Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where to move to in Canada?

• 14-04-2018 5:50am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 96 ✭✭

Most of the threads seem to be people asking for advice about only Vancouver or Toronto. I'm not tied to going to anywhere in particular so I'd love to get a few opinions on a cross section of places around the country.

I know people will say "it depends on what you want" so for a bit of context I'll be looking for a job as a software engineer, I'm early 30s, single and travelling alone. I'm not looking for a mad night life and I suppose the milder the weather the better. So I'm all ears for recommendations of your favourite places in Canada :)

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,814 ✭✭✭irishman86

Shine7 wrote: »
    Most of the threads seem to be people asking for advice about only Vancouver or Toronto. I'm not tied to going to anywhere in particular so I'd love to get a few opinions on a cross section of places around the country.

I know people will say "it depends on what you want" so for a bit of context I'll be looking for a job as a software engineer, I'm early 30s, single and travelling alone. I'm not looking for a mad night life and I suppose the milder the weather the better. So I'm all ears for recommendations of your favourite places in Canada :)

Vancouver would be milder than Toronto in the winter
    But Toronto get nicer summers
    Toronto for me is my fave city outside of Sydney but then i follow the American sports like Baseball & NBA and Buffalo is close enough to catch a NFL game
    I'm not a nightclub kind of guy but do enjoy a couple of beers on a friday and there are some lovely bars in Toronto
    Then there are places like the beaches and the Islands for a relaxing day
    tbh thats like less than a % of the stuff in Toronto. If you have any questions in particular ill be more than happy to answer them

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,587 ✭✭✭circular flexing

If you like mild weather, then west of the Rockies is your only choice. The last couple of summers in Vancouver have been pretty nice (aside from all the forest fires...). It's definitely a sleepier town than Toronto though with probably not as much to do.

Other options would be Kelowna in the Okanagan region or Victora on Vancouver Island.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭el diablo

Other options would be Kelowna in the Okanagan region or Victora on Vancouver Island.

May not be the best locations for a software engineer to be seeking employment though. ;)

We're all in this psy-op together.🤨

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,587 ✭✭✭circular flexing

el diablo wrote: »
    May not be the best locations for a software engineer to be seeking employment though. ;)

There's a fair bit of tech springing up in Victoria due to the housing shortage in Vancouver, and I know of quite a few people working in tech in Kelowna.

• Registered Users Posts: 562 ✭✭✭artvandelay48

Shine7 wrote: »

There's a good few tech companies in Kitchener-Waterloo. These companies probably pay the same as in Toronto but the living costs are cheaper. Only an hour from Toronto if you want to visit the big smoke.

• Advertisement
Advertisement