Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Koln Marathon 7th October 2018

Options
  • 14-04-2018 9:41am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,834 ✭✭✭

Am just throwing this up to see if anybody else may be running/planning on running it.

[URL]http:///koeln-marathon.de/[/URL]

Usual flat German route, finishing in the backdrop of the famous Koln Cathedral, currently €89 to enter which isn't bad. Great support on the route and the promise of free kolsch at the finish. Anyone else?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭djemba djemba

I did it last year. Cannot recommend it enough. It was brilliant from expo to the beers at the end. Any questions feel free to give me a shout.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,643 ✭✭✭ThePiedPiper

Ryanair seems pretty dear to fly to Cologne. Any other options?

• Registered Users Posts: 642 ✭✭✭cyclocross!

German wings? If they still exist!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,834 ✭✭✭OOnegative

Eurowings €150 flying from Dublin out Friday coming back Monday of marathon weekend per Google flights

Dusseldorf is about an hour away by train

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,339 ✭✭✭chabsey

Having only done one marathon before (DCM) how would the timing of this one work with the DCM this year? I'd like to run Dublin again and I figure if I'm trained by that time of year then why not do another?

But, from a novice point of view would the timing of training / recovery time mean that these two are not a good match?

• Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭mo_bhicycle

Anyone know how Koln marathon compares with Frankfurt in terms of getting a fast time?
    I've been thinking of registering for Koln and having Dublin as my backup in case anything goes wrong with injury/illness ... but Frankfurt looks fairly tempting.

Anyone know how Koln marathon compares with Frankfurt in terms of getting a fast time?
    I've been thinking of registering for Koln and having Dublin as my backup in case anything goes wrong with injury/illness ... but Frankfurt looks fairly tempting.

What time you looking at? Frankfurt would have a much deeper field.

• Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭mo_bhicycle

OOnegative wrote: »
    What time you looking at? Frankfurt would have a much deeper field.
    Somewhere in the 2:50 -> 2:45 range if I can make it through training

Somewhere in the 2:50 -> 2:45 range if I can make it through training

Frankfurt would be much better option for you so IMHO. Field there is stronger than Berlin even.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 601 ✭✭✭Slow_Runner

chabsey wrote: »
    Having only done one marathon before (DCM) how would the timing of this one work with the DCM this year? I'd like to run Dublin again and I figure if I'm trained by that time of year then why not do another?

But, from a novice point of view would the timing of training / recovery time mean that these two are not a good match?
    It depends - everybody is different. A lot has to do with your running history - you say you've only 1 marathon under your belt so 2 marathons in 3 weeks might be a push - even racing Koln and jogging Dublin you may leave yourself open to injury - however lots have done it in the past but a lot of these would have years of running experience and multiple marathons ran.
    Personally I would only do one race - thinking in the longer term, if you want to be running in years to come then there is plenty of time to do either race, however running back to back so soon may burn you out and put you off running if you have a bad experience

How is all the training going for köln. Not long to go now.

How is all the training going for köln. Not long to go now.

Done now, traveling Friday afternoon. Any words of wisdom for me?

Done now, traveling Friday afternoon. Any words of wisdom for me?

Enjoy every minute in the city. It is a great city.

The half starts 90 mins before the full. So the toilets by the start line are grim by the time you get there. So either get sorted in your accommodation or bring toilet roll with you.

DHL look after the bag drop and seemed very efficient.

I dont remember been over crowded at the start, so handy to get into rhythm.

There is a relay on to, so if there is runners flying past you dont worry about it. They are meant to wear a sign on their back but some dont.

After the finish line. Don't go to the first kolsch stand. Thats alcohol free. Further on you will get it with alcohol.

I liked the last 200 metres of so reminds me of a F1 one track.

After the marathon get into the gaffel am dom. Good food, its right by the cathedral so probably more expensive than other places but its deadly.

If I can think of anything else before you head off I will post again.

Best of luck and trust the training.

Enjoy every minute in the city. It is a great city.

The half starts 90 mins before the full. So the toilets by the start line are grim by the time you get there. So either get sorted in your accommodation or bring toilet roll with you.

DHL look after the bag drop and seemed very efficient.

I dont remember been over crowded at the start, so handy to get into rhythm.

There is a relay on to, so if there is runners flying past you dont worry about it. They are meant to wear a sign on their back but some dont.

After the finish line. Don't go to the first kolsch stand. Thats alcohol free. Further on you will get it with alcohol.

I liked the last 200 metres of so reminds me of a F1 one track.

After the marathon get into the gaffel am dom. Good food, its right by the cathedral so probably more expensive than other places but its deadly.

If I can think of anything else before you head off I will post again.

Best of luck and trust the training.

Did you use the showers at the finish by any chance?

Did you use the showers at the finish by any chance?

I didn't but my wife did. They were grand she said.

I didn't but my wife did. They were grand she said.

Brilliant, thanks very much for the advice.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭career move

According to the tracking, Oo went through 10k in 45:02 and halfway in 1:35:26. Keep it up Barry :D

The app is pretty cool I have to say. Barry is currently running up Amsterdamer St past Kölner Zoo :D
    Through 30k in 2:16:23

It looks like he's just done a lap of a residential area and is now heading back past the park (and the zoo :D) towards the finish. Through 35k in 2:39:09. Keeping a really solid pace. Good stuff Barry

• Advertisement

He's about to run past a brewery and several hamburger outlets. I wonder is he dreaming of a cold beer and a big juicy burger. Probably not :D

Through 40k in 3:04:11. Starting to come under a bit of pressure now. Come on Barry

On the home straight. Motoring. Yay :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,140 ✭✭✭snailsong

I was getting worried there. He still has a big buffer to get his goal and a big pb. C'mon Baz.

3:15:10

Woohoo you nailed it Barry. Super stuff. Enjoy :D

Excellent! Toughed out the last few k. 5 min pb or thereabouts.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,140 ✭✭✭martyboy48

I hear he continued running back to the brewery and burger joints ☺

Well done B, recover well......

martyboy48 wrote: »
    I hear he continued running back to the brewery and burger joints ☺

Well done B, recover well......

4 minute kms on the way back.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,582 ✭✭✭Swashbuckler

Brilliant stuff. Well done B.

Thanks for the updates!

• Advertisement