Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best way to legally stay in the US.

Options
  • 14-04-2018 12:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭

Hi there folks,

I have been searching around and trying to figure out the best way to go about this. My plan in the future is to save for a couple of months, maybe a year and try and go to a film school over in New York or any film school in the US.

My dream is to become a movie director and unfortunately with the fact that i didn't complete my leaving cert, i can't imagine any way of me being able to do this. I'm only 19 so i cannot go to college until im 23. So i feel like even if i do try and enter the US, I will either be denied a Visa, or i won't be accepted to any of these film schools.

Is there anything i can do about this?
    I do regret not finishing school, but due to family issues i couldn't have done it.

Will i stand any chance of ever being able to move to the US?

If you guys know anything i could do to help go in the right direction, please let me know. Any response would be much appreciated. Thanks!

Regards,
    Dylan.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,531 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

As you are only 19 would you not consider going back now and doing the LC?

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭Dylan12345

yabadabado wrote: »
    As you are only 19 would you not consider going back now and doing the LC?

That is my best bet and i am definitely considering it.

• Registered Users Posts: 715 ✭✭✭ianob7

I'd have to agree with yabadabado and say getting the L.C would be the best option then try and pursue your dreams stateside

Mr.S wrote: »
    You can get a student F1 visa to cover you while you are studying, but the school needs to be on an approved list. You also can't work legally (bar on-campus employment with the school) so you'll need to have a large amount of savings.

But, you do know international fees for US schools are insanely expensive?

I would have imagined it was extremely expensive. How much roughly would you say exactly?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,707 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

Dylan12345 wrote:
    I would have imagined it was extremely expensive. How much roughly would you say exactly?

Have you honestly not even looked at the websites of any of the schools you're interested in?

• Advertisement

Dial Hard wrote: »
    Have you honestly not even looked at the websites of any of the schools you're interested in?

Well, for example. I have been looking at the New York Film Academy and i don't see pricing listed. I have requested information from their website. From old searches, i noticed that colleges can cost up to 50k. I figured the pricing would be similiar for these film colleges.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,531 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

Dylan12345 wrote: »

Approx $25K minimum.

• Registered Users Posts: 715 ✭✭✭ianob7

Dylan12345 wrote: »
    Well, for example. I have been looking at the New York Film Academy and i don't see pricing listed. I have requested information from their website. From old searches, i noticed that colleges can cost up to 50k. I figured the pricing would be similiar for these film colleges.

https://www.nyfa.edu/admissions/dates_tuition/program.php?courseb=MFA%20Filmmaking&course=Filmmaking&application=app1&recnum=45

• Registered Users Posts: 10,022 ✭✭✭✭cena

Don't forget you can only work on the college grounds. I think it can't more than 10 hours a week

• Registered Users Posts: 15,242 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

OP you really need to start with getting the Leaving Cert.

Go back to school in September.
    Get a good leaving cert.
    Get into a film course in an Irish University.
    Be top of your class for the 3 or 4 years of the degree course.
    Apply for a post graduate course in NYC.
    They might accept you.
    And while doing the above save like crazy and also apply for the DV lottery every year.

But the leaving cert is the starting point, I even think you have to have it for the DV lottery if you happen to win it.

• Advertisement

OP you really need to start with getting the Leaving Cert.

Go back to school in September.
    Get a good leaving cert.
    Get into a film course in an Irish University.
    Be top of your class for the 3 or 4 years of the degree course.
    Apply for a post graduate course in NYC.
    They might accept you.
    And while doing the above save like crazy and also apply for the DV lottery every year.

But the leaving cert is the starting point, I even think you have to have it for the DV lottery if you happen to win it.

You're completely right. I'm going to look into some schools. The thing about school is i hate it so much. Not so much being there and learning. But the ****ing people. Man teenagers are absolute *****. Pardon my french. It's just one of the worst parts about school.

Anyway, Thank you. I will look more into doing 6th year!

Advertisement