Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

April Is Poetry Month In Limerick 2018

• 14-04-2018 6:10pm
    Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,908 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I think too many events are by-passing the attentions of this forum, and the current poetry festival is one that I'd like to highlight before it's over. Things like the Siege of Limerick and the recent Fringe Festival deserved bigger publicity around here.

The Limerick Writers' Centre have been running this festival for a few years now but this is the biggest and best effort yet. There's an array of events including poetry readings, musical performances, lectures, book launches, and a competition for people to write their own limericks.

https://www.facebook.com/April-Is-Poetry-Month-In-Limerick-1666596723600620/

It kicked off at the start of the month but there's plenty still to look forward to. The Éigse Michael Hartnett Festival in Newcastle West is running this weekend too, while the Limerick Poets' Society had a tribute at their weekly get-together on Wednesday to the legendary Barney Sheahan.

28870668_1984146345178988_5937543860333479891_n.jpg?_nc_cat=0&efg=eyJpIjoidCJ9&oh=cccc437a1f6e828acfa708cfd63d509a&oe=5B294CBE

Something for everyone, as they say.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 657 ✭✭✭Vladimir Poontang

Some of it looks interesting and some of it I wouldn't touch with a bargepole because the people involved are utter cnuts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,514 ✭✭✭Silentcorner

EVA kicked off today as well.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

mod note: unnecessary post. Please don't label a group who are volunteers like that. If it's that bad why not volunteer yourself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,551 ✭✭✭panda100

Great idea Insect Overlord. I don't think anyone bothers reading the 'Stuff that's on in Limerick' thread.
    It kicked off at the start of the month but there's plenty still to look forward to. The Éigse Michael Hartnett Festival in Newcastle West is running this weekend too, while the Limerick Poets' Society had a tribute at their weekly get-together on Wednesday to the legendary Barney Sheahan.

I think its lovely that the poets had a tribute to Barney. He was a man I had huge admiration and respect for and Limerick has been a lot less colourful in the last week or so since his passing.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,908 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

The Writers' Society in Mary I launched their creative writing annual last week as well, in a very low-key way. Very limited production (numbers wise) and no official "event" to mark it, but a fabulous journal all the same.

They could learn a bit about the pageantry side of things from UL, who I believe are preparing to launch their 4th annual Ogham Stone in May. Plenty going on in this little city.

https://m.facebook.com/events/1611251435654709
    The Ogham Stone will be launched on Thursday 3rd May at 5.15pm in the Millstream Common Room, UL. The event will feature readings by contributors; refreshments will be served, and copies of the journal will be on sale on the evening. Members of the public are welcome to attend.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,551 ✭✭✭panda100

I haven't managed to make it to any of the EVA exhibits yet,aside from the Repeal procession on the opening day but this is a wicked article on it. Great seeing articles like this about Limerick :)

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,908 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

I'm working in a school at the moment where one of the teachers is making a fantastic effort to get the kids enjoying poetry for the month. They're writing original poems in different styles (rhymes, haiku, cinquains) and taking turns reading nonsense verses and funny rhymes, and performing other poems for the other classes. They have a sction on the classroom wall just for their own poems.

It's fantastic to see them embracing the various ideas. Even at 9 or 10 years of age they know that not all poems have to rhyme.

The Limerick area has a tremendous heritage when it comes to poetry and verse, going back to the Maigue gatherings and Cúirteanna Filíochta. The forms and fashions may have changed, but there's still a great tradition in this city and county.

Advertisement