Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Low maintenance but durable lawn/ground cover

Options
  • 14-04-2018 2:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 610 ✭✭✭

I've got a "spare" 2 acres or so and I like to let things grow with as little interference as possible, so have set aside a few corners to run wild. This has been successful insofar as there are nettles as a habitat for butterflies, different wildflowers growing even in areas where I didn't scatter seed, etc. I'm turning over part of the ground for a small-scale campsite, i.e. for people to pitch tents rather than park caravans. At the minute the total area is about 1200 square metres and is bare soil. I know the usual thing to do is have a grass pitch, but I'm curious about other options such as possibly chamomile, wild thyme or heath pearlwort (aka Irish moss). For example, the lawn variety of chamomile doesn't grow as tall as grass, so cutting would be less frequent, and there would be a nice perfume off it. But would it wear down too much with moderate-to-frequent foot traffic in the summer? I'd welcome any suggestions for other alternatives to grass which won't grow more than 6-10 inches and which could take the traffic. Assuming I end up going with seed rather than plugs, I would want to order seed by Monday so as to get sowing by the end of the week, otherwise it won't have time to be established for the summer. So I need to make a decision pretty quickly!

Advertisement