person but for me, my miscarriage was like a bad period. You can take painkillers though, and I found a hot water bottle helped. Try to rest lots. Eat junk, watch sh!te on telly and be kind to yourself x

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 6,376 Mod ✭✭✭✭Macha

I went through it a few months ago.

I had bad cramps but it was from taking some medication to induce the miscarriage as my body didn't realise the baby wasn't growing.

I can just echo what others said. I'm sorry you have to go through this, it's more common than you think and look after yourself. If you're worried about pain stock up on ibuprofen or ask your doctor for something stronger to have to hand in case.

• Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

I'm very sorry for your loss.

It may be different for a miscarriage of tissue following a procedure where it may have already left you tender but the cramps I had were akin to a period. They probably felt worse because of the emotional side of things.

Since they removed what they could, you might actually not have a lot of cramping as I found the cramping eased off considerably or went completely once the bigger bits were passed. I got neurofen plus for mine.

If you have fever, high temperature or feel otherwise unwell or even just a bad smell that's not like a period blood smell go to A&E. You'll feel periody, but anything that doesn't feel like that needs to be checked out right away.

Practically, you can't use tampons, so use big maternity pads rather than the likes of Always - they have a plasticky coating that can be abrasive on your tender bits. The maternity pads are incredibly soft and cushioning. Those in big tight knickers or two pairs of knickers will keep you feeling snug. Once when I had no sanitary towels in the house at all, I had to use a baby nappy opened out and that worked out extremely well, better even than a maternity towel as it gives great coverage for lying down, and the elasticated sides held in the clots that don't absorb.

Be kind to yourself, rest up, cry, do whatever you need to do. It's a very difficult process emotionally.

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭Elaine22

Thank you so much girls for all the advise. (((Hugs))) to all off u. It really is a devastating time for anyone to have to go through this. .
    I am really hoping I pass this soon so, I can try and move on a little. I am experiencing some cramping in my lower pelvic area a lot today so, I don't know if this is the start of it.

We have been 8 years trying to conceive, we unfortunately had an ectopic pregnancy this time last year as well so, feels like we will never get there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭MiliMe

Yes, it hurts a little but it's not unbearable. I don't generally have bad period pains but I had bad cramps throughout. Hot water bottles help. And pain killers.
    Though for me, I'm glad it wasn't painless.

Advertisement